Icon A5 Freeware!! wow

Thread: Icon A5 Freeware!! wow

Icon A5 Freeware!! wow

Maybe this is old news but I completely missed this aircraft!

It's fantastic! There are a few minor issues like super large landing lights and 3d prop spindles but seriously... a great freeware addon!

(exclamation points!!!!)

Get it here:
    http://www.classicwings.net/
    (apparently only for P3D 2 and 3)

This guy looks like the man from half life 2 episodes 2/3 lol

Seems I sort of jumped the gun with the eye candy here. The modelling is superb but there's some bugs I found:

I basically emailed this list to the web site.

1) The landing light effects are super bright and the effects themselves seem to extend far past the nose
    2) There are some weird texture issues with the 3d prop. I've seen this before on payware addons. Minor but looks a little odd.
    3) I couldn't find a guide/manual but I'm wondering how to steer in the water? Water rudder command doesn't seem to help. And there doesn't appear to be much rudder authority on takeoff
    4) The avionics button has no effect except to remove the tiny white acft icon from the GPS. It should turn off the GPS and radio/xpndr
    5) The battery master should turn off everything regardless of the starter switch position. Currently with starter switch to "both," and battery master OFF, I still see the radio/xpndr lit up plus the backlighting.
    6) The AoA gauge doesn't appear to function. In a stall the gauge would likely show red but it remains green, although pitched up a little.

I didn't email these though
    1) Seawing button has no effect
    2) Contact points.... plane is too high in the water
    3) default eyepoint is too far left....
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

This looks good indeed !
    And more importantly, it looks quite different from the other freeware Icon A5 I used to know, which had a less beautiful cockpit if I remember correctly.

In fact, this one looks like the one that was included in MS Flight, doesn't it ?

see thread above: Looking for a Native FsX aircraft? Start here!

ryanbatc, he started working this up over a year ago and I believe that the things you found were things he was unable to correct. The reasons for that are his to relate, but as it is the aircraft from MSFlight there were some limitations in what he was able to accomplish. At least that was my take on things. Also, it does work equally well in FSX. As for the guy in the cockpit, to me. . .totally out of place. A modern cutting edge aircraft with an elderly James Bond, lol. I did some extensive cosmetic work on his face, beard, clothing etc to "de-age" him as much as possible. The textures are easy enough to work with so you can always change cloths and even the face.

Have been following the development of the real thing, I just love it ! Modern, sexy and versatile. Will see how she flies in my current FSX setup. Thanks for the H/U ! Mike

I agree... it is modern and neat. And the wings fold so basically you can put it on a boat trailer!

I read an article in Flying, the only downside was the useful load - very small I think it was like 470 lbs or something. So after fuel two gentlemen with like half tanks would be MTOW hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    ryanbatc, he started working this up over a year ago and I believe that the things you found were things he was unable to correct. The reasons for that are his to relate, but as it is the aircraft from MSFlight there were some limitations in what he was able to accomplish. At least that was my take on things. Also, it does work equally well in FSX. As for the guy in the cockpit, to me. . .totally out of place. A modern cutting edge aircraft with an elderly James Bond, lol. I did some extensive cosmetic work on his face, beard, clothing etc to "de-age" him as much as possible. The textures are easy enough to work with so you can always change cloths and even the face.
    Could you send me that texture mod please?
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

I find it a bit lacking in the clickable-stuff-in-the-cockpit department, but it looks too good to pass.

Tried this is FSX. Keep getting "visual model could not be displayed." Is this because it is for PD3 only?
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

You need to use interior_old.mdl in model.cfg

This plane also has no icing provisions, I found out the hard way .

Members who have read this thread: 0