Time for a new computer. Need some advice.

Thread: Time for a new computer. Need some advice.

Time for a new computer. Need some advice.

I put together my current I7 based system so long ago I forget how old it is but I7s were the latest greatest. Has I7,2.4 ghz, Vista 64,4 gigs ,660 TI vid card. No issues but I have every addon known to man and the sytems is really showing its age.Its time to treat myself and I am considering getting Falconnorthwest to build me one.
    First off is SSD night/day running FSX? I am considering a 2 gig one.
    Here is the build sheet.

Blog Entries
    To be honest you can build it yourself for less, but if you can afford it...it's nice system setup!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

As Ted says, build it yourself.
    The current 'performance box' I'm building for people is based on good quality and flexibility.

The latest offerings are not what I would use right now, I just never ever buy the first model of anything.

CHIP: i7-4790K Quad Core
    MoBo: ASUS Sabretooth Z97 Mk.I LGA1150
    PSU: Corsair TX750M Bronze
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 280L Ki
    Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX970 Superclocked ACX2.0 4GB (x2 in SLI Optional)

OS HD: Samsung SSD 840EVO 500GB
    FSX HD: Samsung SSD 840EVO 500GB or Samsung SSD 840EVO 1TB
    Backup HD: WD RED 2TB SATA III
    Optical Drive: LG CH12NS30 BLU-RAY
    RAM: G.Skill RipjawsZ 32GB PC3-19200 DDR3
    CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN Define RF4 Black Pearl ATX

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Nice looking system Wombat, although I would opt for Gigabyte over Asus. (Asus stiffed me for a money back rebate on a Nvidea card so I have the huff with them at the moment)
    I agree Z99 are so new they are overpriced at the moment plus DDR4 memory is a ta premium to for a while yet. I would wait a while myself unless it is a must have. Plus it is a doddle to build a PC yourself. Go on give it a try. You will learn a lot and save a bunch.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

I really like the Sabretooth boards Naismith, all the systems I've built with them are rock solid and IMHO the layout of the board is great.
    The specs I've listed are the starting point for people who ask me to build a decent rig, I'll compromise on Graphics Card and RAM if needed, but if they don't like the MoBo, the case or the CPU Cooler then I dismiss them.
    As for all the new kit, it's way overpriced and I'll lay even money it will be far more affordable in 6 months time, and probably more refined.
    I will admit to testing a few new items on my 'next' box but I'm playing the conservative card right now.
    When I loaded up the dual GTX690 system in our new residence I had to ante up for an extra Air Conditioner to keep me and the Box comfortable ............ I do feel the heat these days but dealing with that 40C exhaust was not on!!
    Overclocking that poor little i7 377K to just on 4.6Ghz probably didn't help either.

Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

If it were me, I think I'd trade half of that 32GB of RAM for a faster CPU, especially if overclocking is not possible.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I was one of those must stay on the current latest and greatest kinda guys since Microprose F19. I agree and learned the hard way on buying the first Gen of anything including software. Also the waiting another 3-6 months and it will be cheaper has always been the case.
    But yeah I will take stability and support over speed any day especially with a crash prone FSX which is why I am asking.
    So for FSX put the money into the processor and good ram seems to have always been the rule. The only real unknown are I know nothing about SSD and Windows 8 pertaining to FSX. I do not run multiple monitors or extreme res so the card does not have to be 4 gig and breath fire. I use a LED 34 inch TV.
    I am not committed to Falconnorthwest and never bought a custom high end rig from them or anyone for that matter so I am very much open to ideas but I do not feel like putting one together. So any other alternatives,builders etc feel free to let me know.

Blog Entries
    Wombat is right about the Sabretooth...I have built many with that board and they are ultra dependable though not quite as fast as the ASUS X99. However you hare not going to overclock so OC speed is not quite as important. At some point you might learn overclocking, it is very safe and the Sabretooth is a decent overclocker. FSX, P3D and X-Plane is awesome at 4Ghz speeds. You mentioned you built one before I assume you did the build. If that is true you could do this one for a lot less money and still get the latest HOT thing off the shelf. Let us know if we can help in any way.
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

I ran through their build options and it seems mostly high end.
    And to me, not a lot of choice when it comes to manufacturers either.
    Take on board the various suggestions made here and perhaps make up a list of what looks good to you, then shop around to see if you can find a pro builder who will build to YOUR requirements.
    Re the question on the SSD option, do try and go for a pair of 500GB drives, OS on one, FSX on the other.
    You might get away with a 250GB drive for your OS but the larger drive gives you a little extra wriggle room, alternately a 2TB HD (under A$100.00 for example) in conjunction with the smaller SSD is a nice big backup option.
    FSX really needs CPU power and the i7-4790K Quad Core runs 4G out of the box.
    Actually, rolling your own is not that difficult and is very satisfying, but maybe not for everyone.

Right now I'm attempting to sort out a freaking Acer laptop and Windows 8 abomination for an older friend of mine.
    Now that is real PITA!
    He'll be delighted if I can clear everything out of the bloody thing and just install a basic W7 system ...........

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    If it were me, I think I'd trade half of that 32GB of RAM for a faster CPU, especially if overclocking is not possible.
    Just what I was going to add. 16 gigs is plenty..

I would also spend a few more bucks and make the DVDRW drive a 24X , not a 16X

Members who have read this thread: 0