Every Picture Tells A Story.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Every Picture Tells A Story.

Every Picture Tells A Story.

This idea for a new thread may have been tried before, but anyway, here goes;

If you have a photograph of a specific aircraft or type of aircraft, or maybe you know of a location where an aircraft related incident happened and have a true story to tell about it; see if you can:-

1/ Fly over the location in FSX.
    2/ Use the same aircraft or at least the same type of aircraft.
    3/ Capture a screenshot and post it.
    4/ Write a brief caption underneath describing what happened and where it is.

Like the idea

ChipShop

Hunter Crash

Here's one from me to start you off:-

An RAF Hawker Hunter crashed on Tuesday 27th March 1973; when on a low flying exercise over the Westcountry UK. It collided with one of the support wires for the Caradon Hill, Television Transmitter Mast ,near Pensilva in Cornwall. The Pilot ejected with minor injuries.
    (I wonder if anyone has details of the actual aircraft or any photographs?)
    [Pics show location and Aircraft type from FSX]
    Now over to YOU!

ChipShop
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016-1-20_20-54-23-36.jpg   2016-1-20_21-4-24-946.jpg  

A great idea, hope you get some taker's, i'll have a look through my hanger and see if i can get some inspiration

cheers ian

Thank you for the encouragement Ian!
    Hopefully more of our Sim Pilots will search for and post some really interesting pics and stories!
    👍😃
    ChipShop

Well here's mine, 28th March 1967, one of two 8OOsq HMS Eagle, take's off from Brawdy armed with 4 1000ld bombs, on a mission to break up and set light to the crude oil from the stricken oil tanker, SS Torrey Canyon, that ran aground between Lands end and the Scilly islands on the 18th, a mission that was'nt particularly successful. Further raid were carried out by RAF Hunters armed with cans of aviation fuel in a hope to get the oil to burn, follow'd by more raids by Sea Vixen's and Buccaneers, and finally more Hunters armed with liquefied petroleum jelly, but not Napalm, as we were not supposed to have it in our armory back then.
    Sadly, these efforts couldn't halt the spread of oil around the west coast and as far as Brittany, and to this day is still one of the worst pollution accidents witnessed in the UK

Only last weekend, i purchased the Flying stations Buccaneer S2, and have been putting it through its pace's, fabulous payware, pretty close to the actual aircraft used in the mission, mine is coded 107, 104 was the actual Bucc used

Here's some footage, no sound im afraid, im sure ive seen better footage than this, but this is all i could find---give you an idea anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2in6E3OKYDY

cheers ian

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    Well here's mine, 28th March 1967, one of two 8OOsq HMS Eagle, take's off from Brawdy armed with 4 1000ld bombs, on a mission to break up and set light to the crude oil from the stricken oil tanker, SS Torrey Canyon, that ran aground between Lands end and the Scilly islands on the 18th, a mission that was'nt particularly successful. Further raid were carried out by RAF Hunters armed with cans of aviation fuel in a hope to get the oil to burn, follow'd by more raids by Sea Vixen's and Buccaneers, and finally more Hunters armed with liquefied petroleum jelly, but not Napalm, as we were not supposed to have it in our armory back then.
    Sadly, these efforts couldn't halt the spread of oil around the west coast and as far as Brittany, and to this day is still one of the worst pollution accidents witnessed in the UK

Only last weekend, i purchased the Flying stations Buccaneer S2, and have been putting it through its pace's, fabulous payware, pretty close to the actual aircraft used in the mission, mine is coded 107, 104 was the actual Bucc used

Nice one Ian, well and truly in the spirit of this thread! I can remember the incident very well, and a typical 1960s response to such a problem! No ozone layer was considered back then!

That S2 is a thumping great beast isn't it mate?

ChipShop

A Sight No More!

On the 31st of December 2015 the 771 Squadron, Royal Navy based at Culdrose in Cornwall; handed over it's commitment to providing Search and Rescue cover, bringing to an end Military SAR cover in the Westcountry!
    Thank You! 771, you will be sadly missed!
    ChipShop
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016-1-23_20-43-57-943.jpg  

Quite a few years ago a great little freeware version of the Vin Fiz Flyer showed up in one of the libraries.
    It just seemed natural to try to recreate the historic flight of the first aircraft to ever cross the US coast to coast.

I tried to stay as close as possible to what the Vin Fiz had to go through.

Since the original Brooklyn take-off site no longer existed, I went with JFK for a departure. All flights were made using real world weather.
    This proved comical at times, as on some days I actually flew backwards making not much progress towards California.

All flights were also made using no navigational aids other than the sun, dead reckoning, and compass. I would follow the sun towards sunset each day.
    The only time I was allowed to check for actual location was when I landed, where ever that happened to be.
    I figured at the very least I would have been able to walk over to the nearest farmer or town folk and ask where the heck I was. :-)

I did finally end up in Long Beach California, which was the intended final destination of the Vin Fiz Flyer, although it didn't quite get there.

Forest

Fantastic stuff Forest! Certainly a test of endurance, you deserve a medal for sitting on that flying machine for so long!

