PMDG's next project, a DC-3 ?!?!?!?!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PMDG's next project, a DC-3 ?!?!?!?!

PMDG's next project, a DC-3 ?!?!?!?!

Yesterday I receiver the new PCPilot magazine.

It includes an interview with Robert Randazzo, founder of PMDG.

While the focus of the interview was a preview of the PMDG DC-6, one specific answer from Mr Randazzo got me VERY excited (even though I can't wait to add the DC-6 to my FSX hangar).

I quote:

PC PILOT:
    Is this a one off or will we see more classic aircraft of yesteryear from the PMDG stable?

Robert Randazzo:
    I think there will be more. In fact, the team making the DC-6 has told me that there will be more.
    They have their eyes set on a particular DC-3..

OMG, I would be in seventh heaven if PMDG were to do (ANY) DC-3.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Judging by the amount of time it has taken to bring the DC6 to even a perview
    stage, you probably will be.

In case humour doesn't travel well, this is a joke

Am I allowed to be negative? It will take decades and it comes only with glass cockpit.

Making always the same aircrafts....Connie? Convair 240 & family? Noo always the same DC-3.

I use your DC-3 constantly. It's one of my favorite aircraft. I have TW sounds and real engine, and the lovely new effects. It's by far the best freeware aircraft in FSX.

I'll be interested t see what PMDG does with a DC-3, someday, if they ever actually do it; but when the new Vcockpit is finally finished for your v2 model, it will be hard to beat that.

I hope mjahn sees that . People often confuse manfredc3 with him.... I did.

C

There's many classic props waiting for a good simulation! Sometime
    I don't understand developers, indeed
    The more you do, the less you dream

Of course I like the idea of a PMDG DC-3. But in addition to the (years-long?) lead time, keep in mind that the notional DC-3, like the upcoming DC-6, is in their new "classics" line, which, like their "lite" products (JS4100) won't have the in-depth system simulation you're used to from their top-of-the-line tubes. So while it's bound to be very good, I'm not sure how much of an edge it'll have over Manfred's C-47v3, or whatever he'll wind up calling the one with Jan's vintage VC. I feel like, with that, my gooney needs are going to be taken care of for a long time to come.
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_A View Post
    Of course I like the idea of a PMDG DC-3. But in addition to the (years-long?) lead time, keep in mind that the notional DC-3, like the upcoming DC-6, is in their new "classics" line, which, like their "lite" products (JS4100) won't have the in-depth system simulation you're used to from their top-of-the-line tubes. So while it's bound to be very good, I'm not sure how much of an edge it'll have over Manfred's C-47v3, or whatever he'll wind up calling the one with Jan's vintage VC. I feel like, with that, my gooney needs are going to be taken care of for a long time to come.
    I completely agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by ce_zeta View Post
    Making always the same aircrafts....Connie? Convair 240 & family? Noo always the same DC-3.
    Have I missed something? I'm only aware of Manfred Jahn's C-47 and the Just Flight DC-3. While Manfred Jahn's C-47 looks excellent the modified VC from the Basler just doesn't fit. Of course that will change once Jan's wonderful classic VC is released. And Just Flight's DC-3 is quite dated and looks somehow cartoonish. All in all I can't see a surplus of DC-3s.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_A View Post
    Of course I like the idea of a PMDG DC-3. But in addition to the (years-long?) lead time, keep in mind that the notional DC-3, like the upcoming DC-6, is in their new "classics" line, which, like their "lite" products (JS4100) won't have the in-depth system simulation you're used to from their top-of-the-line tubes.
    I wouldn't call the PMDG Jetstream 4100 a "lite product"! All systems including the FMS are fully simulated. The only thing that is missing is a detailed failure simulation. Maybe when you compare it with the PMDG 737 or 777 it looks like a "lite product" but it's still way ahead of what most of the other developers have to offer. And take a look at the feature list of the PMDG DC-6...it's very impressive.

And don't forget that Robert Randazzo owns and flies a DC-3 (PAA Clipper "Tabitha May" NC33611). Which means that they have hands-on experience with the DC-3 just like A2A with their Comanche. Therefore if they create a PMDG DC-3 I'm sure it will be the ultimate simulation of a DC-3. Exactly what I'm waiting for!

Greetings
    Tim
    Greetings
    Tim

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

@Tim-HH - having dug a little deeper in my memory and through the Interwebs... you're right about the JS4100 being more than a "lite" product. The confusion comes in because they first announced it as one, along the lines of their old Beech 1900. What was eventually published was a bit more complex - but still not on the level of their jet tubes - no system failures or abnormal procedures, for example.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle their DC-6 - their statements so far suggest it won't be in the league of the NGX for realism, but that still means it could go into some depth. I guess we'll find out, eventually. The DC-3, if there is one, would be in the same "Classics" line.

My question is, if they don't do deep systems modeling, how much of an advance will it be over Manfred's package, especially in its next evolution. Yes, given that Rob R owns one, you'd think they'd be able to create an Accu-Sim-alike rendering, but we'll have to see if they do.

@Bjoern - I hear you, but there aren't that many Daks out there. The FS9/FSX default is one of the better defaults, but still default; the MAAMSim is a portover that doesn't fully work in FSX. That leaves the JustFlight, which to me at least was an almost-but-not-quite, and Manfred's. So they're not quite as thick on the ground as, say, Buses or Boeings or P-51s (oh my!)... I'd argue there's room for one more...

-- Saint-Exupery

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    NABD*

*Not another bloody Dak!
    That's better then a CASA lol.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

We need a descent Connie teh JF one is nice but leaves lots of room for improvement.
    Intel 4790K @ 4.8GHz , 16 Gig Cas 10 2100 MHz ram, Nvidia GTX 970, 4Gig Video, Windows 7 64 Bit, Gigabyte GA Z87X-UD3H

Quote Originally Posted by mjrhealth View Post
    We need a descent Connie teh JF one is nice but leaves lots of room for improvement.
    I do agree, but as the D-3 is my all time favorite aircraft, I gladly get another one next to Manfred Jahn's excellent rendition.

And YES, of course we all know that, even when project start is announced, it will take several years before it is released.
    But I'd rather see light at the tunnel than wondering "would there ever be a .....".

With me not getting any younger, patience has become part of life.

Everyone is entitled to their own scepticism, but I am excited.

Oh, and NO, I am NOT Manfred Jahn, lol.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Sounds great but to be perfectly honest, between Mandred's DC-3 and Jan building the forthcoming VC for it, I'd have a great deal of difficulty paying for the PMDG version as the previous mentioned model will be more than enough to fulfill my needs and desires on the type. That being noted, I am more than certain that with the news of a future in depth DC-3/C-47 coming (as well as one other payware version that will eventually come to fruition), the field will be well filled to suit each and every need for those seeking a nice DC-3/C-47. It's all good news!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    Sounds great but to be perfectly honest, between Mandred's DC-3 and Jan building the forthcoming VC for it, I'd have a great deal of difficulty paying for the PMDG version...
    Agree completely!

-- Saint-Exupery

I´m 100% in the "I would prefer something else" group. Actually, I would have prefered something a tad smaller, like the Beech 18.
    The MJahn C47 is a wonderfull addon, being pay or freeware and I doubt very much that I will buying another. I just hope the new VC will be finished within to long, but I have my doubts about that.

But its a general thing. I also hope A2A will expand their GA fleet outside the "safe-zone" and make us a good classic bush plane which is bigger than the cub.

Helio Courier!
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by ce_zeta View Post
    Well, perhaps you could persuade Robert to trade in his personal DC-3 for a Convair 240...
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by Tim-HH View Post
    Have I missed something? I'm only aware of Manfred Jahn's C-47 and the Just Flight DC-3. While Manfred Jahn's C-47 looks excellent the modified VC from the Basler just doesn't fit. Of course that will change once Jan's wonderful classic VC is released. And Just Flight's DC-3 is quite dated and looks somehow cartoonish. All in all I can't see a surplus of DC-3s.
    Tim
    And the excelent MAAM DC-3. So, can you tell us how many Connies or convairliners we have?
    DC-3 is a legend but I think that other legends need more attention ATM.

If more people jumped of the bandwagon regarding making planes FSX native, there could be a whole assortment of DX10-ready propliners for FSX. The Calclassic stuff even has a bit of damage modeling.

SOH-CM-2023
    Another DC-3 ?? Sorry, but I will wait for the 50% off sale.

Personally, I'd like to see some more 1920s-30s biplane fighters developed like the
    Curtiss P-6 or P12 series. A detailed P-6E Hawk would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by glh View Post
    Sorry, but I will wait for the 50% off sale.
    Luckily PMDG never has any sales.

Greetings
    Tim
    Greetings
    Tim

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

Quote Originally Posted by manfredc3 View Post
    Yesterday I receiver the new PCPilot magazine.

It includes an interview with Robert Randazzo, founder of PMDG.

While the focus of the interview was a preview of the PMDG DC-6, one specific answer from Mr Randazzo got me VERY excited (even though I can't wait to add the DC-6 to my FSX hangar).

I quote:

PC PILOT:
    Is this a one off or will we see more classic aircraft of yesteryear from the PMDG stable?

Robert Randazzo:
    I think there will be more. In fact, the team making the DC-6 has told me that there will be more.
    They have their eyes set on a particular DC-3..

OMG, I would be in seventh heaven if PMDG were to do (ANY) DC-3.
    Thank you, I might be one of the few who welcome this

After owning most of their packages I'm looking forward to a detailed dak, along with the dc6

So what if we have another dc3, they excel in what they do, they have the fan base to do what they want

Like people have told me in the past, if you don't like the aircraft selection, don't buy them it's not going to hurt you missing out

Members who have read this thread: 0