Retro RNAS Fans Ahoy! FS9 Stations work good in FSX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retro RNAS Fans Ahoy! FS9 Stations work good in FSX

Blog Entries

Retro RNAS Fans Ahoy! FS9 Stations work good in FSX

From the FS9 forum, but Hooky has out out a superb Retro RNAS pack ... that works in FSX - hooray!

I haven't worried about AI per se at the moment, but at the very least as a scenery - it's quite nice!

Posted here (warbirds) under latest files.

dl

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Oho! I wondered about that..I put in a RNAS Culdrose scenery-was supposed to have been FSX- but I think its a 9.works OK, but there were a few trees on the taxiways-legacy of the 1980's airfield 'toning down', I suppose. Thanks for the HU!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    Oho! I wondered about that..I put in a RNAS Culdrose scenery-was supposed to have been FSX- but I think its a 9.works OK, but there were a few trees on the taxiways-legacy of the 1980's airfield 'toning down', I suppose. Thanks for the HU!
    My pleasure. Lossie worked like a charm. Yeovilton had a bizarre all-black terrain surface - no grass, no pavement. Maybe some problem with the exclude zone thing?

Great package - with some tweaking, should be supeb for FSX. But even if all I get is one or two working sceneries, I'm thrilled.

dl

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Culdrose, Brawdy, and Predannack look fine, good frames- no display issues, I've just got to get rid of some BGLs for a older Predannack thats left a bunch of splanged Stallions and flipped Cubs on the airfield, and some junk on one runway...
    enough for today-huh. Its tommorrow already!

DL,

I thought you would pick up on this one mate!

So your verdict is it works well in FSX? Funnily enough we are need of some good Lossie scenery!

Cheers,

Fraser.

Blog Entries
    Yes Fras,

Lossie is perfect. Perhaps a few more static items could spruce her up to add some more atmosphere, but there are no terrain or other problems, so needless to say, I'm very happy. I'm a bit bummed about Yeovilton - clearly an issue around the exclude in FSX - but hey, it was designed for FS9, so these things can be expected from time to time.

As you can see, Laz peeked into the others, and barring few issues here and there, they're ok too.

We've been blessed, no doubt!

Daniel

Blog Entries

FSX update possible ...

So, just got a surprise note in my inbox from Hooky - says the enthusiastic reception in FSX has prompted him to consider a fix for Yeovilton in FSX. I swear I didn't ask ..... By way of context, the problem with Yeovilton in FSX is thus:

Attachment 42269

The problem appears to be the way the google earth images they used appear in FSX. One option was to toss them out. The other is to fix them. So he posed the following question to me:

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky722
    First thing i want to try is changing the texture format. do you know what the default texture format is that FSX uses to display semi transparent/transparent textures (e.g DXT3 or DXT5 or what) that may do it . if you could find this information out for me I think i could get away without ditching the photoreal segments of the scenery.

Regards Hooky
    Any FSX scenery experts know the answer on the format?

Many kind regards,

dl

Hi All

Let me just clarify the issue at hand! all the black areas on that image are supposed to be transparent. for some reason FSX is not reading the DXT1 alpha channel transparencies. Not having made the leap myself from FS9 to FSX yet I have sent DL a copy of the texture saved as both a DXT3 and DXT5 and see if that resolves the problem.

Kind Regards

Hooky722:salute:

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    Culdrose, Brawdy, and Predannack look fine, good frames- no display issues, I've just got to get rid of some BGLs for a older Predannack thats left a bunch of splanged Stallions and flipped Cubs on the airfield, and some junk on one runway...
    enough for today-huh. Its tommorrow already!
    that sounds about right for Predannack

Charter Member 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooky722 View Post
    that sounds about right for Predannack

And Merryfield.

Bruce
    My system specs are The wifey says no to a new computer

You could try changing that texture to 32 bit I suspect FSX does not like DXT1, it looks like a alpha channel problem, if it was in Fs 9 I would have gone for missing mipmaps had the same sort of thing before in Fs 9 which turned out to be missing mipmaps, does'nt seem to be the case here, is this altitude related ie at any height or at higher altitudes ???

