Reasons FSX Users Don't Move to P3D - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reasons FSX Users Don't Move to P3D

If you look at the essentials of every flight simulation - flightdynamics, weather system, simulation of the aircraft core systems, ATC - P3D offers absolutely no improvements compared with FSX. So for me it looks like P3D is just FSX with some makeup. But sure, if you consider cloud shadows a must a change to P3D might be a worthwhile option.

Greetings
    Tim
    Greetings
    Tim

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    One simple reason not to switch for me: I don't want to get a credit card to buy P3D. If they would accept Paypal (Which they don't and have no plans to do so.) I would have bought it already.
    A bit OT but since I read this frequently: you don't need a "real" credit card for that. There are services with "one-time" (single use) virtual credit cards out there.

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-HH View Post
    If you look at the essentials of every flight simulation - flightdynamics, weather system, simulation of the aircraft core systems, ATC - P3D offers absolutely no improvements compared with FSX. So for me it looks like P3D is just FSX with some makeup. But sure, if you consider cloud shadows a must a change to P3D might be a worthwhile option.

Greetings
    Tim
    Hi Tim,

You had a look on the P3D site to see how much P3D has evolved? (About 11 major mods as compared to 0 with FSX?) FSX:SE has been tweaked to work with Steam & modern PC's.

So, if you think that P3D is just FSX with cloud tweaks, maybe you should read up a bit more.

Greetings
    Tim
    I'm sorry Tim but:

Flightdynamics: vastly improved
    Weather system: improved quite a bit
    Aircraft core systems: take a look at the F-22 RADAR in there if you will.

Apart from overall smoothness and vastly improved graphics through the use of DX11, all of the above represent a major step forward when compared to the dinosaur technology FSX... And when P3D becomes 64 bit, all of this will improve even more.

It's a bit like comparing CFS3 to Cliffs of Dover. No contest whatsoever. Mickey$oft gave up on the flightsim community and they're never coming back. Hell, they kicked us where it hurts after decades of customer loyalty. But that is probably a good thing. New people from the aerospace industry have taken over. Where FSX is a game, P3D is a simulation.

Johan

Why should FSX or P3D bring anything to the aircraft core systems ?
    It's not the simulator task to handle these. Instruments are handled by the addon itself. The sim simply offers that addon an interface to express itself in the virtual world.
    FSX does not support weapons at all. Yet we got TacPack, right ? Same goes with any system. There are almost no limitations at all.

I have both as well FSX-SE which I have yet to download, however to be honest I have not fired up either sim for some time. I seem to playing with War Thunder and Assetto Corsa now, guess when Project Cars is released that will take more of my time.
    So I am sure at some point I will get back to the flying and download 2.5 P3D.

Just found out that P3D does not have a full screen mode so that is a problem for me because I use Nvidia DSR and it only works in full screen.

Quote Originally Posted by TeiscoDelRay View Post
    P3D does not have a full screen mode.
    Is this true?!
    Your English is better than my French, German, Italian, Spanish.... so no worries my friends!

I use DSR with my 980 and it works full screen mode in P2.5. So I don't know where you got that information.

Creeps

Quote Originally Posted by TeiscoDelRay View Post
    Just found out that P3D does not have a full screen mode so that is a problem for me because I use Nvidia DSR and it only works in full screen.
    What LM calls full screen mode is not the same as the full screen exclusive (FSE) mode in FSX. P3D uses a simulated fullscreen mode. This means that NVidia Inspector 1/2 refresh rate Vsynch does not work in P3D. The result is that for many people it is impossible to fly turns without screen tearing.

DSR has nothing to do with this, it works with P3D, just make sure you have in game Display - Graphics "Black out desktop" and "Auto fill main view" checked.

Here is a good explanation of the difference between windowed, simulated fullscreen and FSE:
    http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/topi.../3/#post-50294

Thanks, I was under impression that DSR only works in true full screen but if you guys have it working in P3D's version of full screen than that is good enough for me.

