new field for us.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new field for us.

new field for us.

I think that we have a new field in the free modeling.
    Like us , there are a lot of people that likes to make any models, from a simple chair to a aircraft carrier.
    I´m talking about 3Ds , obj, Quake III , gmax etc, etc modelers.
    Thanks to gmax and other tools we can convert these models to our sim.
    There is a lot of site with thousands of free models.

The tools needed for these conversions are:

ModelconverterX
    Gmax
    Modelcomander
    SDK
    3Dexploration.

I´m showing for example this very nice Tiger tank (original 3Ds max model) converted to cfs2

Icon14

It takes some work but nothing compared to start from 0!

There are also buildings , weapons, cars , trains .....

It is just one site.. http://tf3dm.com/

cheers
    Mario

BTW ... I´ll be plesure to help step by step to learn do this process .

Even more...

Thank you for the new site misson. I'll look through it shortly.

In case you were not aware, there are more then that.

Google Sketchup has a ton of free models. Some are very good. Others... not so much. I just finished a model which I convered from a Google sketchup model. I hope to wrap it up and post it soon.

Delftship is another one. Its a free CAD for ship building. I have a model that I converted. Its of the HMS Tiger. This is an outstanding model that I hope to finish someday. Sadly Lindsay was helping me learn Gmax with it and we never finished the textures for it. I'll get to it again at some point. I sent Stuart a copy to look at.

So far any .dae model that I've tried can be converted with ModelConvertX into a 3ds. This is how I did the sketchup model.

.dxf can also be converted but you need a different program and not all models convert the same in this format. I think FSDS can import .dxf directly. Don't quote me on that.

Now they all need alot of work to get them ready for CFS2 (or any of the MS Sims).

Like you said misson. Its better then starting with nothing.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Hey misson,

Creating a tank Sim? I like it.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

well thats pretty cool,,,,thing is..at best thats a Panzerkampfwagen IV,panther was "V" and the tiger was "VI"..............

WWI Field Gun...

Here is that Sketchup Model...

Its rather basic overall. I gave it textures and made a destructable model.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FG-1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	1041Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FG-2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	1040Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FG-D.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	1039

The last pic is also showing my 50lb Coopers.

I had to do some work in Gmax to get the end results. I think its a nice simple model to represent a WWI Field Gun. Its simular to early French, German, and British 130mm-155mm guns.

Great post misson.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Hawk23 View Post
    Hey misson,

Creating a tank Sim? I like it.
    haha! me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    well thats pretty cool,,,,thing is..at best thats a Panzerkampfwagen IV,panther was "V" and the tiger was "VI"..............
    When I´ve downloaded the model , that was the name. I dont know much about tanks!! thank u
    cheers
    Mario

Quote Originally Posted by misson View Post
    When I´ve downloaded the model , that was the name. I dont know much about tanks!! thank u
    cheers
    Mario

lol..im kinda anal about my tanks....i just fake it when it comes to knowledge of airplanes...but it looks very cool..im an FSX'r but it caught my attention enough to make me look at it...keep up the good battle!!! Dave

Yes CFS2 may work as Tank sim with some work. Also maybe some PT boat missions. I once messed around with Hubbabubba CFS1 jeep in CFS2. You can use a Area and Event triggers to make an area when entered by the player the game will end the mission.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    lol..im kinda anal about my tanks....i just fake it when it comes to knowledge of airplanes...but it looks very cool..im an FSX'r but it caught my attention enough to make me look at it...keep up the good battle!!! Dave
    Hey Daveroo, and this?

Hey Daveroo, and this?
    another pic:

Some messing around of my own with a edit for the stock M4A3.

Attachment 1101

Attachment 1102

Attachment 1103

M4A3_SHERMAN_&_mission.zip

EDIT: I have no idea WTF is going on but post screen shots have go to crap.... Can we roll back to the 6 year old set up that was in use a few days ago that had working images?
    Last edited by Allen; December 5th, 2013 at 17:37.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Some messing around of my own with a edit for the stock M4A3.

Attachment 1101

Attachment 1102

Attachment 1103

M4A3_SHERMAN_&_mission.zip

EDIT: I have no idea WTF is going on but post screen shots have go to crap.... Can we roll back to the 6 year old set up that was in use a few days ago that had working images?
    hey allen! I 'm thinking in a new multiplayer session!

hey allen! I 'm thinking in a new multiplayer session!
    well beware.

jagdpanzer V is on the way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jagdpanzer V.bmp 
Views:	21 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	1124

once i get it to export that is.

