A century of commercial flight

Thread: A century of commercial flight

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Blog Entries
    that was here in st Petersburg fl today, I watched it live on tv
    Look What I Have Become!

Wow! $400 for a 23 minute flight back in 1914! That's the equivalent of over $9,000 today! If pilots could get that sort of price for a half hour flight nowadays, I'd quit my day job immediately! LOL!!!

Today, you could possibly spend less than $400 for a flight across the US continent!

Ken

Definitely a perk for the more privileged, but St. Pete was for those types back then. It and Tampa both were big vacation get away for the moneyed from up North. Given that a trip from St. Pete to Tampa would likely take you most of the day -- one way (there being no bridges then), I could see it being a decent business. WWI destroyed it though, and Jannus was killed in a training accident while an instructor.

Kermit talked about this event at our EAA Chapter a few months ago. He was really very concerned about meeting the deadline. At that time it was the FAA he was most concerned about, however they ultimately were not the issue. Technical problems with the A/C prevented its use yesterday.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Interesting read today from another source, describing where the original aircraft came from, and where another replica is now on display - Duluth Wisconsin...
    http://duluthaviationinstitute.org/

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    Interesting read today from another source, describing where the original aircraft came from, and where another replica is now on display - Duluth Wisconsin...
    http://duluthaviationinstitute.org/
    I believe that is Duluth, Minnesota.

Yeah.. that other frozen place

which probably leads to another thought.. even airplanes headed south in the winter back in 1914

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    Yeah.. that other frozen place

which probably leads to another thought.. even airplanes headed south in the winter back in 1914
    That's the one.

We were visiting north of Duluth in October...and it snowed.

Superior, on the other side of the harbor has the Bong Museum.

Members who have read this thread: 31