Did the instruction manual read: requires a very firm grip, and reinforced pants! By any chance?

A very interesting story indeed, how often did you have to refuel?

ChipShop

90 hrs across the US in a Wright flyer, actually, thats pretty good going

cheers ian

Hi Chipshop, whats the scenery in the background of your Sea King shots.

cheers ian

Quote Originally Posted by ChipShop View Post
    Fantastic stuff Forest! Certainly a test of endurance, you deserve a medal for sitting on that flying machine for so long!

Did the instruction manual read: requires a very firm grip, and reinforced pants! By any chance?

A very interesting story indeed, how often did you have to refuel?

ChipShop

It's been a long time, but I think I was getting around 3-4 hours, more or less out of a single fuel load.

The roughest flights were where the weather wasn't fun. I seem to remember flying in the Ohio, Penn, Indiana area for hours. When I landed and confirmed my location on the ground, I was actually farther away from California than when I started out that day. :-)

FAC

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    Hi Chipshop, whats the scenery in the background of your Sea King shots.

cheers ian
    Hi Ian,

Good Old UK2000 VFR Airfields, on quite a high setting; helped by some of Kosta's tweaks!

ChipShop

Quote Originally Posted by FAC257 View Post
    It's been a long time, but I think I was getting around 3-4 hours, more or less out of a single fuel load.

The roughest flights were where the weather wasn't fun. I seem to remember flying in the Ohio, Penn, Indiana area for hours. When I landed and confirmed my location on the ground, I was actually farther away from California than when I started out that day. :-)

FAC
    Well hats off to you Forest; a feat of endurance for sure!
    ChipShop

Cool thread idea. Here's mine, featuring Aerosoft's DHC-6.

On May 12, 1981 this plane, DHC-6 N386EX, took off from Waterville, Maine (KWVL) on a short flight to Boston, it suffered an elevator mechanical linkage failure, resulting in a successful landing in a field outside the town of Unity Maine. It made the papers, as you can see from this scanned in image of the story that my sister sent me when it happened. This is interesting now because on that Air Disasters show on the Smithsonian Channel, one event covered was the fatal crash of a Twin Otter due to a broken elevator control cable, due to a combination of design flaw and improper maintenance. I think these folks in Maine were very lucky that day...

But... As Paul Harvey used to say, "The Rest of the Story..." In 1982 this plane was sold to Grand Canyon Airlines, and outfit that flew tourists over the Big Ditch, and re-registered as N76GC. On June 18 1986, while flying one of these tours, her luck ran out, as she collided with a helicopter and was lost with all hands.

MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

December 6, 1931 Detroit Michigan

In an attempt on the Official World Speed Record Pilot Lowell Bayles in the Gee Bee Z crashed at 300ish mph at what is now Detroit Metropolitan Airport. As near as I can figure, he crashed alongside the railroad tracks in the screenshot below. Bayles had a few months before won the 1931 Thompson Trophy in the yellow Gee Bee. Since then, it had had the Wasp Jr engine replaced with a full size Wasp for the Speed Record attempt. There's much debate on the cause of the crash, but the consensus today is aerilon flutter overstressing the right wing which had been weakened in a landing incident a few days previously although at the time it was believed the gas cap had come off and went into the canopy, incapacitating Bayles. This crash resulted in the Granville brothers on their follow on R-1, R-2 & R-6 having the gas cap moved to inside the fuselage and sheathing the wings with aviation grade plywood for extra strength.

Alabeo Gee Bee Z at Detroit Metro Airport. (I was only going about 240 kts in the screenshot)

As it was a previously announced World Speed Record attempt, the newsreel folks were there filming.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Site of the Crash.jpg  
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    At about this time there was an airfield outside Detroit at what is now the location of the Middlebelt Road overpass over the Jeffries Freeway (I-696). For many years it was the site of the Detroit Race Course (horses) and, as far as I know, is now the location of a Meijer's Thrifty Acres megastore. This crash may have happened at that now non-existent airfield. Using Detroit Metro (old "Wayne Major") Airport is a pretty good substitute, though, since it's not more than a few miles away. My father was maybe 11 years old when in 1927 or 1928 Lindbergh made an aerial tour of the US with the Spirit of St Louis, for various reasons. He was accompanied by aircraft from the Army Air Service during this tour. While the tour was in Detroit, an Army pilot fatally crashed at that same airfield as the GeeBee. My father was there to see it. I vividly remember him telling me about seeing Lindbergh later descend to a very low altitude over the train bearing the flyer's coffin, and seeing Lindbergh toss a wreath out the Spirit's window onto the top of the train.

Geoffrey Wellum, The Youngest Spitfire Pilot.

Three shots, showing the types of aircraft flown by Geoffrey Wellum, in his quest to become the youngest fighter pilot during the Battle of Britain.

'Ab Initio' training; Tiger Moth at Little Rissington.

Basic Training; T-6 Harvard at Kiddlington.

Fighter Pilot; Mk1a Spitfire; 92 Sqn., at Biggin Hill.

