TFI Friday

Thread: TFI Friday

UK_Widowmaker

TFI Friday

Yes, I am getting that Friday Feeling.
    Got no jobs in for tomorrow, wife and child are off to ride their horse, and it's looking like 'Ops' are a go for tomorrow.

I am looking forward to flying a few Two Seaters, and the Walfische and Hannover are two of my favourites from Childhood.

My older brother had all the WW1 airfix model aircraft...nicely painted they were, and as a young boy of 5 or 6 they were the untouchable forbidden fruits...But I would stare at them, enjoying the smell of paint, the garish colours of the 'aces' that were sitting on those shelves..... I would imagine swooping and diving in the clouds like a bird...the roar of the engines, and the rat a tat of machine guns!

Sometimes...just sometimes, when I am flying OFF... I am a little boy of six years old again.

Thank you OFF team, for transporting me back, to those wonderful, carefree days....just for a while at least.

Winder
    Thanks for the positive feedback UKWM,

Great to read!

Ta

WM

Rupert
    It's alright for some, I'm still waiting for mine!

Giant2111
    Quote Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
    It's alright for some, I'm still waiting for mine!
    yepp! Still waiting. There was no disk in the mail today:faint:. Its been 10 Bd´s now, since I received the order placement confirmation and the e-mail, that my disk has been shiped.

But as Widowmaker stated, it is that special feeling you gave to us, even for P2.
    Thx!

77Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by UK_Widowmaker View Post
    Sometimes...just sometimes, when I am flying OFF... I am a little boy of six years old again.
    UK, I know what you mean. Kind of magical isn't it?

Blog Entries
    My older brother had all the WW1 airfix model aircraft...nicely painted they were, and as a young boy of 5 or 6 they were the untouchable forbidden fruits...But I would stare at them, enjoying the smell of paint, the garish colours of the 'aces' that were sitting on those shelves..... I would imagine swooping and diving in the clouds like a bird...the roar of the engines, and the rat a tat of machine guns!

That hits the nail on the head, as well as the history and the interest and the myriad of other feelings the sims evoke, there's something in there that awakens the boy in all of us... if only I could have had this pc and these sims thirty odd years ago!

....or in the words of Spike Milligan, "Good God I'm pissed".
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

...had all the WW1 airfix model aircraft...nicely painted they were, and as a young boy of 5 or 6 they were the untouchable forbidden fruits...But I would stare at them, enjoying the smell of paint, the garish colours of the 'aces' that were sitting on those shelves..... I would imagine swooping and diving in the clouds like a bird...the roar of the engines, and the rat a tat of machine guns!

[quote]

Just had watched a bit of the "Red Baron" movie in the other thread, and now, reading this, I realise even more, that we are all very similar in most ways.
    I used to buy AIRFIX models, when I was a kid. I still remember, that the smallest 1:72 planes were 2,- Deutsche Mark, and that was all, I could afford from my pocket money. Paint? Next week!
    But, before you get too melancholic, WIDOWMAKER, you should perhaps enter your cockpit and enjoy a flight. You must not even fight. Pick a "Quick Flight", and "Free flight" with no opponents, and glide through the summer afternoon of 1917. Well, I would - if I only had BHaH already...

Maeran
    Ah, but how many terrible paint jobs did you do before you had a decent collection of paints?

It's been about 15 years since I last built an airfix model, but I still remember the gloopy mess that was my RE8's wings. (On the other hand, my Sopwith Pup was absolutely beautiful, you learn) The 1:72 Fokker Dr1 was tiny. But it was from the box for it that I learned about Voss, so that was worth it.

Still no P3 in Germany?

P3 arrived in Berlin for others, but I can only order it when my bank account is balanced again (which hopefully will be on Monday!), as I want to use PayPal. And then, when it's ordered, it will still take at least two weeks, I'm afraid.
    But when I get in all the money I should, I'll also buy TrackIR, a Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar, pedals, and a new graphic card!

Bonestorm
    Quote Originally Posted by UK_Widowmaker View Post
    Yes, I am getting that Friday Feeling.
    Got no jobs in for tomorrow, wife and child are off to ride their horse, and it's looking like 'Ops' are a go for tomorrow.

I am looking forward to flying a few Two Seaters, and the Walfische and Hannover are two of my favourites from Childhood.

Thank you OFF team, for transporting me back, to those wonderful, carefree days....just for a while at least.
    Me too - 'clear skies AM' seems to be on the bill for Sat! Yay! Still fiddling to up my FPS ( XP, Nvidia 9800GTX 512mb, AthlonFX55, 3gig ram ) - those rendering tweaks elsewhere in forum gave me a boost from 20fps to 29-30fps on average! S! I used to do airfix planes - got to a standard where I won comps with'em ( my Grey Ghost Phantom was my pinnacle ); one of my fave moments was painting a 1/32 SPAD 13's prop in wood-effect, for my Bro's model; spent a whole afternoon on just the prop ( yup I'm sad). Once made a scale balsa Camel, powered by rubber bands! Had so much torque it just spiralled once released doh!
    I might slip in a viewing of Aces High ( my fave WW1 ) just to get me pumped!
    Here's to Saturday being very much an OFF day for many! ( Don't sweat Deutschlanders, you'll be in by next weekend ):friday:

Bonestorm
    Quote Originally Posted by Maeran View Post
    Ah, but how many terrible paint jobs did you do before you had a decent collection of paints?

It's been about 15 years since I last built an airfix model, but I still remember the gloopy mess that was my RE8's wings. (On the other hand, my Sopwith Pup was absolutely beautiful, you learn) The 1:72 Fokker Dr1 was tiny. But it was from the box for it that I learned about Voss, so that was worth it.

Still no P3 in Germany?
    - just a thought dude; the other week I bought a 1/72 DR1 Revell ready-painted kit ( about twelve parts!) for £1.50 - no glue/paint needed! Did it for old times sake. Looks nice sat on my PC...try one!

UK_Widowmaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonestorm View Post
    - just a thought dude; the other week I bought a 1/72 DR1 Revell ready-painted kit ( about twelve parts!) for £1.50 - no glue/paint needed! Did it for old times sake. Looks nice sat on my PC...try one!
    Aha!..You're from Brighton eh?...My old hometown, before I moved way north!!
    :ernae: