Attention VISTA users!!! (Shell.exe is NOT needed)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attention VISTA users!!! (Shell.exe is NOT needed)

Deadmeat1971

Attention VISTA users!!! (Shell.exe is NOT needed)

This is a copy from previous threads (and post). How do I apply a Sticky on this so it doesn't disappear? Thanks.

If you had read all the posts I've presented (it was a continuing and learning process), it didn't take long to figure this out. Check El Super Ad and Family Dollar Ad. After doing series of tests on ETO and Game Ranger, I had posted a ***warning*** under ETO 1.02 Multiplaying in VISTA thread here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ead.php?t=8334

From this experience, you could see why I have come to this conclusion...

Once again, I apologize for those who went all the trouble in installing OFF Phase 2, just to get that Shell.exe file. It has come to my realization is that you don't really need the Shell.exe in order to make the multiplaying work under VISTA.

Read this carefully:

HOW TO PLAY MULTIPLAYING FOR THE ORIGINAL
    MICROSOFT COMBAT FLIGHT SIMULATOR 3
    UNDER VISTA

This is only applied for VISTA users, XP users do NOT need it to host or join servers for VISTA players.
    Requires just the original CFS3 only!

Here what you do to make it work for the CFS3:

Copy the cfs3.exe from your CFS3 folder (example: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 3) and paste it into a different folder. Under this different folder, rename this cfs3.exe (by right-clicking the mouse button to select 'Rename') into whatever name you choose--like cfs3mp.exe, cfs3vista.exe, vistacfs3.exe, etc..

Suppose, you renamed it cfs3mp.exe. Now, cut this new cfs3mp.exe back into the main CFS3 folder (example: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 3).

Next, make a shortcut on your desktop to browse for the cfs3mp.exe under your CFS3 folder. Once the shortcut is created, right-click the mouse button on the shortcut to bring up the 'Properties'. Click on 'Properties'. Select the tab, 'Compatibility', and then check 'Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (Service Pack 2)' under Compatibility mode.

Try that---join a mutiplaying server.

If CFS3 doesn't start correctly, try running it as an administrator either by:

1) Right-clicking the shortcut icon again and choose 'Run as adminstrator'
    or
    2) Check 'Run this program as an adminstrator' under Privilege Level which is also located under the tab, 'Compatibility', in 'Properties'.

That's it!

The Shell.exe was actually probably a stock cfs3.exe renamed. It was only modified by its name!

By following the complete instructions from above, just rename the cfs3.exe into whatever name you choose from the top of your head. Once again, you could try sample names like vista.exe, cfs3vista.exe, vistacfs3.exe, cfs3mp.exe, whale.exe, etc., as long it's not cfs3.exe!

Once again, thanks for my beta testers and those who has and still continued to spread the words...

Thank you.

Good grief!

Thank you, Deadmeat! :friday:

Axenti
    It is idd GOOD GRIEF, if you know that all of us is sitting with our nose on the sollution all the time and dont knew about it? But if you take the fact that we are the buyer of the game, CFS3 krack headed producing guys of the all great microsoft game CFS3 did not give us the sollution it is DEADMEAT (BUYER) that came up with the solvation so in the first place THANK YOU SIR! and in the second place to the microsoft producers of the game if they ever pas by on this topic thanks to this guy CFS3 has a future so pay him :-p

Deadmeat1971

For off phase 3.

See this thread if you're interesting playing OFF PHASE 3 under VISTA.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ead.php?t=9644

Thanks.

Mr Meat

Well Done
    BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBLINK

Yup it works!

good job deadmeat i did like you said and it works without any problems
    [SIGPIC]hellfish.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    Danimalhanke AKA: CERTIFIED FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR, Danimal, Fatdaddy, FatDaddy=VIII=, Hey! You!, Dumbass, and Sarge.
    You can call me anything you want, but don't call me late for dinner!

I'm using cfs3 on a vista powered laptop right now, works great, no issues so far!

Axgrinder
    What is the situation with Hosting MP games. Can you host games if you run Vista 64?:help:

Deadmeat1971

To Axgrinder..

Axgrinder,

By using the renamed cfs3.exe (like cfs3mp.exe, cfs3vista.exe, etc.), you should be able to host the normal way. I have with success on my laptop Vista 32-bit (Home Premium)..

Try it one night if you can and see if anyone can join. Don't forget to post the ip and such. Take care and good luck.

Thanks Deadmeat

Nice going Deadmeat. Now your going to let all the rabble in, LOL! But seriously, thanks for all your hard work on this, and keeping CFS3 not only viable but, along with the efforts of so many others, argueable the best WWII flight sim on the planet. We also have, without a doubt, the best group of enthusiasts to share our passion with.

Joe Dunlap aka LeMay

What a great discovery

I now have two ETO installs and one CFS3 install all patched and running on line multiplayer with no issues.

Great work man!!!!!

