OK, so I jumped into the FSX repaint world and have quickly discovered how lacking I am!

Can someone point me to a good FSX repainting tutorial at the moderate to advance level that addresses bump maps and alpha channel application, et al?

Also have a question re bump maps. Can a bump map be modified without altering the model file or any other such wizardry?
My point here is there are some FSX native models with bump maps that make the panel lines look 4 inches wide and 6 inches deep. In other words, they look like one of those metal match box models! I would like to modify this and make these features look more to scale (model and mfg shall remain nameless), great looking models with great detail except for the issues above, which I can't seem to get a handle on.

I've been experimenting and have come real close but I still end up with some weird issues, like pieces of new panel lines and rivets showing up in odd places on the model. Haven't quite figured out the alpha channel either.

As always, thanks for taking the time to read this and any and all help is appreciated.

Steve