Wow

This seems like an interesting thread. Well Misson, this time you really found a Tiger - an early mk E it seems. Since we already drive around our airfields in jeeps, I certainly feel sure that all the geniusses out there can make a tank simulator out of CFS-2 too. I hope Bill Gates will not kill this gem (just got a Win 8 'puter, so U all know what I mean) Please, please continue this fantastic work.
    Finn

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This seems like an interesting thread. Well Misson, this time you really found a Tiger - an early mk E it seems. Since we already drive around our airfields in jeeps, I certainly feel sure that all the geniusses out there can make a tank simulator out of CFS-2 too. I hope Bill Gates will not kill this gem (just got a Win 8 'puter, so U all know what I mean) Please, please continue this fantastic work.
    Finn
    I'm looking to do a couple British tanks.

To bad we can't make the turret traverse and fire from its position. Oh well... Mabe if we linked it to the rudder. Hummm... still wouldn't fire from that position. unless we made the turret the main body and the hull linked to the rudder some other control surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Hawk23 View Post
    I'm looking to do a couple British tanks.

To bad we can't make the turret traverse and fire from its position. Oh well... Mabe if we linked it to the rudder. Hummm... still wouldn't fire from that position. unless we made the turret the main body and the hull linked to the rudder some other control surface.
    Dosen't work. The game only move the model and the view dosn't move with it saddly. With my tank attached above I have about 3 degrees turret traverse up or down.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Dosen't work. The game only move the model and the view dosn't move with it saddly. With my tank attached above I have about 3 degrees turret traverse up or down.
    could you make the barrel move inplace of the elevators. now this wouldn't effect the DP but we would get movement.

oh well... just thinking is all...

ok guys!

the point of this thread (when i´ve started it) was , that we have available a tons of free models for use in our sim.

It took only 5 minutes to download a 3d max model ,import it with gmax , crop a texture (made it early) and compiled it as fs2004 model. then convert it with mk-mdlc (my cfs2 compiller model comander doesnt work, i dont know reason why).
    We can add to them animations if we need, but with some hours of work.
    just think in all models posibilities.

cheers
    Mario

Blood Hawk

The prob is in order to get movement up or down using the elevator I've had to really mess around with the elevator setting in the .air file and that has an odd effect on animations. As you can see when I use elevator down the gun is aimed up and up over 90 degrees do to changes made in the .air file.

Attachment 1143

misson

I can get the stock CFS2 tanks out of the .bgl by use of Model Converter X. I've also had some luck getting the CFS1 tanks out of the CFS1 library.bgl (I can't seem to use the CFS2 scenery_cfs_library.bgl that has the CFS1 objects to work) but they are well not the best looking.

Attachment 1144

Lightbulb

I've thought also to use some sfx jets or 3d max jets, without work on the model, i can live without gear amimations. Or for AI use.

Question WWII planes?

some planes unknown for me!

Known planes

The first one is a Short-Mayo combo-plane of 1938. It was a project for Imperial Airways to create a post plane for atlantic traffic. The big flying boat was supposed to lift the smaller plane up into flying height, release it and then it would have the range to fly across the Atlantic by itself.
    The second plane is more difficult, but it could be a Yak 17 - an experimental fighter where the russians placed a jet engine in the nose of a conventional piston engined fighter, their first jet fighter, I think.
    The last one is an Ohka, (cherry blossom) suicidal bomb - a rocket driven plane with a one-ton warhead in the nose. Called "Baka" by the allied (japanese for Fools plane)
    Finn

Geting aircraft into CFS2 isn't too hard. Even basic gear up and gear down amimations isn't too hard. Problem is the polygon count is offten way to high for it to be used in CFS2 for any but Free Flight. Another problem is even if the polygon count is good to okay you will likely need to scrach make LODs so it could be used in large numbers in missions.

Doing LODs can be hard even more so if you have to do textue mapping to a complex texture(s) while other times it gets boring.
    Last edited by Allen; December 8th, 2013 at 18:20.

Members who have read this thread: 41