DRMO Ft.Riley KS

Thread: DRMO Ft.Riley KS

poet,traveler

DRMO Ft.Riley KS

I am at Fort Riley delivering to DRMO which is the Defense Reutilization and Marketing Office,otherwise known as a big junkyard full of toys.I am delivering a bunch of stuff from Offutt AFB in Omaha,NE.

Man you should see the acres of trucks waiting to be disposed of,along with an AMX-30.I never thought I would see that,this place has so much stuff laying around.
    Of course I know what I'm doing,gee whiz......ouch,owwwww

The other side of the coin is that most of the stuff is worthless.....interesting to look over, but not worth much more than the material that's in it. You can pick up some interesting parts, but DRMO auctions it in such a way that it's difficult to get what you need without buying the whole lot.

You can buy computer parts by the pound if you want, but before my unit sends anything to DRMO, it's gutted and trashed.

Did get some nice furniture once though.....back when the U.S. sold off it's original contracted household furniture in Germany. The stuff contracted right after the war was excellent.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

poet,traveler
    Here are a few photos from this morning,multiply the trucks you see by about 20 and you start to get an idea how much stuff is laying around.

What I'm wondering is why in the world a French AMX-30 and an old original model M-60 are there,the M-60 is in the background near the M-88.

Of course I know what I'm doing,gee whiz......ouch,owwwww

I was able to go peruse the DRMO lot at PSAB right before the base closed. I found a small fridge that was still cold. Needless to say, it made the trip back to our base and I'm sure is still in use today. I couldn't get over the things that were thrown out. Of course, in many cases it is most likely cheaper to scrap and replace the items than to transport them to another base.

I'll bet that the AMX, the M-115 8" (203mm) towed howitzer and the M-110 SP 8" howitzer will find good homes in a military museum.

The old M-60 tanks usually end up on army ranges. They make great targets for artillery and antitank weapons.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

When I was active duty, we'd scrounge DRMO fairly often just to see what we could come up with.

I worked at Red River Army Depot near Texarkana as a mechanic for a few years during my break from the Navy in the early 80s. I remember we got in a bunch of M-114 scout vehicles that we were stripping off the command gondolas and the military lights for reuse on M-113 family vehicles. Then the 114s would go to be eventually sold off. They came with 283 Chevy small blocks and auto transmissions and I always figured they'd make a great ATV if you put a new small block 350 crate motor in there. But you'd need to buy a few of the vehicles to have spare parts. But by the time I left there, they still weren't up for sale.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.