Wanted! Royal Navy repaint for Just Flight Tiger Moth. - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wanted! Royal Navy repaint for Just Flight Tiger Moth.

You're welcome Willy!
    ChipShop

I found this great shot of a Roborough Tiger Moth.......in colour too!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ro...LcCZ1CgOdpM%3A

one for DaveB as well.............

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ro...vmRfxFoLHsM%3A

Hope these help!

ChipShop

Quote Originally Posted by Airtrooper View Post
    Progress has been rapid and successful here! If I were on the right PC I'd post some shots.

The FAA Tiger Moths have always fascinated me, in the same way as their Hunters. Over the years I've collected photos of them, but more are always very welcome please! Their paint, dayglo patches, fonts etc are subtly different on almost every machine, and over time too... but I love a challenge. I'm happy to do a yellow FAA one, plus silver and yellow FAA (there was at least one example which retained this scheme onto the mid/late '60s).

I'm thinking in the short term I may upload one scheme for people to get going with, then release a whole bunch as a package.

Andy
    Knowing your work on my Hunters, I'm sure these are going to be great!
    Looking forward to them Andy.

Hi Andy,

As DaveWG says I'm really looking forward to the results too!

NL878 as depicted in the model kit I did; was credited as being the last Biplane to fly from an aircraft carrier.
    This took place on board HMS Eagle while she was undergoing sea trials in the Western Channel, following an extensive refit at Devonport Dockyard in 1964.
    On the 20th June that year, it was suggested that in order to give the deck crews some practice in aircraft handling using the new equipment, prior to her receiving her squadrons; to ask if 'Britannia Flight's' Tiger Moths being close at hand (Plymouth), might like to provide some aircraft and gain a little mutual training!

And so it was, NL878 being the last off the deck!

ChipShop
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NL878 HMS EAGLE.jpg   RN Tiger Moth HMS EAGLE.jpg  

I had to have a bit of a chuckle here ... no hook required , catapult travels faster the than the Tiggie and you could probably (sideways) takeoff from the starboard side to the port side with room to spear

Ive been looking around online, trying to work out how Roborough looked when these tiggies were flying from there, there's a few modern Plymouth scenery's out there, but it might be a nice idea to retro the stock EGHD when these tiggies arrive.

cheers ian

Ooh!, now there's an idea Ian!
    If memory serves, it was to all intents and purposes a collection of wooden huts left over from the Second World War, accompanied by 2 (I think) Bellman hangars. When there was a flight of Gloster gladiators in residence. Oh!, and grass of course not Tarmac, that came later!
    I'll see what I can find as well, nice idea Ian👍😉
    ChipShop

OK, here is a WIP screenshot. I'm focusing on XL714 as the base paint, with others to follow. There is still quite a bit to do. The tail (elevators) are missing their dayglo and the colours are looking very "flat" because I'm still working on the spec and alphas. With these in place it should come alive, especially in terms of that tricky dayglo, which is always tough to get right.

I'm about to drive across country to care for a family member undergoing surgery this week, so although I may have a chance to check forums my work these repaints will go on hold for the remainder of the week. I was hoping to get one published before I left, but I've simply run out of time. I may then end up publishing them all as a package.

cheers

Andy

XL714 shot1 by Andy Ford, on Flickr

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Nice work Andy. Looking forward to this one and hopefully, others
    Atb
    DaveB

Looking Very Good so far Andy!
    Hope things go well for your relative!
    As DaveB says, looking forward to the finished article/s!
    Cheers for now,
    ChipShop
    Last edited by ChipShop; January 25th, 2016 at 10:50.

Thanks guys. Just checking forums in between whiles here. All going well and looking forward to getting back to the repaints when the week is done.

Cheers

Andy

I'm back in action and the base paint is almost done. I think you'll agree the flatness of the paint without spec and alphas has completely gone (besides the elevators, which need finishing). Believe it or not the RGB of the grey and dayglo etc haven't changed at all... it all comes down to the extras and the lighting (e.g. the dayglo doesn't glow as much in cloudy conditions, whereas what you're seeing here is noon on a cloudless summers day)!

XL714 shot2 by Andy Ford, on Flickr

Likin' this Andy

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Likin' this Andy

ATB
    DaveB
    Me too!
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Liking what I see as well Andy; makes me glad I put the request forward now!
    It suits the Tiger Moth very well indeed, nice crisp looking markings too, well done!
    As a matter of interest; the 'tail code' letter, for this Tiggie was grey as you've correctly done. Where as other ones were in Dayglo orange; maybe 714s came off leaving the adhesive behind? Nice attention to detail Mate!
    Look forward to the finished article!
    ChipShop👍😉

Quote Originally Posted by ChipShop View Post
    the 'tail code' letter, for this Tiggie was grey as you've correctly done. Where as other ones were in Dayglo orange; maybe 714s came off leaving the adhesive behind?
    That is also my interpretation/educated guess. I'm going to have the starboard side dayglo and the port side a weathered grey.

Andy

Look forward to the finished article!
    I am as well.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Quote Originally Posted by Airtrooper View Post
    That is also my interpretation/educated guess. I'm going to have the starboard side dayglo and the port side a weathered grey.

Andy
    Hi Andy,

I think that you'd better do it grey BOTH sides for this aircraft Mate; I've just found a starboard side colour photo of XL714 showing just that, grey on starboard as well!
    I'll email you the photo!
    ChipShop

Hi Andy,
    I'm sure it's a case of no news is good news, BUT; how's she coming along?
    Appetites are well and truly whetted, I can assure you!
    Looking forward to the next stage,
    Ttfn,
    ChipShop

I did those pesky elevators yesterday. Now I just need to do the bit you haven't seen yet... the bottom of the fuselage...

Andy

Ooh! All excited here, can hardly wait!
    ChipShop

Hi Andy,
    How are things coming along in the Tiger Moth hangar? No news is good news I hope?
    Don't forget to let me know about the Gliding Club photos you want taken Mate!
    Look forward to an update on things,
    All the Best,
    ChipShop

Hiya Andy,

Not heard from you in quite a while!

We're all wondering how the Tiger Moths are progressing? It'd be great to hear from you and of course to see/enjoy, the finished results of your hard work!

Hope all's Ok buddy,

Cheers for now,

ChipShop
    'If It Isn't Broken; Then Don't Try To Fix It!'

Quote Originally Posted by ChipShop View Post
    Hi Guys, I wonder if anyone can help with this at all?

I would very much like to have a Royal Navy version of the Just Flight Tiger Moth; to represent an aircraft from the Royal Naval College Dartmouth, 'Britannia', Air Experience Flight, based at Roborough, Plymouth, UK.

The particular example that I am looking for is when they were in over all Silver, with Orange Dayglo stripes.

Pics of a model kit of this aircraft that I made, (other shots available):-

This was NL878 the last Biplane to fly from an aircraft carrier.

ChipShop
    Now that's a really cool paint, I'd like to have that one myself!
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK1 LGA 1150 Intel Z97
    Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced - High Air Flow Full
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X
    DirectCU II R9280-DC2T-3GD5 Radeon R9 280 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified 1000W

I'm still around, just busy as hell, way more than anticipated. Thanks for your continued interest and support. I don't have a whole lot more to do to finish it, I just need the time. I hesitantly say later next week might provide an opportunity... watch this space...

Andy

Members who have read this thread: 0