I like this thread!

Regarding the 'full screen mode' aspect of P3D, let me ask in a different way. I'm using FSX in Full Screen with 1/2 refresh rate set in NI (otherwise I do get screen tearing), DSR and DX10 Fixer. Good looking screen, pretty smooth, not hitting any VAS issues with my add-ons (basically a happy camper). Will P3D2v5 offer me an equivalent image quality experience? Would I give up anything? Would I gain anything?
    Your English is better than my French, German, Italian, Spanish.... so no worries my friends!

I have no VSync issues in P3D, despite the "fake" full-screen. I also use the DSR to improve the quality of the antialiasing, and that works quite well. Additionally, I'm using Sweetfx to improve the colors. The HDR effect coupled with the new "fog" effect and the cloud shadows give a very enjoyable rendering.
    As I wrote earlier, the only thing I'm missing is the special colors from the ENB bloom, but that doesn't work in FSX DX10 either, so it's off-topic for your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post
    Flightdynamics: vastly improved
    Weather system: improved quite a bit
    Could you maybe be a bit more specific? From what I know LM has not touched the flightdynamics or the weather system. All they have done in this area it to make it easier for developers to use a own custom flight model. But if you have other informations, I would be interested to know them.

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Why should FSX or P3D bring anything to the aircraft core systems ?
    It's not the simulator task to handle these.
    Of course it is! While developers like A2A or PMDG program all aircraft systems from scratch, most other developers do rely on the FSX/P3D default aircraft systems. Unfortunately these systems are only very basic (e.g. the autopilot) and/or full of shortcomings (e.g. the bad simulation of the turboprop turbine). So an improvement of the core aircraft systems would have a positive impact on almost every addon aircraft.

All I wanted to say is that LM so far has mainly focused on improving the visual side of the simulation. The rest is more or less identically to FSX. Which is not bad as it means that we can use most of our addons in both simulators. But some new features to the core of the simulation like a weather system with moving fronts or a realistic helicopter flight model would make it much more appealing to switch to P3D.

Greetings
    Tim
    Greetings
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    I'm not totally impressed by having to purchase each new 'full' version either. I know that incremental updates are free and it's nice to know that LM are in a position to listen to users and update accordingly but I really can't be doing with the hassle of a re-install every few months.
    Allow me to make two point here:

1. How is having to license a new 'full' version any different than the case of FS8, FS9, FSX, etc.? The next major version v3.x is not likely to be released for many, many months, so that's not too much to worry about.

2. Beginning with the current v2.5, 'full installs' will no longer be required. L-M have promised a more traditional, incremental patch update from now on.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

My reasons:
    - If I'm honest about the license I need to buy, its simply too expensive for me, especially considering that
    - I'd need to almost re-buy the A2A aircraft and some others I like with appropriate P3D licensing
    - In addition, Flight1 is stubbornly refusing so support the sim last time I checked, and I really like their KingAir and C182 a lot

If P3D goes 64bit, and a majority of the addons I like will support that, that might be the incentive I need to spend all that additional money.

. . . . . .But some new features to the core of the simulation like a weather system with moving fronts . . . . . . would make it much more appealing to switch to P3D.
    Greetings
    Tim
    LM's position on "Weather" in general has been (and I think it remains so at this point) that they are staying out of the weather generating business and instead leaving that for the various weather programs available within the community.

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    Allow me to make two point here:

1. How is having to license a new 'full' version any different than the case of FS8, FS9, FSX, etc.? The next major version v3.x is not likely to be released for many, many months, so that's not too much to worry about.

