Virtavia A4 Skyhawk - APC

Thread: Virtavia A4 Skyhawk - APC

Virtavia A4 Skyhawk - APC

I'm revisiting some of my older fast jets. One of my favorites was the Virtavia A4 Skyhawk, but I never managed to get the Automatic Power Compensator APC (speed control) to work. And after reading the manual again, I'm not sure how and when I would use it. I flew it yesterday and used the APC on approach, having adjusted the bug on the ASI to my approach speed, but the airspeed just dropped so low that the aircraft stalled.
    I'd be pleased to hear from anyone with some knowledge of this.
    Many thanks
    Dave
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    P3D v3.4
    P3D v4.5
    FSX-SE
    X-Plane 11

Great question, and (for me at least) another reason why I need to read the manuals. I didn't even know there was such a thing as APC! NC

That is one I need to reinstall , tho We don't have a 'K' or even a early 'K' variant one thing I do have is plenty off photo's to create a photo-real paint off the 1970's humpy version .

When you set a speed on the Airspeed Indicator (upper left main area) using the small knob by the gauge and then flip the APC switch forward (in throttle area on left side console) to the "ON" position it should hold the speed you dialed in. It is supposed to reduce pilot work load at various times.

From the manual:
    3) Airspeed Indicator. Shows IAS in knots, with a separate Mach number indicator segment on the left side. The knob at the bottom left is used to set the Autopilot Speed Hold value and is essential for speed hold to work.
    A) Automatic Power Compensator (Speed Hold). Toggles Speed Hold (SPD) on/off. NOTE – the Speed Hold must first be set to the desired value using the knob on the Airspeed Indicator, otherwise the throttle will move to idle and speed will drop off, resulting in a stall.
    A real military speed hold function would grab the current speed and hold it. But this is a civilian sim so we do it their way.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Frank - I thought that was what I was doing, but it didn't work. I'll try again!
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    P3D v3.4
    P3D v4.5
    FSX-SE
    X-Plane 11

Members who have read this thread: 0