Gmax Tutorials - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gmax Tutorials

Last edited by Milton Shupe; April 6th, 2014 at 10:27.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

polecat0942
    Thanks Milton, that link did it :friday:

Just a quick query,

How are you setting up the images in GMax? Whenever I do it (Via applying a meterial) it gets really blurry. Is there a setting i've missed or just a better way to do it?

Cheers
    Matt
    All modern aircraft have four dimensions: Length, Width, Height and Polotics. The TSR.2 simply got the first three right

Lots of ways to do it depending on what version of FS you are designing for and what graphics programs you use.

I develop for FS9, use Gmax 1.2, so I simply use 24-bit bmp or convert them to jpeg for use in gmax. They must be sized a power of 2 (256x256, 512x512, 1024x1024), or a combination of powers of 2 like 256x1024.

When moving to FS texture folders, you then copy and convert those textures to 32-bit, DXT3, 8-bit, or whatever your FS version supports.

Large exterior parts need large textures. Think about "pixels per foot" dividing your part length on the texture by the texture pixels L,W, or Height. This number need to be high enough to have texture clarity.

Small aircraft fuselages might me mapped across a 1024 but a large aircraft will need halves mapped to a 1024.

VC's also require large textures because you are so close to the detail. A small fighter cockpit panel is okay on a 1024, but a two-pilot aircraft will require you to break the panel into halves or thirds to get clarity.
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; April 6th, 2014 at 10:28.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. When I am texturing the dimension box with the three views they come out really blurry, see atached. I all of the tutorials you've posted the images are much clearer. Is it possible for you to say what I'm doing wrong?

( although the VC stuff is useful)
    All modern aircraft have four dimensions: Length, Width, Height and Polotics. The TSR.2 simply got the first three right

Mine looked like a road crash, Matt. I found a 26MB video tutorial at fsalpha.com which explained it, but in the interests of bandwidth, here's an explanatory pic.

I used the OpenGL driver under XP on my old video card, but the principle is the same as for DirectX drivers.

HTH
    Last edited by hairyspin; October 14th, 2017 at 13:07.

HTH has it right ... Match Bitmap as close as possible needs to be checked in his example. Thanks
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Hey! Thats worked a treat! Cheers.

Merry Christmas

Hello everybody,i started the map tutorials,but i have a problem,when creating the template a diferent messagebox appears,and my template is diferent,and how i apply the glass and blurred textures?

Thanks again

Pilotwing,

Your LithUnwrap template looks great.

You will want to save that at 2048 X 2048 to work on but FS9 will need it at 1024 X 1024.

I usually save a 1024 for the gmax UVW folder and convert it to jpg to save memory while modeling. (makes a big difference for me when things get busy)

The process flow goes like this:
    1. Map parts and then export selected named to quake md3 folder
    2. Open LithUnwrap, Open model, named exported parts from md3 folder
    3. Now Save Bmp to your UVW folder. Change to jpg and reduce size if you wish)
    4. Apply the new template to the selected gmax parts

Later, take your 2048 or 1024 bmp and change it to the proper format for FS texture folder.

Does this answer your question?
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thanks again,but why my template is not filled like yours,and how do you make the template looks like a real plane texture?

MustangNightFighter
    Sorry if this is an obvious question, but how do I get stuff to show up in Gmax. Like I go to open the SDK stuff for CFS3 and it says its there, I can select it if I randomly click on the black screen, but that is all I can see, a black screen. Did I do something wrong here or do I need to go to a special view or something. Oh yeah, when I went to open Gmax the first time, there was some box that popped up asking about something like Heidi and Direct 3D. I chose like 3D or something. Does that have anything to do with it?

Try changing the driver to OpenGL ... see attached screenshot.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

MustangNightFighter
    Perfect, thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by pilotwing View Post
    Thanks again,but why my template is not filled like yours,and how do you make the template looks like a real plane texture?
    That is because you have the beta version of LithUnwrap 1.3.

I've updated the link referenced by Milton's tutorial to allow folks to get the "release version" of LithUnwrap 1.3...
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

So i check the tutorials again and download the lith unwrap of that link

Thanks
    Gettin' better all the time
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by pilotwing View Post
    Thanks again,but why my template is not filled like yours...?
    When you save the template from LithUnwrap, do you have this box checked?
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    When you save the template from LithUnwrap, do you have this box checked?
    The version that I had in that post at FFDS was to v1.3beta which does not have those options...

I still had the v1.3beta installed myself, and didn't even know there was a more recent, release version available...

...so I went a'googling for it.

I've updated the link to point to the release version of LithUnwrap. :gossip:
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Thanks Bill; I appreciate that.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I downloaded the new version of lith unwrap,now i got all the options and a cool filled template.

Thanks to all of you
    Gettin' better all the time
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ghopper
    Hi all,
    I'm trying my hand at FSx modeling. I'm stuck on trying to set up Milton's calibration box. I've read the tutorial he posted in this thread. The new one on flightsimonline....the original from here is no longer (or not yet re-available) due to the server crash. I've made my 3 views saved in jpg 24 bit format, but when I choose the UVW mapping it just puts in a blank white sheet. I'm sure I'm just missing a step, just not sure which one.

TIA,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by ghopper View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm trying my hand at FSx modeling. I'm stuck on trying to set up Milton's calibration box. I've read the tutorial he posted in this thread. The new one on flightsimonline....the original from here is no longer (or not yet re-available) due to the server crash. I've made my 3 views saved in jpg 24 bit format, but when I choose the UVW mapping it just puts in a blank white sheet. I'm sure I'm just missing a step, just not sure which one.

TIA,
    Dan
    Dan,

Look for a blue button in the Editor with a tooltip that says "Show image in Viewport" or something to that affect.

I hope this helps.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

ghopper
    Milton,
    Thanks for the reply. With that info and using your C162 file as a guide I finally got the top view to show up in the perspective port. It didn't show up from the top viewport, so I still have some work to figure out. For now I had only applied the one map to the bottom of my calbox. I noticed in your C162 drawing that only the calbottom has the UVW Map. If I click on the other sides, it just shows editable mesh. I'll add the other views and reattach everything to make the box whole again. Maybe that has something to do with it. While doing this I checked my bitmap size and the dimension ratio's don't match the airplanes dimension ratio's, so my map is squished. I'll either have to find another to work with or come up with another solution for that as well.

Dan

Dan,

The best advice I can give you is to get the 3-views correct first and then crop them tight to the outer edges of the wings, fuselage, and top/bottom.

Ensure the aspect ratios are correct before proceeding.

Create your calibration box precisely to the aircraft dimensions. (The box should now agree with your cropped 3-views from a dimensions ratio standpoint.)

Detach all the calibration sides, map them and fit the UVW map to the sides/top/bottom.

Now apply your 3-views to each side.

You should now be ready to start modeling.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

ghopper
    Milton....thanks again. I've made some headway. I've got the mapping partially figured out. My calibration box has the normals flipped and all sides detached. I've got UVW mappings on bottom and three sides. My problem now is what happens when I reattach the sides together. I started with my bottom and attached the right and back sides of the box. I still don't get a picture from any of the normal orthoganal views (top, front, back, or either side). Also after attaching my bottom map goes to a small thumbnail size unless I click on the UVW mapping and then it comes back to full size, but the other views go blank. Any ideas?

Dan

Here are 3 attached screenshots of what I've gotten so far. Well, maybe not, my upload failed even thou I have the legal size and dimensions allowed for a png extension.