Anyone have relatives serving in WW1? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone have relatives serving in WW1?

copterdrvr
    My maternal greatgrandfather served in the German army in WW1. He was actually fairly old at the time when he entered the war in 1914. At the time he was in his early 30's and served at the front throughout the entire war. After all I've read, I find it amazing that he survived the war as his entire time was spent at the front. I do have some awesome pictures as well as a few of his medals and his reservist beer stein, dated 1900-1903.

I am very glad he survived. they had belt buckles with Gott Mit Uns on them, many of them, that must have helped.
    Beached Admiral Naval Wargame Society 1978
    Admin
    3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin
    Tester of Ships: Sea Trials and Consults

Lt.Charles D. K.
    My grandfather's cousin (D.Knight) took down ten German pilots, i never got to meet him and he only lived about 90 miles north of us.

thatsme
    He's got an interesting page at The Aerodrome site.
    http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/usa/knight2.php

Cheers,
    Thatsme

Lt.Charles D. K.
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsme View Post
    He's got an interesting page at The Aerodrome site.
    http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/usa/knight2.php

Cheers,
    Thatsme
    yes, thank you, talking with mom this last weekend she corrected me that he ended up in Walnut Creek, California, which is about 400 miles north of us

Wildfowler
    My Grandfather served in the Royal Horse Artillery on the Western Front and my maternal Grandfather served in the Royal Navy at Gallipoli where he was wounded.

My Wifes Grandfather served in the Royal Flying Corp starting as an Observer then flying Sopwith Camels.

Austro-Hungarian Fliegertruppen

Hello, this has been interesting to read little bits of information from family histories quickly becoming lost to time...only one other person mentioned having a relative on the "Other" side?

My grandfather was the Technical Officer for Flik70D from 11/17 to 4/17 - the officer he replaced was killed testing the Knoller C.II which proved to be a Riesenflop. Flik70D was on the Eastern front originally but transferred in 1/18 to San Godega di Urbano. Apparently he completed 82 flight in a dual-control plane - I believe it to be an Oeffag C.II - and eventually made 88 solo flights. In April he returned to Vienna to study at the Technical School (Studienurlaub); evidently never returning to the active duty. Flik70 had a tough time through the summer so perhaps I would not be here had he stayed...

This I discovered through archival material - there are no family memories/stories of him talking about his experiences - only a few photographs.

Regards!