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    You could try changing that texture to 32 bit I suspect FSX does not like DXT1, it looks like a alpha channel problem, if it was in Fs 9 I would have gone for missing mipmaps had the same sort of thing before in Fs 9 which turned out to be missing mipmaps, does'nt seem to be the case here, is this altitude related ie at any height or at higher altitudes ???
    I'm pretty sure its a problem at any altitude DL just PM'd me saying the DXT3/5 conversion was no good I am unfamiliar with mipmaps can someone fill me in on what they are? and is it something I can fix using DXTbitmap???

Failing that the only alternative I can see at the moment anyway is to pull the Photoreal segments Completely It would be a shame but I cant see an alternative. I'll try converting the textures to 32bit later tonight

Regards

Hooky

Blog Entries
    Thanks for at least trying Hooky - much appreciated.

Rich, the texture issue is present throughout, irrespective of height.

dl

OK folks here's the plan...

I've converted the offending texture to 32 bit and sent it to DL for testing that probably wont happen till tomorrow now (in British time!!!) but if that fails (and until i can experiment further in my own time) temporally removing 'Yeovilton.bgl' from the Scenery folder should make the airfield show up correctly it may look a bit square around the edges but that's because the default AFCAD grass polygon was fitted around the photo parts (those with AFCAD could probably remove it it was only fitted to help those without the default fs green 'splodge' where the default airfield was sat.) But here's hoping the 32bit conversion works

Regards

Hooky:salute:

Blog Entries
    Hello Hooky et al,

Well, sadly, the 32 bit texture was no different. I followed your advice and took out the yeovilton.bgl, and found that got rid of the offending black patch.

Attachment 42646

Of course, it also got left us with a rather bland grass-like background - but that's I believe what Hooky figured would happen.

Not ideal, but it's better than before. And since it's only on this scenery, on balance it's a small price to pay for an otherwise perfect (if not intended) FSX portover.

Hooky, thanks so much for trying - maybe a scenery expert can comment further.

Digging the rest of the scenery, though ...

dl

there will be some custom NAS AI, both FS9 and FSX for this pack

here is the Sea Vixen in use

Attachment 42719

Blog Entries
    For FSX??? Sweet!

I saw the FS9 post, but didn't want to say anything until it came it and had a chance to test to see if the AI ported over in FSX. But FSX-out-of-the-box AI ... most excellent!

dl

Blog Entries
    Most excellent news, Gaffer!!!

Well, on queue, on the airfield side of the biz .... solved! Hooky's new AFCAD did the trick.

Attachment 42762

Many thanks, H - we "Xers" will appreciate this already good package even more - all issues (I know of) solved.

dl

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    *Many thanks, H - we "Xers" will appreciate this already good package even more - all issues (I know of) solved.

dl
    Mission Accomplished!!! I'll release it as a patch In the Library on Monday take care guys All the best

Hooky:salute:**

PATCH RELEASED

Hi all

The RNAS Yeovilton patch has just been uploaded to the Library Just delete the RNAS Yeoviltion Folder from the FS9 install and replace with the one is this patch should wind up with something that looks like DL's screenie posted earlier.

The AI Looks Great btw looking forward to it

Kind Regards

Hooky722

Blog Entries
    Woohoo!

Hooky - you're a star, mate! Looking forward to the final install tonight.

Gaffer - you're on fire! Those Wessex's are superb. Will there be any RN FAA schemes? The beauty of a proper AI Wessex is not only the Westland models, but in the absence of a proper AI S-58/H-34 it would do nicely in a pinch.

Regardless, I'm stoked for it's RN/RAF applications. And the Sea Vixen - stellar!!

Many kind thanks!!!

dl

indeed, since this are for the RNAS airfields, there will be RN schemes, Iam just using the RAF one for testing

BTW they also hover taxi
    Attachment 43124