Running CFS3 in Windows 10: solved for now - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Running CFS3 in Windows 10: solved for now

I noticed there was an nvidia update, so I trashed PTO and MAW, updated, and reinstalled both and now they're working. I'm new to nVidia and I never had such a problem with ATI, but things seem good, so I'm not complaining! ETO next.

Haven't checked through all the posts here but have recently upgraded to win 10 on my C drive but have various versions of CFS3 on D and E drives. Initially I tried to fresh install from discs on to C with issues, so I copied a vanilla CFS3 version from D to C. Firstly the D CFS3 vanilla seems to work with no issues and it seems also the C copy version also. Haven't checked all by other 6 or so CFS3 versions yet, but will get to that and let y'all know.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

QUOTE hairyspin

Much tweaking and experimentation later, here's the lowdown on CFS3 in Windows 10. My thanks again to Tim (hypercide) for his discovering this.

1. Install CFS3 from your original CDs (or DVD if you're lucky). Make life easier by not installing to the default folder, use something like C:\CFS3 and avoid UAC problems later. Don't run the sim yet!
    2. Apply the 3.1 and 3.1a patches. Don't run the sim yet!
    3. Replace cfs3.exe with the unmentionable patch but don't run the sim yet!

Now set the patch program's compatibility as shown :–

Yes, the program is being set to run in 640x480 display mode and reduced colour. Don't panic!

Now run CFS3 and once the sim starts (in ghastly 1998–style graphics) you can set the display resolution and colour depth to suit your system (in my case 1680x1050 and 32-bit colour.) CFS3 will run happily but to exit the program use Control-Shift-Q.

With this done you can now use cfs3config.exe (run in XP SP3 compatibility) to set your preferences: disable intro movie, switch off dual-pass render, switch on high resolution z-buffer, the usual suspects. But one thing you must not do is switch on anti-aliasing. If you do there's a crash to desktop every time.

If your experience differs, let us know!
    END

The only advice I took from here was the last re anti aliasing. Don't know why but all my D drive installs then worked (without changing compatibility beyond win XP SP3) Prior to that my vanilla C drive CFS3 was fine but all D drive installs crashed after initial screen.

I've just spent 30 hours upgrading my Win 7 machine to Win 10, and I'm not through everything yet. I have 16 different installs and when I did the upgrade it managed to keep them all in place but annoyingly delete all of the folders set up by MultiCFS3. (I wish I had thought ahead to save them all somewhere to avoid having to customize each one again)

They won't run in Win 10 as is, but I'm successfully running them all in Win 7 compatibility mode.

Because I had a copy of my recent configoverrides posted here a few days ago I was able to use those without needing to go through the whole low color, low rez start-up trick posted above.

I did discover that my G-Sync monitor was not wanting to play nice with Win 10 in that it would only work in a few of my installs. After much sleuthing around I discovered that it was only the versions that were using both AnKor's Shaders and SweetFX that were getting G-Sync to kick in properly. (nothing at all, or each one by itself is not enough for G-Sync to work) Since I can run it with null settings it's no big deal, other than needing to set each of them up with all the needed SweetFX files.
    Last edited by MajorMagee; July 24th, 2016 at 08:12.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Sooner or later we are going to need a definitive (as can be) position WRT SweetFX and Ankor's stuff. At the moment I am confused!

Thanks Hairyspin

Updated to Win 10 om the last free day. FSX worked fine. No joy on CFS3.

Found Hairyspins dance routine of 17 April. Worked a treat. Took a few tries to replace the original cfs.exe with the no CD version, but then on startup it automatically adjusted to my 3 screen 3840 x 1024.

Thankyou to all the contributors to this "Revival Package" for CFS3. Next step is to figure the steps to get ETO up again.

Cheers,

JOHn

Thanks

I have tried everything but this sim isnt working on my Windows 10.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice and helped.

Im hanging up my wings for good I guess.

Good luck to everyone and God bless.

Works outside Program files in SP3 compatability. Now to solve mb problem and missing dlls which aren't missing!

Came across this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV9hezCU9Dk

havent tried it yet.

confused

So I get cfs3 in 2 days. I have looked thru all ways in this thread to get the game to work; if I install to a different directory like cfs3 will the game work as is or do I have or will I have to do all the voodoo that others have posted. I play silent hunter 4 and did not have to jump thru all the hoops to make it work I just installed in a different directory. I have d/l the unmentionable fix and am prepared to use it if necessary. will let you know the outcome. Brian

Can't exit QC without ETO5 crashing, please help!

After upgrading to win10x64 from win7x64, flying in qc the game crashes when exiting qc, is there a simple fix for this? I have all the .exe files set to xp sp3.
    My ETO install is from win7 and on a separate HDD from win10 upgrade. A CFS3 vanilla install from about 2 years ago works without problems. So is there a way around this or should I reinstall ETO5 and will that exit ok? see pic below and thanks for your help.

Try installing all but the vanilla in root C.

