Whats new in the US army

Thread: Whats new in the US army

Whats new in the US army

The Ipod touch thats what lol
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-sniper-rifle/
    listen to your mp3 as you line up the shot,use the software to check your shot,Take a photo and send back to HQ to verify the shot
    Cheers
    Wozza
    The source code for Vista may very well be the longest suicide note in history

Wow! What application will they come up with next for the IPhone/IPod/ITouch? Personally, I'm holding out for FS() on the IPod. J/K

Got two questions: Shouldn't the spotter be doing the ballistic calculation? And does that also come with a 'mod' to attach it to the other side of the weapon for righties?

Ray

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Quote Originally Posted by rayrey10 View Post
    Got two questions: Shouldn't the spotter be doing the ballistic calculation? And does that also come with a 'mod' to attach it to the other side of the weapon for righties?

Ray
    Ray,

They dont have FS for it, but they do have X-Plane 9. :d

<-- still cant believe all the things this little iPod can do... How on earth can they fit all those technologies into something the thickness of cardboard? How???

PS; Over 1500 Apps available so far.... (1500 or 15,000).

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post

<-- still cant believe all the things this little iPod can do... How on earth can they fit all those technologies into something the thickness of cardboard? How???

especially remarkable when you consider that less than 30 years ago, the pocket calculator was not something common to every household, and digital clock radios displayed the numbers on cards like a rolodex.

One of my comrades (now retired) has a wrist watch that would calculate trajectory and windage.

Interesting how technology has grown. When I got my first calculator (circa 1975) I used to hand check my calculator's answers and now I use the calculator to confirm my manual solutions.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    Ray,

They dont have FS for it, but they do have X-Plane 9. :d

PS; Over 1500 Apps available so far.... (1500 or 15,000).

Bill
    Yeah I know Bill it was a joke ...I couldn't remember the name of Mac's flight sim. Thanks! Like you said I am amazed at the possibilities of these 'IPods', and that ITouch is a very neat little gadget. My son has one and I wish I had bought that instead of a new Nano last month.

Quote Originally Posted by cheezyflier View Post
    especially remarkable when you consider that less than 30 years ago, the pocket calculator was not something common to every household, and digital clock radios displayed the numbers on cards like a rolodex.
    I remember when I was a kid my Dad taught me to use a slide rule. I was like "you know they have this thingy called a calculator, right?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jagdflieger View Post
    ...When I got my first calculator (circa 1975) I used to hand check my calculator's answers and now I use the calculator to confirm my manual solutions.
    My Dad did the same thing when he first started using his Packard Bell (I think it was a Packard bell) calculator. He would go back and check all of the calculators answers.

Cool

Call me a Ludite if you must but I tend to look at this and think 'Another bloody thing to go wrong!' .................:wave:
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Or for the batteries to go dead at the wrong moment.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Or for the batteries to go dead at the wrong moment.
    Good point

A useless piece of electronic garbage to break or fail in the heat of battle. Couple other problems, that contraption sticking so far out to the right will add to the silhouette of the weapon making it and the sniper more at risk of being detected(unnatural shapes even camo covered are very noticeable) and also 95% of sniper grade glass(scopes) are equipped with Mil-Dots anyway which once learned in proper use are a very easy way to range a target and with known ammo/weapon data you can easily turn in your come-ups and windage. A Mil-Dot Master system performs all the same basic functions of that iPod gadget at a few dollars per copy and very effective. The other issue is you don't want to have the need to keep taking your eye out of the scope picture to look at the data system to the side of the weapon. You need to maintain cheekweld and let your spotter range you. If there is no spotter, is better to glance down at the Mil-Dot Master & Range Card while maintaining cheek weld.

BTW, the M-110 is a fine rifle made by Knights Armament Co. I have seen one up close but have not fired one as of yet. I have however qualified with the Mk11 which is very similar to the M-110 and made by Knights as well. They are known as the "1 Hole Autoloader" as they are extremely accurate weapons for being Semi-Autos. In fact, as accurate as the M-24 and M-40's.

Here are a couple of photos of my Sniper/DMR tools from my personal kit including a Mil-Dot Master.

Attachment 72373

Attachment 72374
    "Soon to be Expat"

Members who have read this thread: 0