Update on the Douglas A2D-1 Sky Shark

Thread: Update on the Douglas A2D-1 Sky Shark

Update on the Douglas A2D-1 Sky Shark

Work continues on the Sky Shark albeit at a slow pace. As I stated a few weeks ago, this will be my last FSDS model. I am using over half the time I allocate to design to learn the ins and outs of Gmax. I have finally got Dietmar Loleit's ARS4 radar installed and working in both a panel and the VC. (See pic below) This took some doing since adding this gauge to the panel .cfg and manipulating with FS Panel Studio would cause that program to immediately crash. Finally developed a work around which I will describe in the Sky Shark readme. The exterior is 95% done just need to add some specular shine and the interior is well along.

Best, Paul

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a2d runway.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	166.5 KB 
ID:	1552Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a2d_folded.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	1553Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a2d_flight.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	1554Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a2d_VC.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	1555

Looking very good!

Could be fun to see it in the USAF SEA-scheme as well! If they had worked out the problems with this design it could have been one hell of a CAS/Sandy platform for the USAF.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Blog Entries

I wonder....

Is this model a great improvement on Ito's opus?
    or is this something like... re-inventing the wheel?....
    As far as the external appearance it does seem a bit, let's say... not up to par with Ito's... which is really a good one...

I might be way off base... but it seems like the old Ito model pretty much set up a benchmark..... Sort of... "if it ain't broke don't fix it kind of thing..."
    I am enclosing this pic of what can be done with Ito's model by just a little bit of artistry in the painting... [mine] which brings me to the crux of my comment... wouldn't time be better spent on more
    worthwhile projects like a plane that has NOT been done yet?.... (unless, of course, one can improve it... or, in this case, if possible... improve Ito's with added items like a decent 2D or VC cockpit, etc.

That is the privilege of the designer to make exactly what he wants to do. Then it is YOUR decision if you would like to fly it in fs or not.

I think we have had this discussion far to many times her on the soh, we should ecourage any freeware designer to keep on building exactly what he/she wants to do. As far as freeware goes, we should simply be happy for every model and repaint we get.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    That is the privilege of the designer to make exactly what he wants to do. Then it is YOUR decision if you would like to fly it in fs or not.

I think we have had this discussion far to many times her on the soh, we should ecourage any freeware designer to keep on building exactly what he/she wants to do. As far as freeware goes, we should simply be happy for every model and repaint we get.
    +1!

Could not have said it better myself.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    +1. And more to Paul's credit, he's making the effort to learn Gmax for future projects: not the easiest to learn, but it amply rewards the effort as many have found.

More power to your polys, Paul!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Another vote for Paul! I enjoy his work.

Quote Originally Posted by gaucho_59 View Post
    Is this model a great improvement on Ito's opus?
    or is this something like... re-inventing the wheel?....
    As far as the external appearance it does seem a bit, let's say... not up to par with Ito's... which is really a good one...

I might be way off base... but it seems like the old Ito model pretty much set up a benchmark..... Sort of... "if it ain't broke don't fix it kind of thing..."
    I am enclosing this pic of what can be done with Ito's model by just a little bit of artistry in the painting... [mine] which brings me to the crux of my comment... wouldn't time be better spent on more
    worthwhile projects like a plane that has NOT been done yet?.... (unless, of course, one can improve it... or, in this case, if possible... improve Ito's with added items like a decent 2D or VC cockpit, etc.
    Gaucho,I fail to see any point to your post except trolling. Paul at 81 is entitled to make whatever he wants and allows us to view his wips. I would have thought that you at 75 might be mature and experienced enough to see that but evidently not.
    Please engage computer no.1 before opening mouth in future.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Blog Entries

Sloooooooooooooow down cowboys!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Gaucho,I fail to see any point to your post except trolling. Paul at 81 is entitled to make whatever he wants and allows us to view his wips. I would have thought that you at 75 might be mature and experienced enough to see that but evidently not.
    Please engage computer no.1 before opening mouth in future.
    I am not 81... but close... 76! and think I have a right to an opinion... A thousand pardons for expressing it!
    I thought I fought for this country in two wars (23 years of service) to defend the idea that everyone has an opinion and a right to express it!!!!!!!
    [edited for insulting language]

Evidently a little rest is required from SOH gaucho. This will be arranged shortly.

Paul, I'm sorry this had to happen in your update thread. Please start a new one when you are ready.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Members who have read this thread: 91