Any one want to go for a walk?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any one want to go for a walk?

poet,traveler

Any one want to go for a walk?

April 15....the date of my demise as I attempt to walk the Appalachian Trail. C'mon out and lets take a stroll.I figure I'll be dead by the 19th but I'll leave enough money on the carcass for the first one to find me to have a good dinner on me.:d
    Of course I know what I'm doing,gee whiz......ouch,owwwww

Wow! Quite the challenge ahead of you! I admire your determination and willingness to attempt such a mission. Good Luck to you!

Take pictures

Question

Quote Originally Posted by safn1949 View Post
    April 15....the date of my demise as I attempt to walk the Appalachian Trail. C'mon out and lets take a stroll.I figure I'll be dead by the 19th but I'll leave enough money on the carcass for the first one to find me to have a good dinner on me.:d
    What section are you planning to hike? (or are you through-hiking?)

poet,traveler
    Thru hike.2175 miles.:d

I would love to walk part of the trail with you but unfortunately the Appalachian Trail doesn’t come close to Texas. But good luck on your adventure.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bring a weapon, don't store food on the ground too close to your campsite, bring some road flares in case of bears.

Quote Originally Posted by cheezyflier View Post
    bring a weapon, don't store food on the ground too close to your campsite, bring some road flares in case of bears.
    Bring a weapon...the bears will be food!

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    That is one GRAND goal. I hiked a small part of it with my Scout troop a few years back. We enjoyed it. It is a great trail.

Send us some pictures. We will follow you electronically.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

poet,traveler
    Sorry dude,no weapons.The trail is safer then most places and guns are dead weight(not to mention illegal in more then a few places),as it is I am trying to cut ounces out of my pack weight.

I don't want to carry 60 lbs like I did in Alaska in 1988,that turns it into the Appalachian Death March.:d

60lbs.... try 120lbs+ tied to your legs, dropping out a herky birk and hiking a good 100 miles hope you have fun, and yeah get piccies, seems a TAB (Although TAB may not be appropriate in this case)...

best of luck, and keep going as Winston Churchill said "If you're going through hell, keep going." :salute:

Thru hike.2175 miles.:d
    OK if you have the decmal point in the right place I can handle it, if you move it even one spot to the right I am out!
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Freedom , everyone enjoys it, very few defend it. - If You Won't Stand Behind Our Troops then feel free to stand in front!

Sorry dude,no weapons.The trail is safer then most places and guns are dead weight
    that's what the candian folk singer thought when she hiked the trail last fall. she was eaten by wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by gigabyte View Post
    OK if you have the decmal point in the right place I can handle it, if you move it even one spot to the right I am out!
    .2175 mile walk, darn thats a heck of a distance, thats like.... from here to the fridge 12 times... i can barely manage that at the moment...

Blog Entries
    that's what the candian folk singer thought when she hiked the trail last fall. she was eaten by wolves.
    I would think the average hiker is far safer without weapons. Incidents like the one you mentioned are far and few in-between. Far less than the incidents of "trail rage" would be if people carried guns.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

[QUOTE=jmig;386027]I would think the average hiker is far safer without weapons. Incidents like the one you mentioned are far and few in-between. Far less than the incidents of "trail rage" would be if people carried guns.[/QUOTE]

Good Point John! That never even crossed my mind!

harleyman
    The App. trail is almost my back yard..A friends dad, then 62, had walked it thru over 9 times in his life..the big puch seems to be the last northers stretch, where the pass may close due to weather effectiavely killig your end goal..

if you want my numbers, ask, be glad to meet you along the trail and take you for a supply / lunch / overnight break and a nice shower...LOL

best of luck.it will be a blast....
    Pm me if yoy are intrested...

I hiked some 30 miles of it one weekend in 1980, and loved it. Was really sore afterward since we did absolutely no preparation. But I was 20 then and could feel little pain.

