Inspired by A2A Piper Cherokee - Page 21
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1113141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Inspired by A2A Piper Cherokee

Another work of art turning up
    MB Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master CPU i7 12700K @4.6 GHz GPU Gigabyte RTX 3080ti Cooler Noctua NH-U15 with 2 fans RAM 32MB Corsair DDR5 Vengeance 5200MHz Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Watt Case Thermaltake level 20 xt Windows 11 64 bit Thrustmaster HOTAS warthog stick and throttle Thrustmaster TPR pendular rudder pedals

thanks, John - It took a while but it feels good to be back on this project again. Hopefully I'll be able to keep it rolling along.
    I'm about to begin on the main LG legs and retraction method for this kit. Then I can button up the main gear wells, finish the upper surface infilling, and get the wing properly
    prepped for paint.
    Once that's done I can return to the fuselage and get the tail surfaces installed, then finish the cockpit area. I need to fabricate a gunsight and finish the canopy centerline rail - paint the pilot and so on.
    She should come together in relatively short order given that the fuselage was so far along already.

I really want to see a good outcome on this project - the P47 is one of my personal favorite aircraft for so many reasons.
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Icon14

Knowing the way you build it can only end up being a work of art
    MB Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master CPU i7 12700K @4.6 GHz GPU Gigabyte RTX 3080ti Cooler Noctua NH-U15 with 2 fans RAM 32MB Corsair DDR5 Vengeance 5200MHz Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Watt Case Thermaltake level 20 xt Windows 11 64 bit Thrustmaster HOTAS warthog stick and throttle Thrustmaster TPR pendular rudder pedals

I appreciate the encouragement John -
    I have posted some recent build vids to the channel as of last night
    enter..the Sandman

smoothing out the P-47's elliptical wing
    enter..the Sandman

alright - so there isn't much to show that looks new - but the wing has been treated to more surface preparation - sanding, filling and sealing.

Also - I am working on the wheel wells - far from completed but going in the right direction..hopefully
    enter..the Sandman

Looking good mate

thanks, John - Appreciate you.

it's been slow going with all the real world intrusions - don't these people know that my 'work' is important? lol
    anyway - I'm still cleaning up and detailing the wheel wells and landing gear legs.
    We're still a ways from 'standing her up' as I like to call that point where the model stands on it's own LG for the first time, but progress is progress whether it's slow or fast
    enter..the Sandman

the work continues - currently adding a couple of build videos to the channel - should be up over the next couple of hours.

more LG work
    enter..the Sandman

work continues - now the main gear doors as well as determining the cutout for the gear well fairings

Added the inner doors or 'stiffeners' to the main gear doors - they'll need to be refined and shaped to fit inside of the wheel well fairings oncce those are fabricated and installed.
    work work work
    enter..the Sandman

Very nice indeed great workmanship

still hoping to do justice to the Jug - thanks for checking in John - always appreciated.

I should have something to post here and to the channel soon
    enter..the Sandman

early on in the process of refining the P-47 wing - miles to go on it yet.
    ..now, keep this in mind fellers - she won't be perfectly to scale, but I will do whatever I can to the best of my humble ability.
    Thanks for viewing the thread - and the channel - if you've wandered over there at all
    enter..the Sandman

I'm still here and still working on the LG for the P-47D

as you can see I'm having to make adjustments to the overall scale appearance of these LG components to get to a decent representation of retractable P-47 LG - not to mention the engineering of getting it to retract and fit into the wells.
    Why do I do these things? It's a question I can't answer. But I can tell you there will be a couple of videos posted in a day or two that talk about the struggle LOL
    enter..the Sandman

All just a mock up but this way I can see the dihedral, stance, the proportion of the gear legs, wheels, and doors as complete assemblies when compared to the airframe..to see if we're on the right road.

we've still got miles and miles to go yet, but it is beginning at last to look like an airplane maybe - lil bit
    enter..the Sandman

flaps down too

looks a bit odd without the lower fuselage belly pan installed yet..
    enter..the Sandman

a friend of mine and the person who's model craftsmanship inspired me to try the balsa infill method has most of his builds posted
    here at Virtual Aerodrome -----> Virtual Aerodrome - Model Aircraft Gallery - Keil Kraft Fairey Gannet

This is his rendition of the Fairey Gannet

Here is his T-28 Trojan Virtual Aerodrome - Model Aircraft Gallery - Berkeley North American T-28 Trojan

you can page through these builds and many others, by David Duckett, or any of the other model builders, when you browse this site
    enter..the Sandman

this is going to help immensely with this project as it moves to the next phase
    enter..the Sandman

I know it doesn't look like much has been accomplished in the last week or so, but what I have managed to do is get the brake lines installed and the
    hydraulic pump cannisters started.
    I'm still shaping and sizing the hardpoints so they're just laid on to see if we're getting somewhere on those. Then they'll be detailed with the ordy attachment clamps and so on.
    All that is left to make for the wing assembly to be complete is the remaining MG barrels.
    In the center of the wing you can see the part that will be modified to replicate the engine cowl flaps ring around the forward fuselage. The attachment of this part will be a whole
    process unto itself, but at least it will mark the beginning of the final steps I need to take to get the fuselage done.
    Still many miles to go yet before the wing can be attached to the fuselage.
    enter..the Sandman

on a different note -
    I spent some time working on a project for the grandkids.

I'll repost these after I resize them...
    enter..the Sandman

here are some more pics of the project

for some reason Imgur is not saving the resizing edits - been trying for an hour. If these are too large I'll just remove them - let me know
    enter..the Sandman

back on topic - the P-47D pilot is painted and detailed
    enter..the Sandman

https://i.imgur.com/fq1YSiy.jpeg

gear retracted and tail fin and stabilizer added

the wing is not attached - I just wanted to check alignments and see if the
    wing needs shimming
    enter..the Sandman

here is the image for those who don't use links -