Struggling with settings

Thread: Struggling with settings

Struggling with settings

Could someone with a gtx580 or something please share their settings in nvidia inspector and in p3d?

I have tried everything under the sun for 2 days and about 8 hours and have nothing else I can do.

Cannot get P3d to match Fsx performance in terms of fps, look as nice, be as smooth even when trying progressively lower settings plus it stutters as well.

There must be some setting on my pc stuffing it up.

Just two tips, might be useless but you never know...
    - ensure your Transparency AA is disabled. Go for an easy AA first, like 8xSQ, or SUPERVCAA_64_4x12, something like that
    - two users on a French forums reported a strange issue: the FPS are low until you click on the screen or resize it.

Last bonus: your "bathymetry" option is disabled, right ?

Don't despair, there are plenty of posts over at avsim with people having fundamental issues ranging from a black screen bug (no display at all) to vsync tearing. Still some bugs to be ironed out it seems! LM is aware of many issues already and are investigating!

Cheers,
    Sascha

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    If those don't work, (great tips by the way), then you might try backing up the main sim config, delete the active one and let the sim rebuild the config back to basic, and if that is smooth, start going from there.

I take it you are tuning your GC from the custom GC Application instead of inside the sim itself?

Do you have the latest drivers? Remember, this is DX11. See if there are any updates. P3D Team worked hard with NVidia to get really nice working drivers. (My GC is a GTX660, but I am not tuning it via a custom App, only in the sim itself).

A way to track down what is hitting your system so hard is to have everything lowered (Default) and running smoothly, then start raising one setting, see if that drops the FPS, continue till it knocks down the sim in FPS and you have found your culprit, or at least one of them.

Shadows is a heavy one. I have mine at 50% quality on the slider. Another is AI traffic. They did get it to work better, but it still takes a hit on FPS.

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

SOH-CM-2014
    Kosta was on the Beta team. I am sure he will post some really good tips for running the sim smooth.

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

Pearl Harbor Project developer
    Yep I had problems when I moved to another airport....screen would go black...when I switched cameras the view would flash briefly then back to black. We are the foot soldiers and we together as a community will find the fixes. Will check out Avsim forums as well.
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/rtwr2013/rtwr2013_sm.png[/SIGPIC]

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by crashaz View Post
    Yep I had problems when I moved to another airport....screen would go black...when I switched cameras the view would flash briefly then back to black. We are the foot soldiers and we together as a community will find the fixes. Will check out Avsim forums as well.

Daid Bryce was telling me that it is due to a dual set of transparent materials being seen from the side (strobes and Nav lights on the wings) on the F22 Raptor. There are some issues with some materials, exspecially illuminated ones. Should be fixed soon with an update. I got that for the first time ever last night, flying over Edwards in the Raptor. Love that jet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    Daid Bryce was telling me that it is due to a dual set of transparent materials being seen from the side (strobes and Nav lights on the wings) on the F22 Raptor. There are some issues with some materials, exspecially illuminated ones. Should be fixed soon with an update. I got that for the first time ever last night, flying over Edwards in the Raptor. Love that jet.
    OK will start the sim in default Raptor/Norfork setting... Switch aircraft then switch to new airport....see if that gets around the issue....Arizona is a long way from Norfork lol!
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy

It isn't ready yet, thanks Sascha! - silly me, <hides bashfully in the corner>

I think I will have a cup of tea and put on my Eckhart Tolle MP3.

I waited until V2 thinking that by not getting the earlier versions I would be saving myself the hassle and time I just went through!

I tried starting with the start up screen like FSX and bang the screen is 100% black all the time.

I will wait until they fix it and someone posts how to do it - 8 hours back and forth has confirmed I cannot do it.

Back to FSX and keep in the holding pattern

For the record I tried the following combos
    A) Latest Nvdia Inspector
    - my normal FSX with Supervcaa_64_4x12
    - with one from Avsim reported to work well with P3D.
    - a whole heap of testing other settings - 8sq et al

B) CFG
    - Venetubo
    - Kosta
    - Mix
    - rebuilt it twice and tested thoroughly with none

C) in P3D
    - zero AI
    - progressively lower settings
    - shadows on/off etc

What I haven't tried yet
    - latest drivers - thanks Bill
    - clicking on screen/resizing - thanks Daube (yes submarine option was off)
    - transparency - oh Daube I haven't tried that thanks, I had multi off but super on 2 or 4 times (if 8sq or supervcaa respectively).

