FSX Steam on sale for only $5! Limited time only! - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: FSX Steam on sale for only $5! Limited time only!

I just booted Steam, updated FSX-SE, and did a few touch and goes from our own SOH member HenryStreet's NAS Lemoore scenery.

The sim runs quite smooth! Am liking it! NC

anyone know how to fix this (only in FSX SE)

Sorry for the stupid question, but why do you use Arrestor Cable ?
    FSX-SE includes Acceleration, so you don't need any additional software to simulate the carrier ops (catapult and cables), right ?

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Sorry for the stupid question, but why do you use Arrestor Cable ?
    FSX-SE includes Acceleration, so you don't need any additional software to simulate the carrier ops (catapult and cables), right ?
    The best freeware assistence (you don't need to instal anything) to air-refueling
    Also for now there are some problem to cat-launch the AS F-14 X, so this solve this problem in the Boxed FSX

Question:
    If you have both versions of FSX ( Gold and SE) on the computer , do they have to reside on the same drive?
    I put SE on /D drive and Gold is on /C and I can not seem to get 3rd party aircraft to work even though the DEV. has a patch for the aircraft to work on SE

Rick

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

Quote Originally Posted by papab View Post
    Question:
    If you have both versions of FSX ( Gold and SE) on the computer , do they have to reside on the same drive?
    I put SE on /D drive and Gold is on /C and I can not seem to get 3rd party aircraft to work even though the DEV. has a patch for the aircraft to work on SE

Rick
    Some of this 3rd party can install using Flight1 Registry Repair Tool, assigning the FSX version you will to use. No difference in driver instalation of both

Another of 3rd party can instal only 1 time in same PC as the Captain Sim Weapon. Others have big problems! I have tried to instal the VRS weapons in FSX SE but give me error in the installation. And both are working without problems in FSX Boxed version

Quote Originally Posted by Hanimichal View Post
    anyone know how to fix this (only in FSX SE)
    Is FSUIPC 4.938c installed?
    Or the legacy SimConnect releases*?

*Installation - see here:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...l=1#post930137

Quote Originally Posted by Hanimichal View Post
    Some of this 3rd party can install using Flight1 Registry Repair Tool, assigning the FSX version you will to use. No difference in driver instalation of both

Another of 3rd party can instal only 1 time in same PC as the Captain Sim Weapon. Others have big problems! I have tried to instal the VRS weapons in FSX SE but give me error in the installation. And both are working without problems in FSX Boxed version
    Thank you for the feedback!
    Rick

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

to buy or not to buy

I just read the interwiew of the dovetail boss on avsim, i have read some post on SOH and Pilote virtuel (French site) and i can't take a decision...
    If you have FSX Gold with acceleration, do you think really that buy FSX Steam is reasonable now or do you want to wait for see what FSX could become with a major transformation?
    Also there is P3D an another solution perhaps more expensive but really good...
    To buy or not to buy* that is the question ?
    *it's strange it's remember me an another sentence with dilemma of a great author.

Help us to took a decision!!!

Quote Originally Posted by georges-andre View Post
    I just read the interwiew of the dovetail boss on avsim, i have read some post on SOH and Pilote virtuel (French site) and i can't take a decision...
    If you have FSX Gold with acceleration, do you think really that buy FSX Steam is reasonable now or do you want to wait for see what FSX could become with a major transformation?
    The answer is extremely simple.
    If you had considered this question at the right time, that is when FSX-SE was sold for 5 dollars only, then YES, it was totally worth it to buy FSX-SE, even if you already had a "normal" FSX. Just because DVDs are a stupid format (fragile and slow), and because the installation and activation of the original game is very often problematic.
    But, now that FSX-SE is sold for 25 dollars, the situation is totally different. And if your original FSX still works correctly and your DVDs are still in good shape, then it's not a good idea to buy FSX-SE now.

Also there is P3D an another solution perhaps more expensive but really good...
    P3D is not another solution. It's THE solution. But not right now, not until the major addons (PMDG, VRS...) become compatible. But when they will be, P3D will be the ultimate FS.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Is FSUIPC 4.938c installed?
    it was the new FSUIPC I had not updated, Thanks

However, the problem with P3D is STILL their limitations on licensing and sales. I know it is 'only' official, but it also means they can withdraw it all tomorrow without having to worry about us, poor consumers. I would also guess that it is even LESS important for them revenue wise than it was for MS :-(
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

And I particularly like the "you have to pay us in order to develop for OUR program"? Wait - what? I, a developer have to pay you, Lockheed, to develop more capability for YOUR simulation?

