December 7

Thread: December 7

December 7

It is a day for respectful rememberance.

My cousin Franklin Van Valkenberg woke that morning on his ship, and went to early chow and then to the flag raising as was his usual routine on such mornings, some were ashore on leave and it was a clear sunny day in Pearl. He then went to the bridge and was there when strange air craft were sighted and he sounded an early alarm and call for All Hands to man battle stations, he was one of the first to so command his crew to prepare.

He loved his command and it was the pinnacle of a long dedicated naval career and he had encouraged his son also to enter the service. Both were dedicated naval men and loved the service and the sea.

The events of the next few minutes I am sure seemed like hours and yet were over very fast. All efforts to fight the ship and to get underway to move into the main channel were to no avail for powder had been stored in the forward magazine for the signal gun that was un secured and it was detonated by a large bomb that fell almost exactly in the right/wrong place and the magazine detonated and took with it the ship. The ship was the BB 39, and she remains largely in location and he remains at his post tho divers did recover his sword for the family which we still have from his day cabin not too far from the bridge.

His son served aboard the DD named for his father, and served a long career. We always remember him on this day, and the others who so served and many who remain at their posts or in the memorial graveyards there and in the US.

http://gonebutnotforgotten.homestead...lkenburgh.html

The Japanese had goals and aims for their destiny as did any nation and I have come to respect and admire their culture and in fact work a lot with people form Japan in some of my current work and have the highest regard for them as a nation, one of the finest and most civilized modern cultures. that war was unfortunate and a clash in both economic terms as well as military, and the events of that early stage of the war were unfortunate. In my research and life of study of naval history and matters, I have learned that the Japanese did indeed intend to have a surprise but not a undeclared one. The official declaration of war was supposed to be delivered in advance of the actual attack, but the two highest ranking officials in the Japanese embassy in Washington DC were career men and insisted on doing the decoding of the message and the typing of the Declaration themselves and refused the help of the trained staff and delayed the delivery of the Declaration by quite a bit of time. It was an unfortunate event and had serious and grave results. It caused a lot of hate and rancor that was a sad aspect of that war. War is never a kind thing or an easy one and the last resort for civilized nations.

Both sides served with honour for that one, and much effort was given and much loss incurred. For now, all these years later, we can and should honour the memory of those who served and who gave their lives at the outset of that four years of trial and tragedy.

Happily all these years later, Japan is a much transformed nation and a good and strong ally of the US and we of them. Our nation is also transformed and not all to the better but regardless of that, I am proud to have these memories and to see others remember all these years later.
    Last edited by CrisGer; December 7th, 2013 at 12:46.
    Beached Admiral Naval Wargame Society 1978
    Admin
    3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin
    Tester of Ships: Sea Trials and Consults

Icon22 Reply...

CrisGer,

Thank you for reminding us to remember this day, many are so busy during this time of year it goes by without a thought!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Thanks Rami. It was a matter of pride back then to serve, and many did so many...with so much dedication and without a thought of doubt. My Grandfather served in the USN in both wars, skipper of a old four piper in the WWI, chasing german raiders in the Pacific and Convoy commodore in the WWII in the Pacific, while one of my uncles was the cook on an LST all over the pacific, my uncle Mort flew with Pappy Boyington and survived the war, and my cousin Gerry was in the SeaBees and worked clearing up ordinance at captured Japanese bases, and also survive it all, including most of the landings, My father didnt do as well at D Day he made it thru alive but still has inner wounds from it all. I have held Captain Van Valkenberg's sword in my hands it is bent and twisted but his memory is still sharp and clear for us all in the family and we never forget him and all the others, nor will we.

It was a matter of course when growing up to hear stories from all of them about the war and the memories are clear but I know time moves on and the current political environment of our country does not give much support to our military. I always will and will never forget.
    Admin

Thank you CG.

God Bless America. That was a terrible event that effected all the World. God bless does that lost their lives in that war to protect our freedom.

Fidenza, Northern Italy, 65 miles south of Milano
    CrisG,

I didn't know your cousin was the Commander of the U.S.S. Arizona. Year after year, every Dec. 7th must surely be a very special recurrence for your family.

I downloaded all of the downloadable WWII documentaries from YouTube about the "Day of Infamy", so I know a lot of what happened on that fatal day, how and where the U.S.S. Arizona was hit.

One of my hidden wishes is to go on vacation some day to the Hawaii, visit Pearl Harbour and pay homage to the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial. One of my best friends from Venice served his draft period in the Italian Navy in 1980. He was lucky enough that his ship, the frigate Lupo (Wolf) F564, went on a world cruise while he was serving and they moored at Pearl Harbour on a courtesy visit. He told me that he was commanded a honour watch, sharing it with his US Navy colleagues, to the Arizona Memorial.
    He was very glad to comply and, to this day, when he recalls it, I get the goose pimples. I hope to be able to make my dream come true before I get too old to travel.

I honour the memory of all of the victims of WWII, soldiers and civilians alike.

Thank you, CrisG for sharing it.
    KH
    My wee mods here at the Outhouse:

FileUploadName=kelticheart

thank you yes it is a memory that we honour. It seems not that long ago and growing up hearing stories of the war from family made it very real.

Here is a home video of victory day in Honolulu on Hotel Street, which vets may recognize the name of...it was nice to see the real actual people who fought that war, a touching moment in time now lost but preserved in memory as are all of these events.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=CZ85j6U2Fvs
    Admin