Edit - despite what Kosta thinks about external limiters I will give it a go since i use it on FSX successfully (forgot to test that).
    Last edited by P38man; November 26th, 2013 at 16:35.

I could finally test that sim and I confirm I am also suffering from the lack of FPS when I go into a menu and come back in the cockpit... until I click on the picture. Then the FPS jump instantly to high values again.

I spotted another, potentially VERY annoying issue.
    When I was in the cockpit of the plane, I switched the sim to fullscreen mode, with ALT+ENTER like FSX.
    That worked without issues.
    Then I left the sim.
    Then I launched it again, and launched a flight.
    I ended up with a black screen. The sim is running behind, I can hear the sounds reacting to my inputs, but I have no picture, just a black screen. Switching to windowed mode doesn't help, I just get the desktop, the P3D window is missing.

Solution: edit the P3D.cfg, change the "FullScreen" parameter value to "False", save, close, and launch the sim.

Advise: DO NOT EXIT THE SIM WHILE IN FULLSCREEN MODE. Switch to windowed first, then quit the sim.

Quote Originally Posted by crashaz View Post
    OK will start the sim in default Raptor/Norfork setting... Switch aircraft then switch to new airport....see if that gets around the issue....Arizona is a long way from Norfork lol!
    Yep that did it... switched the plane before switching locations...view fine.
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy

Wish i could get to the settings menu sim gets black screen and gets a fatal error have yet to fly cant set up controllers or anything. About to give up trash version2 and stick with fsx and 1.4 before i do anyone have any suggestions?

SOH-CM-2014
    I wouldn't give up that quick.

Did you try going into full screen mode to see if that helps?

Do you need to go into Setup Screen? It may have a bug with your type of graphics card. If so, bypass it by going directly to the various settings, like 'Select Vehicle (Aircraft), Weather Setup, Time,' etc. You can bypass the Scenario Setup screen.

I am sure an update will be out very soon for the menu issues.

Also please make sure your graphics card has the latest drivers. Nvidia has been working with P3D and should have some updates out.

Patience man. You wouldn't sell a plane you just bought because you cant start the engine, right? We'll get it working.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Agpilot25 View Post
    Wish i could get to the settings menu sim gets black screen and gets a fatal error have yet to fly cant set up controllers or anything. About to give up trash version2 and stick with fsx and 1.4 before i do anyone have any suggestions?
    Can you get to the default flight out of Norfolk first? If not then close the sim.
    Some troubleshooting still like FSX...

Go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2 and delete Prepar3D.CFG and then start the sim.

Does it get you to a screen you can see? Failing that...

Go back to the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Prepar3D.CFG and edit the file....

replace the

SHOW_SCENARIO_WINDOW=0

-with-

SHOW_SCENARIO_WINDOW=1

This will start you up with the Scenario Window... change the plane to something other than the Raptor... try the King Air hit OK...

think one of the above should get you in.
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy

Thanks for all the suggestions i am doing graphics card updates now i can get in just when ever i am on the runway and click on any of the menus for anything it gets a fatal error that says scenery.cfg,p3d.cfg, and kernalbase.dll

Quote Originally Posted by Agpilot25 View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions i am doing graphics card updates now i can get in just when ever i am on the runway and click on any of the menus for anything it gets a fatal error that says scenery.cfg,p3d.cfg, and kernalbase.dll
    How many monitors/ video cards you have?

Hmm here is something similar....
    http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?min...ewtopic&t=3869

I would check your windows error logs as well. Looks like blowing out the shader cache worked in the above thread.

Also check the FAQs
    http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?min...ewtopic&t=3920
    Last edited by crashaz; November 26th, 2013 at 22:28.
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy

i have one gtx 560 twinn frozer II /oc i tried all of the above still no good crashes everytime i try to do anything with the menu. All i can do is go to full screen everything else crashes it.

Members who have read this thread: 27