How to get FS9 nearly perfect

Thread: How to get FS9 nearly perfect

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    Trying the Horward Smith tex package, better than stock but still not sure i like, Will try Golden wings next.
    Im with you with HDE clouds by Pablo Diaz. It is a rather special package
    Ian,

I agree with you.
    Looking at that scenery gives me the same view of the land meeting the ocean I am looking to replace.
    Here in Florida, (along with several other areas), we have beaches. The grass, bushes, shrubs, and trees in most cases do not go all the way to the water.
    Generally, we have several meters/yards of white, grey, tan sand between the water and vegetation.

Does anyone know of a good replacement texture set which actually has beaches in Florida?

Lee
    Devildog73

Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

Lee,

Beaches are a definitely a problem in FS2004. My country has a sandy coast with just dunes and beaches, but not a single grain of sand can be found in FS2004......

The pictures from payware Ultimate terrain show some sandy beaches, but I don't have or know it, so I can't tell you what Florida looks like in this scenery.

Cheers,
    Huub

Don't forget Tim's old Sub thread, old but maybe still useful:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...Free-Version-2

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    Don't forget Tim's old Sub thread, old but maybe still useful:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...Free-Version-2
    It feels a bit like we are currently re-inventing the wheel....... .
    Rhumbaflappy's mesh is still available in our library.

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog73 View Post
    Ian,

I agree with you.
    Looking at that scenery gives me the same view of the land meeting the ocean I am looking to replace.
    Here in Florida, (along with several other areas), we have beaches. The grass, bushes, shrubs, and trees in most cases do not go all the way to the water.
    Generally, we have several meters/yards of white, grey, tan sand between the water and vegetation.

Does anyone know of a good replacement texture set which actually has beaches in Florida?

Lee
    Project Free-Flow

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/conte...timate-Florida

From here (or flightsim.com)

http://www.fs-freeflow.com/index.php

Ttfn

Pete

hi
    tried the smaller trees , look nice but dropped 25fps off the game !
    cheers greycap

Icon5

G,
    Try re-saving the texs in a low res eg DXT3 or even DXT1 with alpha, and see if that helps.

Cheers

Shessi

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    G,
    Try re-saving the texs in a low res eg DXT3 or even DXT1 with alpha, and see if that helps.

Cheers

Shessi
    hi
    would love too , but I wouldn't know a dxt3 or dxti if they ran over me .im only at the stage of swapping texture files internally. even then I have to rename the original aircraft so I have several defaults in one file. while your there, how much ram does fs9 need and how much above an amt 6700 drive should I get as I need a new hard drive soon.
    thanks
    greycap

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by greycap View Post
    hi
    would love too , but I wouldn't know a dxt3 or dxti if they ran over me .im only at the stage of swapping texture files internally. even then I have to rename the original aircraft so I have several defaults in one file. while your there, how much ram does fs9 need and how much above an amt 6700 drive should I get as I need a new hard drive soon.
    thanks
    greycap
    So, I have 8GB Ram for my FS9, using the 4GB patch (lets the sim use max ram) & a 1TB drive, & 8 separate installs of FS9 as well as FlightGear & a whole bunch of stuff.

see here about the $GB patch:
    https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371

This very little tool patches x86 executables in order to let them have 4GB (instead of only 2) of virtual memory on x64 platforms. This tool comes very handy for applications which need a great amount of virtual memory like games, 3D renderization, multimedia etc. To gain these 2GB, you just have to use this tool to patch the executable (*.exe file) of the software you want to have these additional GBs of virtual memory. It can be used by clicking on it and choosing the file or through command line (e.g.: “4gb_patch file.exe”). It automatically creates a backup copy of the original executable.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

hi
    thanks
    greycap
    Here is some external advice:

https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/microsoft-flight-simulator-2004/10233

The required diskspace is for the standard installation. With all the addons available I'm sure you will need much more. I have several FS2004 installs and from the top of my head they are all around 50 Gb (Can't check as I'm behind a different PC now).

But a 1 Tb harddisk is currently quite cheap and common and will definitely provide enough diskspace.

Cheers,
    Huub

hi
    would love too , but I wouldn't know a dxt3 or dxti if they ran over me ...
    greycap
    DXT files are compressed image files that can be seen by FS but not by Windows. To see them and work on them you need a little program called DXTbmp, freeware from Martin Wright Graphics (http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/) It allows you to open all kinds of image files, work on them in your selected image handling program, and save them in a variety of formats including DXT.

We need this sort of thing because FS can't see 24-bit files. FS can see 256 color files, but 256 colors often aren't enough to produce the colors and shades you might need, and they sometimes look soft and fuzzy in the sim. So we have DXTbmp and we can use DXT or 32-bit (very high res) file formats.

DXT formats are very lossy, so you should never save a file in a DXT format until you are completely finished with it. That's because it becomes progressively more corrupted every time you open, change and save it. Work in 32-bit format, then if you need to worry about file sizes, save your finished work in DXT3, or if file size isn't an issue, just keep it in 32-bits.

If you get DXTbmp, don't forget to also grab the required associated files as indicated on Martin's site.

In addition to Mick's splendid explanation, I would like to give you the advice to try it. It is one of the easiest programs I know to use and I'm sure that for (almost) any problem that yo might encounter, you will be able to find an answer here.

One additional word of advise: When you try it on the trees, don't touch the alpha channel.

Cheers,
    Huub

Members who have read this thread: 78