Flying Stations Buccaneer S2 out now - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flying Stations Buccaneer S2 out now

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Ive never seen one of these. Wild...

Any screenshots of the panel?
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    Ive never seen one of these. Wild...
    Any screenshots of the panel?
    Here you go. The VC looks good and has lots of functional gauges and switches. One of the features which I like a lot is the ADD system which produces audio tones linked to the AoA indicator lights! I think $15 is a bargain for this model.

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Very nice. Many thanks for the screenshots.

Looks like a fun bird to fly.
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Nice little video of the Buccaneer strutting it's stuff at Red Flag

Charter Member 2014 HighGround22's Avatar
    Back around 1983, I was Airboss aboard HMCS Margaree, a Canadian DDH (ASW-helo-carrying destroyer). While working with the NATO Squadron, StaNavForLant (aka "Stanley Foreskin"), I would often hang around the Ship's bridge and pilotage during my non-flying hours. I found I could learn useful things while watching the "Fish-Heads" playing their part in the ongoing War Games.

One of my strongest and fondest memories of those times, was when our vessels were transiting between the Shetlands and the Orkneys, and we came "under attack" by Buccaneers out of Lossimouth. The aircraft were detected to our rear, and they quickly closed towards our "six", weaving back and forth in what I thought at first were purely evasive manoeuvres, but always managing to stay at our Six.

And it soon became aparent that part of *our* tactic was to turn to bring our forward guns to bear, so as to augment the aft gun. But those clever guys in the Bucc's just kept swinging to limit our firepower to the aft gun only. Pure magic to watch these huge, fast "smoking" aircraft cranking large bank angles at such low, low altitudes -- usually 100 to 200 feet! Best noisy, smoky "airshow" I ever saw!

I've always harboured a fondness for "functionally beautiful" aircraft, and Blackburn's Buccaneer kinda epitomizes that definition, I think. Y'know, with that big, beefy landing gear and the big "barn" gear doors to go with them. And that "pregnant" bulge in the after fuselage, to say nothing of those huge, air-brake doors. It made for a really *solid* looking aerodyne!

But enough of my nostalgic babbling. My chief reason for this post is that I stumbled across this rather interesting video on YouTube regarding the history of this lovely aircraft. Worth watching, methinks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46a-7N_13Sk

A tad lengthy, but interesting nevertheless.
    -Jon
    -------------
    If you try to fail,
    and you succeed,
    which have you done?

Another one to check out is the video from Operation Pulsator; when the Bucc's flew down the streets of Beirut :0
    It could fly higher (and lower) than its eventual replacement, the Tornado GR1, and with a higher cruise speed and lower fuel burn, true it was a lump of an aeroplane 63,000lbs max all-up weight; best aeroplane I ever worked on so far.

That bomb bay was very versatile; you could add extra fuel tanks for range or capable buddy tanker; or fit a range of stowage crates
    to fly useful things around in while still maintaining use of wing stations (remembering to inhibit bomb door operation !!)

ttfn

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by HighGround22 View Post
    ................ I stumbled across this rather interesting video on YouTube regarding the history of this lovely aircraft. Worth watching, methinks:

Fascinating, thanks for posting the link

Nice in flight shot with Sea vixens towards the end and that last scene, well that says it all :salute:

But enough of my nostalgic babbling. My chief reason for this post is that I stumbled across this rather interesting video on YouTube regarding the history of this lovely aircraft. Worth watching, methinks:

Aaaaand there goes my "Business French" homework...

I can highly recommend this one!!! :mixedsmi:

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by Airtrooper View Post
    I can highly recommend this one!!! :mixedsmi:
    What no Photo Recce Pod pics Airtrooper?

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    Another one to check out is the video from Operation Pulsator; when the Bucc's flew down the streets of Beirut . . . .

Pete
    Pete, Mon Vieux!

I've been looking high and low for such a video, but cannot seem to put a finger on it (them?). Can you possibly give us a steer to the link for the video you describe?

Sounds most tantalizing, after reading through the short write-ups on the incident.
    -Jon
    -------------
    If you try to fail,
    and you succeed,
    which have you done?

Blog Entries
    At the risk of going off topic (because there's no Buccaneer's on it) there's a marvellous film of 60's Royal Navy aviation here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFzRtOuj5GQ

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by IanHenry View Post
    At the risk of going off topic (because there's no Buccaneer's on it) there's a marvellous film of 60's Royal Navy aviation here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFzRtOuj5GQ
    Nice music.

The liberal use of single-use steel cables just for launching aircraft is simply mind boggling...

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    . . . The liberal use of single-use steel cables just for launching aircraft is simply mind boggling . . . .
    Yeah, the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) -- back when we had such expensive things as carriers -- modeled itself after the RN, right down to those single-use cables going to waste after each and every launch.

As a First-Timer aboard the ship during air ops, probably my very first WTF? moment was seeing all those cables splashing into the sea! If ever there was a simple problem in need of a fix, that was it.