2. Beginning with the current v2.5, 'full installs' will no longer be required. L-M have promised a more traditional, incremental patch update from now on.
    Quite easy to respond to both really. You use FS8, FS9, FSX as examples. With these.. you got a whole new sim.. for better or worse. With P3D (thus far as far as I can see).. LM run incremental updates for a given period (I don't know what that is) then release a 'new' version. The new version is (again, as far as I can see) more of the same.. some things broken.. others fixed. It could be considered another update to all intents and it is. Don't get me wrong.. I've nothing against a sim growing and being improved. I'm more against less and less of what I currently use no longer working. Money IS an object here. In the grand scale of things.. I've only recently moved to FSX and am not yet ready to start forking out for things that are P3D compatible. When P3D becomes more 'final release' (if it will ever reach that point) and importantly.. WHEN I have a system capable of running it, I'll reconsider.

As for the second point.. all well and good

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    LM's position on "Weather" in general has been (and I think it remains so at this point) that they are staying out of the weather generating business and instead leaving that for the various weather programs available within the community.
    Thanks for the info! But that are two different things as the FSX/P3D weather system sets the boundaries for all these weather tools. The weather tools are injecting their weather into the FSX/P3D weather system and therefore they can't overcome its deficits.

Greetings
    Tim
    Greetings
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by odourboy View Post
    Is this true?!

Yup.. True

Its a matter of cost-fun analysis for me, my current rig is about at it's limits with FSX, P3D would require a new system, so figure about ~ 1000USD + P3D and addon licenses. Being that I hold FAA pilot certificates, I would be 'obligated' to buy pro licences not only for P3D but any corresponding addon.

I don't see the need to invest that kind of money into what would be a marginal increase in 'fun'. With A2A/RealAir/PMDG/F1...etc addons, ASN, REX, Orbx Scenery, DX10 fixer, most FSX deficiencies are well covered. I don't see going from FSX to the current form of P3D to be the same as going from say FS9 to FSX. FSX still has plenty of life left in it. The day A2A announces they stop supporting FSX products, then I will consider it. Perhaps then P3Dv3 or 4 will be on the shelf, and the jump will be much more worthwhile.

This is coming from someone who still uses a flip phone. I see no need to pay $$ for a smartphone when the dumbphone is fine for making phonecalls and the occasional text message.

Cheers
    TJ
    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by pilottj View Post
    most FSX deficiencies are well covered.
    FSX is a 32bit program whose core has not been improved in about a decade.
    When hardware [and its OS] is very much going 64bit by the minute FSX will always be a dinosaur [and only become more so as time progresses]

Nothing will make FSX multi-core aware or capable of addressing ram beyond the 32bit threshold. Getting it to be 'high memory aware' is a bandaid fix...sort of wet, soggy bandaid that slips off...

If MS were to rewrite it in 64bit I think people might then realise just how clunky it is/was ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post
    Well, for starters: your laptop isn't that lowly IMHO. For a laptop those specs look good. But I'm afraid you wouldn't be able to run P3D well. I imagine that no laptop would (except for those horribly expensive gaming laptops). But in all honesty, I wouldn't run FSX from a laptop either. FS9 maybe.

But the above is because I like to see my FPS at least in the double digits. The way I have set it up right now, FPS hardly ever drop below 30 FPS.

Johan

Johan although it is only a 13" screen, it runs fsx pretty well. I was flying around (through) the las vegas strip tonight at about 30fps with dx10. Other than it is a laptop, is there any reason to think P3D v2.5 would not run about as well as fsx with dx10?

"...While developers like A2A or PMDG program all aircraft systems from scratch..."

I cannot speak for PMDG, however A2A hardly develops the aircraft systems from scratch... Their Flight Models are based nearly entirely on stock FSX code, and a build-up of that code. Probably less that 5% rely on some genius 'outside' program.

- Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Quote Originally Posted by clmooring View Post
    Johan although it is only a 13" screen, it runs fsx pretty well. I was flying around (through) the las vegas strip tonight at about 30fps with dx10. Other than it is a laptop, is there any reason to think P3D v2.5 would not run about as well as fsx with dx10?
    Well, that is pretty amazing! If your run FSX with DX10, and your GFX card is DX11 capable, you could (I say COULD) run P3D.

I'm actually pretty curious about the results!

Johan

Members who have read this thread: 1