:ernae:

TW
    PTO RS MP Missions nights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quLMot-_Vik

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

blitz27
    i've did this but when i try to connect to the private game i cant, it says that my version is incopatible from the server. I installed the 3.1 update, 3.1a and the mission pack. There is another update that I need to install?

What can I do?

Is anybody running CFS3 with Vista 64? If so, are there any issues?

swimmer111
    Copy the cfs3.exe from your CFS3 folder (example: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 3) and paste it into a different folder. Under this different folder, rename this cfs3.exe (by right-clicking the mouse button to select 'Rename') into whatever name you choose--like cfs3mp.exe, cfs3vista.exe, vistacfs3.exe, etc..

Suppose, you renamed it cfs3mp.exe. Now, cut this new cfs3mp.exe back into the main CFS3 folder (example: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 3). -Dead Meat, so Deadmeat, where should the new cfs3mp.exe folder's location be, like in the program files or what? I'm kinda technilogically impaired and I don't know a ton about files and stuff so you have to be specific about this, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by swimmer111 View Post

Suppose, you renamed it cfs3mp.exe. Now, cut this new cfs3mp.exe back into the main CFS3 folder (example: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 3). -Dead Meat, so Deadmeat, where should the new cfs3mp.exe folder's location be, like in the program files or what? I'm kinda technilogically impaired and I don't know a ton about files and stuff so you have to be specific about this, thanks!
    It can be anywhere. The easiest thing is to just create one on your desk top. Right mouse click on your desktop and go to New and then Folder.

Once you have the new folder follow his instructions.

TW

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hello swimmer111

It goes back into the main CFS3 folder, Follow the path he gave back into the main CFS3 folder (example: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 3)

Hehe....an upside down ghost.....and just part of the herd~!

Looks like Ghost03 got an overdose of alfalfa , showing all the symptoms

green plane, flying upside down, disoriented

(Of course you know I'm just kidding )

Quote Originally Posted by Lightman View Post
    It goes back into the main CFS3 folder, Follow the path he gave back into the main CFS3 folder (example: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 3)
    Hey Lighty. It's a little confusing quote and question he posted. I read it that he is looking for the location of the Folder to copy the original CFS3.exe to before changing it. There is no folder by default so he has to create it. This is not explained in detail in Deadmeats original post

But then again maybe I am wrong......

TW

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Live: Western Maryland. From: North Central West, By God, Virginia.

Clarification for this procedure

To all,

Note: You will have to allow extensions for all known file types to be seen on your machine, or the re-naming will not work.

Here is how to do that:

For seeing hidden files and folders, and revealing file-name extentions:
    Open a folder, say My Documents. At top left click on Organize and then Folder and Search Options. Click on View and you will find both selections in the list.

Here goes. Maybe this will seem clearer:

1. Copy the cfs3.exe icon from the Combat Flight Simulator 3 main game folder in question and paste it to a safe location anywhere outside of the main game folder. Your desktop will do just fine.

2. Go out to your desktop, or where ever you copied it to, and rename it to whatever name you choose, keeping the extension intact (*.exe). Example: Rename cfs3.exe to cfs3mp.exe.

3. Cut (DO NOT COPY) and paste this newly-named icon from the desktop (or where else you copied it to) from there, back into the Combat Flight Simulator 3 main game folder.

Note: Do not delete the original cfs3.exe from your main game folder.

4. While still in the Combat Flight Simulator 3 main game folder at this time, right-click on the newly-pasted icon and send it to the desktop. This will be your CFS3 Start icon.

5. Now go back out onto the desktop and look for the new cfs3mp.exe you just sent there. Then right-click on it and select Properties. Thenpick Compatability and check "'Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (Service Pack 2)" under Compatability mode. You may also want to choose "Run as administrator".

I hope this helps.:d

Tooth, Fang, & Claw

Another use for sheep: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2FX9rviEhw

swimmer111
    how do I create an account if I can't connect to the game server and everythings from IP to IP??

how do I create an account if I can't connect to the game server and everythings from IP to IP??
    You don't need to create an account, in fact you can't, look in the post ip section here. Make note of an on line game IP go to multiplayer in CFS3 and click on join private game. Enter the IP there, click OK and you will connect to the private game

See you there

TW

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

<Luca>
    I have just build a pc with vista installed , i have followed the instructions and multiplayer run good.
    Tank you very very much.

Live: Western Maryland. From: North Central West, By God, Virginia.
    Quote Originally Posted by <Luca> View Post
    I have just build a pc with vista installed , i have followed the instructions and multiplayer run good.
    Tank you very very much.
    Luca, Bro. Wondered what happened to you.

Thank Deadmeat1971. Welcome back! That mod works with ETO, too. Unfortunately, it does not work with GameRanger.:d

Tooth, Fang, & Claw

Another use for sheep: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2FX9rviEhw

Sorry, still have problems with multiplayer session. No possible to set any property to avoid cashing cfs3. So madness.
    :isadizzy: