Windows 10 snafu / content thread - Page 14
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 467891011121314

Thread: Windows 10 snafu / content thread

Hello everyone,

A big thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread. After reading through the posts I was finally able to get CFS2 back in 32bit mode. After some tweaks to my config file I'm back up and flying again and the graphics are pretty good.

Thanks again everyone.

Rob

Happy so see you back in the air again, SgtT!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

CFS2 Win10 Install Tutorial.zip

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Utilities Add-ons

Description: This guide should help you make a install of CFS2 on Windows 10 (Win 7 and 8 as well). Applying patches/fixes. Making Mission Builder desktop icon and a list of known bugs and oddities that CFS2 has with Win 7, 8 and 10. Comes as .htm or .pdf.

Credits: Aussie for info about the DxWrapper setup.

Allen
    9/17/22

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit CFS2 Win10 Install Tutorial.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Library Staff
    Thanks very much Allen! This tutorial will certainly be essential reading.

Kevin

Thank you for all the work Allen. This should help keep the old girl going longer.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Thank you Allen for simplifying a very long thread into a useful guide.

Greg
    "De Oppresso Liber"

What Kurt & Greg said - thanks for putting all this into a user-friendly format. Lots of really useful stuff

Hi Allen
    Nice work with the tutorial.
    It will be very useful.

Cheers
    Stuart

Allen, thank you for this very useful Install Guide.

Blog Entries
    The way i installed it was by dumping disc 1 and two into a folder and clicked the install application. No having to stop grab another disc or anything. Probably wouldn't work anyway but you don't need to run disc's its whats inside them what u need. yank it out of both discs and put it all together and your ready to install. you will need to either patch the executable or download a no cd cracked one already been under the hex editor for you. I been modding Sid Meir's Pirates over at Hooked on Pirates the Cutlass isle website for the last few years but I cut my teeth modding CFS 2. Probably would never left CFS2 but I got the bright idea to get married so u know how that goes. My handle here is Deathwind Le Vent de la mort but I'm Pirate at Cutlass Isle.

I'd love to install it - using Windows 10 - but it all seems overwhelming.
    I don't even have the CD's so how do I go about getting it?

Google it?

Used copies always available...

Ebay? (several less than Ł12)
    Cex? (couple less than Ł5)

Plus several other sellers...

Found a copy. Doesn't work so well.
    Also no scenery is loaded. Missing scenery folder. Missing objects. Cant load missions. What a mess it is.
    Last edited by Ruddman; October 3rd, 2023 at 14:57.

Everybody calm down. And stop helping. It works.

A new CFS2 addict is born...

FYI:

Mr. Ruddman no longer has a CFS2 problem.

Took care of it: quick, fast & in a hurry ... in a proficient Military fashion!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laughing2.gif 
Views:	85 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	91860
    Dirtman

~~ CFS2 Fulfills my need to "peacefully" blow things up ~~

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtman View Post
    FYI:Mr. Ruddman no longer has a CFS2 problem. Took care of it: quick, fast & in a hurry ... in a proficient Military fashion! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laughing2.gif 
Views:	85 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	91860
    Sure did. Much appreciated.

Win10……

….. been reading this post since inception. My box went “ta, ta” awhile back and no matter what I do it I couldn’t get it to be like Lazarus. So before I buy a Win10 box I ask this . Does this work around really work for CFS2 in Win10 .? If so maybe I can be like the great golfer Torino and get “back in the game again baby !”

Mcfs2 lan multi-player

Back in the early 2000s I had 4 windows 98 ..xp computers all linked together with cat 5 cables to play multi player mcfs2 without the internet.. I am currently itching to find 2 old pc with all those same spec to setup a 2 player lan.. win ep.. a cat5 network card.. hi end for the time period video card.. and a sound card with the db15 pin game port connection for the old Microsoft sidewinder force feedback joysticks I still have.. is this even possible to find these days.?? I'm completely computer illiterate these days.. now that cell phones do pretty much all I need.... where woukd I even begin to look.?? I definitely miss dog fighting the kids.. who are all grown with kids of their own now.. but now I have grandchildren to dogfight..! Lol

Finding anything older than Win7 is not easy. If you could find 2 Win7s that have dedicated video card that may be the way to go. I can make my 14 year old Win7 PC LAN to 5 or 6 year old Win10 PC just fine as well over WiFi since the are talking to the same WiFi router so you can get a good range Window OS PCs to work as well.

IIRC DB15 died around 2005. PS2 ports are all but gone now too. If you want a Force Feedback stick I know there are USB plugged Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 sticks on eBay but they are not cheap (50 to 150 USD). My self I use the old basic Non-Force Feedback MS Sidewinder Precision 2.
    Last edited by Allen; February 4th, 2024 at 22:22.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Members who have read this thread: 52