Not gonna happen in my lifetime, I assure you.

They ought to be paying me!
    "Being good is not enough when you dream of being great"
    Author of NEUWUC family of programs

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
    And I particularly like the "you have to pay us in order to develop for OUR program"? Wait - what? I, a developer have to pay you, Lockheed, to develop more capability for YOUR simulation?

Not gonna happen in my lifetime, I assure you.

They ought to be paying me!
    Are you sure that you aren't interpreting too much into the "Development Subscription" that is offered for P3D?

If so: The subscription only means that you'll get two P3D licenses for use on development and testing computers and access to any future updates (even major ones, like from v1 to v2). At $10 a month it's a bit of a steal if you're a payware dev who's in for the long run. Just ask Bill Leaming (n4gix).

Well, I don't need 2 licenses since I fly solo here. And I'm not doing payware. But the license doesn't seem to discern between payware and freeware.

In any case, my efforts are designed to increase the number of people using a flight simulator, which in essence makes me part of the marketing. I have several very kind folk who are helping me develop and host the NEUWUC server - for free. I still have to pay for the domain name, etc which I am willing to do. I do not want to have to charge folks for what I am doing - at least not until it all works perfectly - like it ever will. I won't charge anyone unless the hosting service charges me - and the fellow who owns it is also a flight simmer and friend and very sympathetic to my cause.

There's several other reasons I won't make NEUWUC payware.But be that as it may, unless there was a serious requirement to move to P3D, I won't. And by the looks of it Lockheed Martin is not going to open up P3D (legally) to the general public. So I'm continuing development and waiting to see where the winds blow. And I could always shift back to X-Plane which is more developer friendly than LM.
    "Being good is not enough when you dream of being great"
    Author of NEUWUC family of programs

What are you talking about?

The SDK for P3D is always free, no matter what kind of license you use!
    You can perfectly well purchase the $60 academic license, download the SDK and develop your stuff like you used to for FSX, FS9, FS8, FS7, etc...
    Heck, even I could make stuff with P3D's SDK without even owning the simulator!

http://prepar3d.com/support/sdk/

If you're really complaining about having to purchase simulation software despite being a developer, then at least have a jab at Microsoft, Dovetail and Laminar Research as well, because their SDKs are only available when you purchase the main product.

We (developers) aren't working to "develop more capability for [their] simulation" at all. They (L-M) don't get any pecuniary benefit from our efforts.

I earn my entire living from FS development. This being the case, the developer's subscription is just part of the cost of doing business, in no wise different from me having to license Photoshop, Max2012, and a Baker's Dozen other useful development tools.

All that said though, for freeware developers the P3Dv1.4 and v2.4 SDKs are totally free, and at this point in time nearly everything developed for FSX+Acceleration is pretty much guaranteed to work in P3Dv1.4 and v2.4.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar

First class simulations now sells a product through Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/342000/
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

By the way: After having fixed a nasty, recurring g3d.dll crash*, I'm quite enjoying FSXSE. It's really faster and smoother** than the "old" FSX.

*If you get one of these, it's caused by an inacessible, i.e. corrupted model or texture somewhere.
    **With a suitable flavor of the BufferPools tweak.

Well, I don't need 2 licenses since I fly solo here. And I'm not doing payware. But the license doesn't seem to discern between payware and freeware.
    Don't mistake P3D to be a home desktop flight simulator ala MSFS, its a professional software application for professional application from military applications to the certified flight training simulators . Freeware does not exist in this business which is why it is not really catered for.

But as mentioned already the SDK's are already there for any home flight sim enthusiast to have a play with and at the moment much of it is similar to the FSX SDK with some limitations totally removed due to the nature of the P3D platform.

thanks,
    Lewis

So at the risk of being laughed out of the room.....

I'm wondering if the optimized coding in FSX-SE would be of any benefit to us MS XP 32 bit OS users? I guess we are all looking for extra FPS, where ever / how ever we can get it.

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

Not laughing Tommy, but you REALLY should get rid of that old XP stuff ;-)
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

The second DLC announced:

I think DTG plans are a little different from ours ....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10896365_1544849729100610_1872668641653522952_o.jpg  
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

Hat's off to FCS for jumping on the bandwagon early though they do seem an odd choice. Few of their models shine a light toward anything 'current' although the Lancaster and Wellington remain 'best of breed'. I wish to goodness they'd re-visit the Sunderland.. the 'iron clad' textures are just too much.. even in a sale!

ATB
    DaveB

Members who have read this thread: 3