Hi all.. new to the board but not to the enjoyment of Flight Sims!

Just wanted to say that I finished building a new PC so I could run MSFS 2020, the old machine couldn't handle it. Anyway, even though I love that genre and have over the years, I also like to go back to CFS 1, 2 & 3 from time to time.

We've had the joystick issue since Windows 7, but I can confirm I have a file that fixes that and will share it if there is interest and it's allowed.

I can confirm it works on Win 10 and 11 64bit machines, the graphics have to be run in 16 mode not 32. I never had issues getting 2 and 3 to run but I haven't loaded them on the new Win 11 machine yet.

The readme from the file is below, you do need to have the Disc and a NOCD patch will not work.

------------------------------------------------------------------

CFS1 patch for Windows 7 (CFS1_W7_PATCH) is a modified COMBATFS.EXE file that should correct the inability of Windows OS released after Windows XP to find the controls (joysticks, yokes, pedals, throttles, and so on) for Combat Flight Simulator WWII Europe Series (CFS1). To use this patch, you need a valid copy of CFS1 to install and play the game.

DIAGNOSIS
When you enter the game and go to settings, you get a message telling you that your controls have been changed for "$&?!&*)_&%?" (or something like that) and it demands if you want to change your settings to take that change into account. This problem only appeared on OS following XP, with the possibility of some late 64 bits XP systems being also concerned. Although marked as "for Windows 7", it should work as well on Windows Vista and 8 and the few late XP already mentioned.

INSTALLATION
-Find the folder of CFS1 (usually C:>Program Files>Microsoft Games>Combat Flight Simulator);
-In it, you should find COMBATFS.EXE file. Make a back-up copy somewhere convenient and remove that file;
-If you have already played the game, you should find also COMBATFS.CFG file. Make a back-up copy somewhere convenient and remove that file;
-Install COMBATFS.EXE.FIX where COMBATFS.EXE was and rename it COMBATFS.EXE (remove the ".FIX");
-Insert CFS1 disc and play! COMBATFS.CFG will be automatically re-written.
-------------
ATTENTION!!!
Any changes made to COMBATFS.EXE or COMBATFS.CFG prior to this patch will be lost.
-------------

Backups copies of COMBATFS.EXE and COMBATFS.CFG can be eliminated once you have verified that the game is OK. Otherwise, they can be re-install in their proper place if needed. You can also copy/paste any tweaks made to the old COMBATFS.CFG into the new before disposing of it.

GAME CONTENT USAGE RULES
Combat Flight Simulator WWII Europe Series © Microsoft Corporation. CFS1 patch for Windows 7 (CFS1_W7_PATCH) was created under Microsoft's "Game Content Usage Rules" using assets from Combat Flight Simulator WWII Europe Series. It is not endorsed by Microsoft and does not reflect the views or opinions of Microsoft or anyone officially involved in producing or managing Combat Flight Simulator WWII Europe Series. As such, it does not contribute to the official narrative of the fictional universe, if applicable.

Rules can be found at http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/developer/rules

DISCLAIMER
This patch is released "as is" without any guarantees. Use at your own risk. I decline any responsibilities for damages caused directly or indirectly by its use.

RELEASE
This patch is released free of any charge. It can be redistributed without permission by anyone under the same terms as long as this README file is attached to the distribution.

Guy Gauvreau a.k.a. Hubbabubba,
from a post by aproblem_asolution at; http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showth...tability/page2

All my thanks goes to aproblem_asolution for this find and to smilo for testing the patch on his machines (including his wife Windows 8!).

3/nov./2013 20:51