UVW Mapping in Gmax tutorial series
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UVW Mapping in Gmax tutorial series

UVW Mapping in Gmax tutorial series

There's a new tutorial series on UVW mapping in Gmax on FSDeveloper. (and if the library accepted bigger files I'd have it up here too...!)

In six parts, this tutorial series aims to get the beginning mapper going. Starts with the basics, introduces LithUnwrap for making templates and goes on to cover use of the UVW editor, mapping multiple objects simultaneously, use of material IDs to colour-code selections and grids for custom views. Making good use of texture space, distorting objects to simplify mapping and problems encountered are also covered.

The series is aimed at both aircraft and scenery builders. Building, aircraft and virtual cockpit examples are used.

Sample meshes and texture files are included together with the Quake III plugin, LithUnwrap and the Harlequin gmax source used in the tutorials. You also get to see a little of Milton Shupe's XA-38 Grizzly mesh (used with permission)!

I've tried not to repeat myself through the series, so if you're struggling with part 3 (for example) best to read parts 1 and 2 first.

You'll find the tutorials, resources and samples linked from the tutorial's Wiki page
    Last edited by hairyspin; October 8th, 2017 at 12:30.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

You may want to tell them something is broke.

I get

FSDeveloper - Error.
    The requested page could not be found.

when clicking on the links.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

My bad

Should be working now...
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

We will make this a sticky. :-) Thank you Sir for an awesome contribution.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

It's been quite some time since I've thought about my models. Tom, Milton, you sensed my frustrations.
    I was having a real hard time grasping hold of the process. I will definitely look into it.

My problem, it's poly normal.

Tom, thanks for your time. It's much appreciated.

Once you've mapped all sides of the model, and are viewing them with UVW Edit, can the individual maps be moved? (to conserve space on the doc.)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.JPG  
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.

Drag across the object's vertices until they turn red. With the 4 headed arrow button active, drag one of the vertices to move the entire object.

There are more options too, which you'll discover further on in the tutorial series.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tgibson View Post
    Drag across the object's vertices until they turn red. With the 4 headed arrow button active, drag one of the vertices to move the entire object.
    Good News. Thanks.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.

'Getting closer, but...

Sorry the type is so small. I tried several times to bring in a bigger graphic, but it squinches it every time.
    Under the 1st illustration it says:

(1) After mapping all four sides and top, should one be able to see the model in Perspective view with all the polys selected?

(2) Or, is it OK to let the polys go unselected as one moves on to the other views?

(3) If the former, I have a problem with polys unselecting themselves. ( see the blue arrows) After mapping all five sides, and applying Unwrap UVW>Edit Mesh>Unwrap UVW>Edit, I got the following. (Illustration A.)

Reading forward into the LithUnwrap section, I concluded that I had unselected polys. I reviewed each side's view, and, holding down the Control Key, made sure they were selected. Then I deleted Unwrap UVW>Edit Mesh>Unwrap UVW from the Stack and applied them again. When I clicked 'Edit", I got Illustration B. The screwy lines were gone, but still only one view.

I feel that I'm close on this, but somethings still awry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SOH MAPPING QUESTION.jpg  
    Last edited by Hauksbee; February 19th, 2015 at 17:46. Reason: Graphic is too small, type unreadable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hauksbee View Post
    (1) After mapping all four sides and top, should one be able to see the model in Perspective view with all the polys selected?
    No, only the last set of polys mapped would still be selected.

(2) Or, is it OK to let the polys go unselected as one moves on to the other views?
    Yes, that is required. Otherwise you're re-mapping polys up to four times! Look again at the screenshots in the tutorial and pay attention to the Perspective viewport: for each side, only that side's polys are selected (red colour).

...After mapping all five sides, and applying Unwrap UVW>Edit Mesh>Unwrap UVW>Edit, I got the following...
    I have often regretted that screenshot: having mapped all five sides, just apply Edit Mesh>Unwrap UVW and then Edit. I was trying to show how simply applying an Unwrap would not show the mappings of the entire object.

For screenshots I usually use an image hosting site and paste a direct link to the picture required into the post. If you don't let SOH store your pictures locally they get shown at or near full size.
    Tom

Progress...of a sort

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    For screenshots I usually use an image hosting site and paste a direct link to the picture required into the post. If you don't let SOH store your pictures locally they get shown at or near full size.
    Now I get one end and the roof. I've gotten pretty fast at selecting the view, then the Gizmo, aligning to view, positioning the model in the Gizmo box, and selecting polys. Tonight I got the roof to show. Something's gumming the works.

Can I upload images to My Gallery here in SOH and link them to posts?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UVW UNWRAP_02.jpg  

I'll bet you're selecting polys by dragging a selection over them, but without ticking Ignore Backfacing...
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    I'll bet you're selecting polys by dragging a selection over them, but without ticking Ignore Backfacing...
    Actually, I'm selecting them one-by-one, but have not ticked 'Ignore Backfacing". I take care of that forthwith. Thanks.

Actually, I'm selecting them one-by-one, but have not ticked 'Ignore Backfacing". I'll take care of that forthwith. Thanks.
    Getting discouraged. I ticked 'Ignore Backfacing' and tried repeatedly. I still get only one end view and the top. I can get them to appear in slightly different places within the Gizmo square, but that's it. One question cropped up tho': I have a Poly Select Modifier in the stack. Every time I change the view, align and position the model, I click on that modifier again. Should I be adding a new Poly Select Modifier for each view?

edit: 'Was just perusing "The Gmax Handbook" texturing section. If I have it right, one needs a new Poly Select and a new UVW Map Modifier for each view. Is that right?

Also, they are using 'Mesh Select'. Can it be done both ways?
    Last edited by Hauksbee; February 21st, 2015 at 22:17.

Yes, a new Poly Select/UVW Mapping modifier pair for each view. You can use Mesh Select instead of Poly, the end result will be the same.
    Tom

Why do I get this:-

SOH Message

SOH Message

No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

If I open the message in a new TAB in IE11. But if I just click on the link it opens fine. It also opens OK in Google Chrome. Bizarre!
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Thanks all (Hairyspin) for all your help. I finally cleared the hurdle on mapping. (see map) Now I can get down to the actual models. The first model is a brick wall. The wall and grey foundation are each one whole piece. But the top of the wall is made up of flat concrete tiles (about 12 here) and the wall has four brick support posts.

My question is: if I make one brick post, map and texture it, when I clone it, does the map/texture go along with the clone? Or must each be done separately?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.JPG  

Can objects (buildings and terrain) built in SketchUp be imported into video games? (specifically CFS3?)

My question is: if I make one brick post, map and texture it, when I clone it, does the map/texture go along with the clone? Or must each be done separately?
    The texture maping will be kept with the cloned object as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    The texture maping will be kept with the cloned object as well.
    That's good news. Anyone have any knowledge on SketchUp?

Sketchup is easy to learn and use, but anything for CFS3 has to go through Gmax for exporting to the sim. Best to stick with Gmax, I think.
    Tom

After some looking around it looks like you can use SketchUp to save a .KMZ. Model Converter X can load .KMZ files. Use Model Converter X to save a .3ds that can be loaded into gMax.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    After some looking around it looks like you can use SketchUp to save a .KMZ. Model Converter X can load .KMZ files. Use Model Converter X to save a .3ds that can be loaded into gMax.
    Much appreciated, guys. Thanks.

I've gotten as far as LithUnwrap. When I try to open the model, I don't get the Quake III Import window. Where did the map get saved to?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LITHUNWRAP....JPG  

Members who have read this thread: 3