Thank you guys for the great info... I have Win 10 and installed CFS3 after what must be 10 years ish and it wouldn't work but thanks to you guys I now have a working CFS3. Now just gotta make time to fly and get back to doing modelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave(Dangerous)Boynton View Post
    Thank you guys for the great info... I have Win 10 and installed CFS3 after what must be 10 years ish and it wouldn't work but thanks to you guys I now have a working CFS3. Now just gotta make time to fly and get back to doing modelling.
    Greetings Dave.

I am still around as well.

Spend more time on my RC planes than siming, but have recently installed 10 separate CFS3 installs into W10.

No issue`s.

Kev

Blog Entries
    I followed the simple instructions to the letter, and wow it works in windows 10 thanks for the info.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CFS3WXcompatibility_zpsy4orfx0w.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	45332
    Look What I Have Become!

So here's what I did:

Installed CFS3 to the root directory using my two CD's (C:/Combat Flight Simulator 3).
    Updated to 3.1 (maybe I have a bad update patch?)
    Cut and pasted the Thingy into the main CFS3 folder
    Right Clicked on the thingy.exe -> Properties -> Compatibility -> Run in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3, Reduced Color Mode 16-bit, Run in 640 x 480, Disabled display scaling on high DPI setting.
    Then started for the first time. Once I start the splash screen comes up for a few seconds at full screen then crashes back to the desktop.

Any thoughts on where I'm going wrong? Sorry, I'm not the most knowledgeable user, but any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

Okay, that's consistent with another problem that occasionally crops up. Run cfs3config.exe (as Administrator) – it's in your CFS3 main directory – and wait until it reports "CFS3 has been configured". Close the program only with File/Exit or the configuration won't be saved.

Then try running CFS3 again.

edit: since recent Win 10 updates I've had to reset the Compatibility settings for the CFS3 thingy: that done, it runs just as well as before.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

My experience so far is that I have not had to mess with the config other than XP SP3 compatibility and running as admin. Plus outside program files and use thingy.
    Since it's only $5 or so a day for all downloads, I downloaded CFS3 from here I haven't used it yet so not sure if it is good inc 3.1 but assume no CD.

Update: Followed the above instructions, still without success, even tried the old-games d/l. It tries to load but it seems like it gets to a point in the process and then crashes.
    My computer is brand new HP, so I'm wondering if there some setting on my computer that needs to be changed or something else I'm missing. How about DirectX? I haven't installed it yet on my computer but I saw it mentioned in another thread. I downloaded it and tried to install, but I wasn't sure where to install to.

Any help appreciated! Really excited to get this resolved so I can play with the new P-61's and P-40's!

The DirectX 9.0c June 2010 download should be run and it will ask for a destination folder: this is where it will unpack the files, so make a new folder somewhere handy for this.

Once the files have unpacked, you'll find an executable DXSETUP.exe in the folder you created. Run that.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Thanks! Gave it a try and still no dice. Sorry about my incompetence, I last installed CFS3 in 2009 and even then on Vista.
    I might try to install CFS3 on another computer with Windows 10 to see if it works, that'll tell me if i'm doing something wrong or if it's a problem with my computer. It's my work computer though so I'll have to remove it right after though even if it works.
    Thanks for all of the help!

Mission Builder Shortcut

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    Works outside Program files in SP3 compatability. Now to solve mb problem and missing dlls which aren't missing!

You have to create a shortcut for mb.exe where the Target says something like this "C:\Combat Flight Simulator 3\mb\mb.exe" while Start in would say this "C:\Combat Flight Simulator 3\". It's looking for the files in the main Combat Flight Simulator 3 main root. At least, this works for me. I hope this help.

Thanks for the info regarding the 2 original CDs (Multiplay)

Thanks for narrowing down the problem regarding Windows 10. I did not know about the CD detection which does not work. I am fortunate enough to have the unmentioned patch in my library which permits me to narrow down the Multiplayer aspect of it. Multiplayer does work which I am lucky to do. In my case, I have copied my full installation of Combat Flight Simulator 3 from my Windows 7 64 bit hard drive (using a thumb drive) and transfer to the Windows 10 laptop. The same instructions regarding Windows 7 for multiplayer still implied. However, the new created .EXE of "cfs3.exe" (which need to be renamed something else other than cfs3.exe still need to be applied in order to work in Multiplayer), need to be changed to the compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3) and Disable display scaling on high DPI settings checked only. Run this program as an administrator does not work in multiplayer--it would hang at the Loading screen when trying to join the server. Also deleting (or moving) the oleacc.dll still need to be done as well.

OFF under Windows 10

I have made an edited gameplay video of Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven and Hell running under Windows 10 if anyone interesting. It's about 13 minutes long. I have found out that I had to do a clean vanilla install of OFF to make it work (couldn't copy the main folder from Windows 7). The clean install does work (however, the apply of the unmentioned .EXE need to be done on this one as well). You want to apply this patch before starting OFF for the first time. I have also found out that you don't need to delete or move the oleacc.dll file for multiplayer to work on CFS3 or OFF. Enjoy the video.

Video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jonlD4Ht_Wg/

Members who have read this thread: 26