help to buy computer

Thread: help to buy computer

help to buy computer

Hi friends
    I have got some money extra and finally I will change my old computer. I Have some questions to anyone who could lend me a hand.
    1.- Which is the best (affordable) CPU/GPU to fly FSX?
    2.- I´m using windows xp. Have you got any problem with FSX and windows 10?

Thanks in advance

Alberto-jagl04

Alberto, I'm sure there are many more knowledgeable persons here at the SOH which can advise you on which computer to buy.

But there is a recent thread about Windows 10 and FSX which can be found here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...030-Windows-10 .
    I hope this helps,
    Huub

It would be helpful to know what hardware you have now, how much you have in the budget and how you like to fly.

Spending other people's money is always a fun thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshman View Post
    It would be helpful to know what hardware you have now, how much you have in the budget and how you like to fly.

Spending other people's money is always a fun thing.
    My computer uses a Intel pentium dual core CPU 3,2 GHz, with 3.25 GHz RAM. The graphic card is an ATI Radeon X 700 SE. And my knowledge about computers finishes here.
    I could spent up to 1500 euros (1650 USD)

And this is the way I like to fly: as more real as possible

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vueloF18.jpg   first flight.JPG  

You didn't mention building or buying, but it should be helpful either way. Rather than post screen grabs here, I uploaded a zip that has three grabs of parts and prices to; http://www.lcsims.com/misc/SOH1specs.zip

You could use it for reference and play around with the cost involved, my specs workup was in the $1,300 range and where I am located I do not have to pay sales (VAT) tax, so that's one more item to consider.

If you have parts from the existing system that you want to use, then adjust and tweak as necessary. I believe it to be a pretty decent system that would run FSX at a good pace. If I were dealing with Prepar3D then I would choose a different video system.

Disclaimer: I did not spend a lot of time checking things out, such as; is the memory on the motherboard maker's approved list? Does the SSD work with the chipset of the motherboard? All little research items that helps go into a successful system build.

I don't have any experience of Windows 10. So I cannot say anything about it used with FSX.

All following concerns just FSX and is based on my experience. There are some demands for a FSX computer I list below:

1. CPU - get as fast (clock rate) as you can (and rather Intel than AMD) and more likely clockable (letter K in the CPU name) if you need/want to over clock CPU which speeds up FSX. Anything from 2 core or up is enough. CPU is the most important part in computer for FSX.

2. OS (Operating System - i.e. in this case Windows) - 64 bit system is must. Win 7 and Win 8.1 work fine and I suppose that Win 10 will do the same.

3. RAM - at least 8 GB (more is not needed). I explain a little. With 4 GB or 32 bit Windows both OS and FSX has to cram into 4 GB of memory. Then FSX won't get all memory it can use or in some cases desperatelly needs (4GB).

4. GPU - for just FSX almost any modern with 1 GB of memory (or more) should be enough. FSX isn't so dependant of GPUs as modern games. If you use also them, get as fast as you can afford.

That's all that is needed, but for your own convenience get also SSD drive(s) instead of HDD. Even a 500 GB SSD isn't too expensive anymore. It doesn't have to be near the fastest (and most expensive) of them. Even slowest SSD makes a huge difference compared to old HDDs.

Pekka

Thanks a lot. Now I have to talk to my wife...

Windows 10?

All I know is this:

Will get you this:

Respectfully:

David...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails windows 10  signature.jpg  
    "Remember, all you have to do is ask."

Members who have read this thread: 0