I would urge anyone to read his book 'First Light', a truly gripping and informative publication!

ChipShop
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015-12-28_20-37-21-622.jpg   2016-2-8_20-31-58-757.jpg   2016-2-8_20-26-53-745.jpg  

Yacht SINE SEORRA

This fantastic repaint by DaveB, of the Virtavia HU Mk5 Sea King ZA166 cab.16; prompted me to revive this thread.....

She was involved in the dramatic rescue from the stricken yacht Sine Seorra on 30th August 1992.

The following is from the London Gazette............
    Whitehall, London SW1A 2KB
    23rd March 1993
    The QUEEN has been graciously pleased to approve the following
    award:
    Air Force Medal
    Leading Aircrewman Ian CHAMBERS, D191429X.
    Leading Aircrewman CHAMBERS was the Diver of the 771
    Squadron Duty SAR crew which was scrambled shortly after 1 a.m.
    on 30th August 1992 to respond to a Mayday transmitted by the
    SINE SEORRA, a 52 foot yacht in difficulties in a Force 9 gale, 20
    miles off the coast of Guernsey.
    On arrival at the scene the priority for the helicopter crew was to
    evacuate the two lifeboatmen who were injured when the mizzen
    mast collapsed on top of the yacht's wheelhouse. Despite the severity
    of lifeboat motion and obvious personal risk, Leading Aircrewman
    CHAMBERS volunteered to be lowered to the corkscrewing deck. He
    quickly assessed the situation, asked for the stretcher to be lowered
    and then attended to the securing of the casualty. Due to difficulties
    in moving the second casualty from below deck it was over an hour
    later that Leading Aircrewman CHAMBERS was recovered to the
    helicopter — having personally supervised the transfers in extremely
    violent and dangerous conditions.
    On return to the yacht having delivered the casualties to hospital
    in Guernsey and despite obvious fatigue, Leading Aircrewman
    CHAMBERS produced stoic reserves of physical and mental energy to
    be lowered three times into the tumultous seas and be trawled
    through the water to rescue the remaining crew members.
    Throughout this exhausting five hour night rescue, Leading
    Aircrewman CHAMBERS placed his own life at risk, displaying
    exceptional courage, great stamina and the highest standards of
    professionalism to rescue casualties in atrocious conditions. This
    outstanding performance was in the highest traditions of the Service.
    Whitehall, London SW1A 2MB
    23rd March 1993
    The QUEEN has been graciously pleased to approve the award of the
    Queen's Commendation for Valuable Service in the Air to the
    undermentioned:
    Queen's Commendation for Valuable Service in the Air
    Lieutenant Commander Paul CRUDGINGTON, A.F.C., Royal
    Navy.
    Lieutenant Philip Edward SMITH, Royal Navy.
    For their valuable service in the air on 30th August 1992 in the
    Search and Rescue operation of the crew members from the yacht
    SINE SEORRA.

ChipShop
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016-11-21_13-46-26-899.jpg   2016-11-21_14-9-50-547.jpg   2016-11-21_14-20-48-427.jpg   2016-11-21_14-7-19-244.jpg  
    'If It Isn't Broken; Then Don't Try To Fix It!'

Nice to see the detail of that rescue and fitting recognition to the crew involved

That first shot is rather nice
    ATB
    DaveB

Last day

Early morning September 1992 last day for 42 Squadron Nimrods at RAF St. Mawgan

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016-11-21_18-42-57-602.jpg   2016-11-21_18-43-16-820.jpg  

SOH-CM-2021

Hunter crash.

The aircraft was Hunter FGA9 XG256 of 229ocu (79 Sqdn) The pilot was FO R.Pearson who ejected safely. He took off from RAF Chivenor.

I have the book "British Military Aircraft Accidents. The last 25 years" That's 1966-1990. A very informative book by David Oliver.

Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Nice to see the detail of that rescue and fitting recognition to the crew involved

That first shot is rather nice
    ATB
    DaveB
    Quote Originally Posted by 511Flyer View Post
    The aircraft was Hunter FGA9 XG256 of 229ocu (79 Sqdn) The pilot was FO R.Pearson who ejected safely. He took off from RAF Chivenor.

I have the book "British Military Aircraft Accidents. The last 25 years" That's 1966-1990. A very informative book by David Oliver.

Dennis.

Thanks Dave, for the thumbs up and the repaint!

Hi Dennis, Nice to have some more detail on this one, thanks! It's of interest to me, because my Father when he was alive, was a Press Photographer for the National Newspaper here in the South West of England, and had to go out to Pensilva to photograph the crash! And what a wreck it was too!

I'm rather glad that I revived this post now; thanks guys!

Let's have some more stories please!

ChipShop

Quote Originally Posted by ijay View Post
    Early morning September 1992 last day for 42 Squadron Nimrods at RAF St. Mawgan

Sad to say, that as with a lot of good things we've had; it all gets thrown away in the interest of cost saving! Lol!

Nice shots ijay. I've got this one too; a nice aircraft to fly!
    ChipShop

Members who have read this thread: 1