I've done a few dozen searches for anyone talking of putting FSX on an external hard drive and failed to find much, though found quite a few threads talking about the boot up performance gains of applying FSX to an SSD drive.

Currently I have FSX-SE installed on my internal 2TB HDD, partitioned to have 300GB dedicated to FSX-SE. With the continuous releases by Orbx of their great looking scenery, that HDD partition is running out of space quickly. I ultimately want to have a 2TB SSD internally, but seeing some of the comments regarding SSD's limited shelf life and chance for recovery if it fails, non-existant, I am considering placing FSX-SE on an external 1TB HHD.

So, I come to my band of subject matter experts and ask if I can feasibly run FSX externally, with success or should it be on an internal HDD only? Also, what is the realistic chance of the SSD truly failing, as I like the access speed potential of the SSD while flying and perhaps just store my install files on a traditional mechanical HHD.

Thanks for always helping those in pause....

Also, wasn't sure which was the right thread to post. My apologies moderators if in the wrong forum.