At 32 I hiked parts of it during Ranger School, where the North Georgia portion of the course passes nearby. Absolutely hated it then. It was quite beautiful (late July)....but I was past caring at that point, I felt every pain. Carried lots of weaponry also as I recall......

As for carrying a sidearm, here's what the Appalachian Trail Conservancy says...

"ATC strongly discourages hikers from carrying firearms: Most experienced A.T. hikers consider them impractical and unnecessary. To legally carry a firearm on the Trail, you must meet the permitting standards of the state and locality in which you are hiking. On national-park lands, discharging a firearm is illegal, even if you have a legal permit to carry it. Extra efforts may be required to secure weapons in towns to abide by local ordinances and private-property owners' rules. (Firearm rules vary by land ownership. The Trail crosses 14 states and more than 90 state, federal, or local agency lands, with each having its own rules and regulations; you are responsible for knowing and following those rules.)."

So from a legal standpoint...it's somewhat problematic. I might consider it though. People don't believe it, but there are still things in the woods that are threats.

What I would definitely carry is a SPOT. They are light, cheap, easy to use and they allow your family to track your progress...even the days they find you've spent in the local Motel 6. They also work. We had one of our guys call for 911 when he came upon an automobile accident up in the mountains. Worked like a charm. I carry one in the airplane.

I know you're looking forward to it...I think you'll have a great time!
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

poet,traveler
    I think that was in Alaska,there ain't no wolf packs on the east coast.I could be wrong.Harleyman,I am starting in Harper's Ferry WV and heading north to Maine,then a friend is picking me up and I am going back to WV then south.

I'm doing it this way because then I start on the easiest part of the trail and I don't have to hurry north before Baxter State Park closes in October.The southbound will be better weather and I can take my time.I will be in the NC area around Oct 1.I'm also doing it this way to avoid the herd of hikers heading north.I will pm you,thanks.

I'm from NY,it's a mandatory year for possession of an unregistered firearm,I believe it's the same in MA.No thanks.I would carry a spot in Alaska,that's pretty cool.But not on the trail.

SOH-CM-2024
    Well, I have never hiked the entire Appy Trail, but I have hiked my fair share in Virginia and North Carolina and you can bet I would not be caught at all without my AR-15 in the Smokies. Forget about wolves, think about bears and more specifically, wild boars! I don't worry about people, rarely see any, but a weapon is not only good for protection, it can get you a fresh dinner when you're on a week's sojourn with no vittles shops.

That's quite an undertaking safn1949. Are you starting in N. Georgia or Maine? It is an arduous journey for sure. I have a friend who is a professor at Liberty University that not only hiked the entire AT, he ran it! Then, as if that was not enough pain, he ran the Pacific Coast Trail the next year and set the record time for doing so! Man be good crazy!

Caz

SOH-CM-2023
    When you hit the Vermont section of the trail, try to let me know. Might be able to help with hauling you for resupply.

Brian
    You can't take the sky from me...

poet,traveler
    AR-15? I would rather carry a stick then an a AR-15/M-16.Nothing personal,of course.I despise that weapon.:d

harleyman
    I got your info, and will get in touch near that point in your hike....

Hint...I may need a gentle reminder a week before hand....

My life gets nuts some times and I don't remember as well as I would like....,.

He says he's hiking the A Trail. He's really gonna see his mistress in Argentina!
    The username "safn1949" Any reference to the FN 49 rifle?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Piglet Conrad
    Piglet's Peculiar Planes
    "Ahhh... the freedom of freeware!"
    First Rule of Aviation:
    Don't piss off your mechanic.

Doesn't need to be a firearm. This is one I carry when diving into the bush:

Firestone belt axe, complete with DeSantis holster.
    440C stainless holds a good edge. Adds about 18 oz.

http://www.misdefenseproducts.com/Fi...e-p-18453.html

That & a good stick ought to do it. :-)

Best wishes for a good time & real adventure, safn1949. Be safe!

​.

Happiness Consultant
    Have a nice trek Safn!

Take lots of pictures and share when you can.

"Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted