FSX for the beginner

Thread: FSX for the beginner

Spudz

FSX for the beginner

Hi all,

Phew, managed to register on the site at long last Tighter then Fort knox Sorry if this is in the wrong thread but have recently obtained FSX after a long think as was pulled between this and FS2004. Hope I made the right choice.

Ok, I am most of the way through the basic missions plus updated to Sp1 and 2. Is there any other addons that I should be seriously looking at to improve gameplay and add a career? Preferably free as money does not grow on tress here.

Welcome to the outhouse Spudz. You'll find that there is a wealth of information to be gained by being a part of the family here. Most everyone is helpful and you'll also find that many of the payware developers call this place home as well, so the knowledge base here is pretty impressive.

Since you've already progressed to the installation of SP1 and SP2, I won't suggest you go to "Acceleration" right now, but get your feet wet with what you have and build on that first. There is a sizable download area here at sim-outhouse by using the "Warbird's Library" tab at the top of the page. If you select "Warbird's Archive", and use the "search by author" window and type in Piglet, you'll find some of the very best freeware aircraft anywhere. Also use the other areas in the library to find some of Tim's more recent FSX native aircraft as well. You can't go wrong with any of his creations.

flightsim.com and Avsim.com are both excellent sites for finding freeware aircraft, scenery, repaints, etc. and many others will follow after me to give additional suggestions, so stay tuned and enjoy the forums.:salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Apart from Piglet's, there are also excellent freeware birds by Dave Garwood (Beaufighter, Auster Autocrat etc) and a great Tiger Moth by Anthony Lynch

Scenery wise, try the great freebee's by ORBX, Tasmania and PNW, they are outstanding!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Spudz
    Thanks for the info guys. I did look at a few of the planes and scenery but only installed one for now (UPS Livery on the 737) as I am more of a commercial fan than fighters. I have combat sims for that area as I don't see the point of flying a fighter if I can't shoot something down

I have been rather interested in the Airline and Cargo pilot add ons. Gives me purpose in the game rather than flying for the pure hell of it

Quote Originally Posted by Spudz View Post
    I have been rather interested in the Airline and Cargo pilot add ons. Gives me purpose in the game rather than flying for the pure hell of it
    Then FS Passengers X is for you.

Combine it with Active Sky Evolution and Radar Contact 4 as well as all World Of AI packages and tons of AFX files and you'll get a pretty good airliner experience.

Download all of Dino Cattaneo's aircraft. They are (with the exception of one) all free, and outstanding!

Once you get Acceleration, and start doing some aircraft carrier ops, you will be hooked!!! No pun intended!

Here's a couple:

<center>FSX Acceleration Grumman F-14D Tomcat
    </center> <center> [ Download | View ] </center>
    Name: f14da106.zip Size: 29,339,690 Date: 08-20-2009 Downloads: 19,684
    FSX Acceleration Grumman F-14D Tomcat v1.06. The Grumman F-14 Tomcat is a supersonic, twin-engine, two-seat, variable-sweep wing aircraft. The F14 was the United States Navy's primary maritime air superiority fighter, fleet defense interceptor and tactical reconnaissance platform from 1974 to 2006. This package contains an entirely new visual model, with self shadowing, bump mapping and photoreal hi-res textures, working virtual dynamic cockpit, 3D gauges and completely new flight model. Acceleration package required. Designed by Dino Cattaneo - see readme for full credits.

<center>FSX - FSX Modern Military </center> <center>FSX Acceleration Boeing/BAE T-45C Goshawk
    </center> <center> [ Download | View ] </center>
    Name: t45cv185.zip Size: 20,832,753 Date: 06-16-2009 Downloads: 9,405
    FSX Acceleration Boeing/BAE T-45C Goshawk v1.85. The T-45 Goshawk is a heavily modified version of the BAe Hawk single engine jet trainer, adapted to aircraft carrier ops. This package contains an entirely new visual model, with self shadowing, bump mapping and photoreal hi-res textures, working virtual dynamic cockpit, 3D gauges and reasonably accurate flight model. Version 1.85 includes several minor enhancements. Acceleration package required for HUD, MFD, sound and carrier ops. Designed by Dino Cattaneo. (Previous version had 1459 downloads)
    <hr align="center" size="2" width="600">

WELCOME!

NC

Hi Chief,
    Apparently he's a "Tuber", lol. Doesn't have any interest in Military Aircraft since he has his combat sim for that. I guess everyone has their own niche and his is Commercial aircraft.:salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Too bad! No, you can't shoot anything down, but they are so much fun to fly!!!

NC

+1 million for carrier ops

piglets Spad, Raz's Intruder, Dino's, Nimitz carrier, F-14 and T-45, the default F-18 (modified) etc...all make the cats and traps a buttery FSX biscuit be sure
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    +1 million for carrier ops

piglets Spad, Raz's Intruder, Dino's, Nimitz carrier, F-14 and T-45, the default F-18 (modified) etc...all make the cats and traps a buttery FSX biscuit be sure
    Of course I have to make a shameless plug for....yes, you know it......the RAZBAM Corsair II. Payware, yes. But a blast to do carrier ops with!!!

NC

Spudz
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Then FS Passengers X is for you.

Combine it with Active Sky Evolution and Radar Contact 4 as well as all World Of AI packages and tons of AFX files and you'll get a pretty good airliner experience.
    Excellent thanks, must google to find these add ons

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Download all of Dino Cattaneo's aircraft. They are (with the exception of one) all free, and outstanding!

Once you get Acceleration, and start doing some aircraft carrier ops, you will be hooked!!! No pun intended!

Here's a couple:
    I will download them and give it a go just to try them. Will let you know my thoughts later.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Hi Chief,
    Apparently he's a "Tuber", lol. Doesn't have any interest in Military Aircraft since he has his combat sim for that. I guess everyone has their own niche and his is Commercial aircraft.:salute:
    Not really a 'tuber' as you put it. I have some Air combat sims for fast movers (Lock-on and a few others) as well as the IL Stormovik series and recently purchased ROF. Of all the sims I have and the planes, I must say I actually prefer Vintage (Bi-planes and WWII) aircraft over the modern fighter jets. They were and always will be (imo) the best. As for commercial airliners, I enjoy the thrill of flying the big birds. They are more stable and can be a real challenge trying to put them down of strips not designed for their size

Quote Originally Posted by Spudz View Post
    I must say I actually prefer Vintage (Bi-planes and WWII) aircraft over the modern fighter jets. They were and always will be (imo) the best.
    OK, payware then: any of the A2A accusim offerings.
    But be warned: everything else is just plain boring after that...
    and though it does not grow on trees, this will be money well spent, as I'm sure everybody else will agree.
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Hello

Welcome to the outhouse... You are in flight simming heaven....the members here are the elite of the simming world, any question, any plane, any problem the folks here can figure it out.

1)flightsim.com for commercial modern complete freeware aircraft
    2)historic jetliner group for vintage jetliners..i.e. 707,727,etc.
    3)avsim.com for darn near everything
    4)simviation for addtional or upgraded stuff.
    5)when you feel like flying vintage Try Tim (piglet) conrads offerings.. Dave Garwoods beaufighter really is excellent..

that pretty much clears my knowledge base. FYI this site covers it all you just have to be patient to figure out how to navigate the different libraries...good luck enjoy your simming.

Ol'jarhead

Quote Originally Posted by LCBORDEN View Post
    ....the members here are the elite of the simming world....

Whoa! I'll take that as a compliment! I've never been called the elite of anything. Possibly "obselete" though!

NC

NAVY CHIEF

You may very well take it as a compliment...it is my heartfelt consideration of the members on this site. I am computer literate, but that is about it...so when someone pushes pixels into works of art, or someone designs software to make this hobby improve I am in awe...I am also on the recieving end of all this, and that is excellent.. I don't have many vises, so simming is my outlet, and it has been a great outlet....So keep up the great work guys....I for one APPRECIATE every darn bit of it.

Ol' Jarhead