FSX and 8.1

Thread: FSX and 8.1

FSX and 8.1

having been away for a while was going to install FSX Gold on my new 8.1 system but saw a lot of posts that it might not run on 8.1

found this fix:

I had the same issue but find how to to fix ( free flight crash while missions works)

make sure you run the FSX in windows Vista service pack 2.
    then you start FSX, go to settings, then personnalize. in the graphic card tab, tick the box related to previez Directx 10.

then try free flight. it worked for me.
    good luck.
    will this work? i have close to 200 add ons i usually use and am planning on continuing to create new content and need to be sure the SDK will work, i still have my install on my XP platform but would like to use the newer system for complex and intensive locations like major cities. thanks for info on this and hello to all.
    Beached Admiral Naval Wargame Society 1978
    Admin
    3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin
    Tester of Ships: Sea Trials and Consults

I run Win 8.1 with FSX-Acceleration, FSX-Steam Edition, and P3D v1, 2, and 3 all working. I have to do a lot of testing that's why so many.

Except for the FSX-Steam Edition (it is under Steam afterall) all are installed outside of "Program Files (x86)".

Hope this helps.

FSX will run in Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10. You will save yourself a whole lot of headaches if you just install it to a directory other than the default Program Files directory. As previously mentioned, this is not even an issue with FSX Steam Edition as it installs to the Steam directory.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

OK thanks that helps a lot to know.

so what is the reason installing in the default location is bad? does it cause problems for FSX?

i don't see that it will be a problem ..as far as i can recall other things will work on if it is on the C: drive instead of in the program files. I dont like steam so i will use the disk version to install.

thanks again for the confirmations.
    Beached Admiral Naval Wargame Society 1978
    Admin
    3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin
    Tester of Ships: Sea Trials and Consults

Quote Originally Posted by CrisGer View Post
    so what is the reason installing in the default location is bad? does it cause problems for FSX?
    It's all to do with file permissions. Best avoided.

One other point. If you go ahead and install the SDK after installing FSX to a non-default directory (recommended), you'll need to find two files (dll.xml and exe.xml) and edit them so that the pathnames are correct for the various tools.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by CrisGer View Post
    OK thanks that helps a lot to know.

i don't see that it will be a problem ..as far as i can recall other things will work on if it is on the C: drive instead of in the program files. I dont like steam so i will use the disk version to install.

thanks again for the confirmations.
    File writing permission is the issue. If you install to a folder outside of the default Windows folders you will not have to worry about Windows prohibiting FSX from writing to its own files, installing add-ons, or modifying FSX files.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Members who have read this thread: 0