After all, even the Murikens aren't so profligate, are they!?!

I often imagined an exchange like this, after some important battle had been lost:

Board of Enquiry: "Well Captain, were your aircraft serviceable?"
    Skipper: "Yes. All were ready to go."
    BoE: "Did you have sufficient fuel and armaments?"
    Skipper: "Yes, plenty of both."
    BoE: "Then why f'god's sake did you NOT launch your aircraft!?!"
    Skipper: "Well . . . y'see . . . it seems we had freshly run out of launch cables during our last training exercise,
    so we had to leave them sitting on the deck."
    -Jon
    -------------
    If you try to fail,
    and you succeed,
    which have you done?

After all, even the Murikens aren't so profligate, are they!?!
    They were. At least until the F-14, A-7 and A-6 were introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by sketchy View Post
    What no Photo Recce Pod pics Airtrooper?
    LOL! Here you go...

Attachment 94783

Absolutely LOVING having the camera crate (no pod needed ) with this model!

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Nice music.

The liberal use of single-use steel cables just for launching aircraft is simply mind boggling...
    It is until you look at the cost of a whole sortie and realise it's a rounding error! Around the early '60s HMS Victorious briefly gained a system for retaining them, basically a second shuttle behind the first which had a rope tied to the cable, this then got removed for reasons I've never learnt. Subsequently when Ark Royal underwent her refit to operate Phantoms a revised system was fitted to both catapults, around the same time the US carriers also started having them fitted. There's an RN video somewhere on deck operations that states you'd get 20 launches from a cable before it was considered used up at which point they'd just let it fly off the end. The catcher seems to have resulted in an extension beyond the flight deck for those catapults that had them.

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyBing View Post
    There's an RN video somewhere on deck operations that states you'd get 20 launches from a cable before it was considered used up at which point they'd just let it fly off the end.
    Well, it's still better than 20 cables for 20 launches.

Blog Entries
    Well, it's still better than 20 cables for 20 launches.
    No, actually, because with reusing them likely comes with an ever-escalating risk of failure at launch. On certain aircraft, where the lift/thrust/launch force parameters were as narrow as the Bucc S.1, the risk to lose an aircraft and likely the crew on a partial catapult launch over a silly cable is nonsensical. USN and others navies' records from the 50s to the 70s are replete with cases of aircraft and crew losses from "cold" shots and other catapult related failures.

As Skippy pointed out, in light of the other consumables, the launch cables would have been an insignificant factor.

Anyway, as regards the S.2, I'm stoked to see such a "rich" breadth of model and loadout options. A question - in the 5 minutes I had to look at this model since buying it, I noticed that the arrestor hook and wing fold didn't appear to work on the RAF models. That would make sense, of course, historically. But if, for my own enjoyment, I'd like to activate those on the non-RN models, is the logic built in to the panel, and redirecting the aircraft.cfg "panel =" to the naval versions' panel? Or is the wing-fold and hook "hard coded" to be off in the RAF/SAAF models?

thanks,

PS - looking forward to Bruce's repaints (mentioned over at the Flying Stations boards). Indeed, any repaint for this lovely lady will be avidly appreciated. Can't wait for work to quieten down so I can get some decent flying time in her!

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    No, actually, because with reusing them likely comes with an ever-escalating risk of failure at launch. On certain aircraft, where the lift/thrust/launch force parameters were as narrow as the Bucc S.1, the risk to lose an aircraft and likely the crew on a partial catapult launch over a silly cable is nonsensical. USN and others navies' records from the 50s to the 70s are replete with cases of aircraft and crew losses from "cold" shots and other catapult related failures.
    Despite all the risks from cable fatigue or cold launches, I still think it was a bloody silly idea.

Despite all the risks from cable fatigue or cold launches, I still think it was a bloody silly idea.
    Yeah, what's a few dead aircrew when you can save cables!

I noticed that the arrestor hook and wing fold didn't appear to work on the RAF models.
    Odd, they should do, I'll double check, the only thing that shouldn't work is the launch assist as the strop points and hold back were deleted during the conversion process. I mean by BAe not me!

Hmm, the wing fold on the RAF version only seems to work if you use the lever in the VC (on the right hand console in the front cockpit) and you're right about the tailhook, which is odd as I know it worked earlier! I'll have a play around and see what's happened there.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Skip.

Would love to be able to have both the wing fold and hook work on all models - ideally using the FSX commands, but worst case, using VC switches would be fine too.

Blue skies and lots of launch cables ...

DL

Charter Member 2012
    Here are a couple of paints for the S2 in RAE West Freugh colours, these paints are for the latest build of the Buccaneer Version 2.1 released 6th November2013

XW986

XW988

You can get them at the link below

RAE Bucc S2 Pair link

Bruce

Wow. Great. Thanks Bruce. :ernae:
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Members who have read this thread: 10