FS2004 Screenshots Here!!! - Page 138
Page 138 of 155 FirstFirst ... 3888128130131132133134135136137138139140141142143144145146148 ... LastLast
Results 3,426 to 3,450 of 3875

Thread: FS2004 Screenshots Here!!!

Pete, is that repaint available anywhere? I'm just starting on a few repaints of the Plane Design Spitfire, concentrating on airworthy examples, so I'd be able to cross that one off my list.
    Andy

Its either one of the included liveries (I'm pretty sure it is...) or it was done by Darrin "Hammerd" Covington. As I have it as well.....

And Pete I have this one also! Same aircraft however in the livery it had from 1992 until 2005.

One of the best repaints I have ever seen! also done by Hammerd and available here in the SOH library!

The model is still available at Sim Market.

Cheers,
    Huub

One swift reinstall later .... Thank you Huub.
    Andy

Kingsday in the Netherlands

Yesterday we celebrated the birthday of our King. It is a national holiday, so we are all happy. We eat too many sweet cakes call "Tom pouce", dress in orange and try to sell our garbage

My personal tradition it to go cycling and end up finding my way is blocked due a "free market". Once home again I also have to take one of these awfully sweet cakes.

The King visited Rotterdam yesterday, close to where this airfield was located.

Cheers,
    Huub

Blog Entries
    A perfect pairing.

Happy Koningsdag for yesterday!

I feel for you Huub, being forced to eat that 'horrible' cake...

Cheers

Shessi

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    Happy Koningsdag for yesterday!

I feel for you Huub, being forced to eat that 'horrible' cake...

Cheers

Shessi
    My wife bought 2 boxes full of these things, as she expected the (grand) children to visit us. In the end she was called by her work whether she could work, because somebody went ill. Of course she did, called the kids they couldn't come, and now we are stuck two boxes of far too sweet cakes........

Life is horrible sometimes

Cheers,
    Huub

Icon4

Ha ha poor you!

Just eat them on the Peloton (if you have one), balanced in's and out's.....

S

ps Hmmmm, now I want one of those.

T4N Torpedo Truck Updated

While David's fully occupied with off-live life I've taken the opportunity to step back from the Classic Era into the Golden age and do something I've wanted to do for years. I've completely reskinned our old Martin T4M Torpedo truck. In the seventeen years since we released it I've learned a few things. One is a far better way to depict a finish that deviled me for many years - aluminized silver paint and dope. The base color of the old skins was terrible so I've replaced it with a far better representation. I've also found far more authentic identification colors; some of the colors on the old skins were much too bright.

All the old skins are reworked except for a few I deleted because they were based more on inference than documentation. I corrected errors in one or two others, and added several new ones.

The old model doesn't have a VC so I've made the 3D model visible in VC view and placed the eyepoint where the pilot's eyes would be. If you look around outside the cockpit with your hat switch you'll see the nose, tail and wings of your plane just like you would in a real VC. But if you look down into the cockpit all you see is the inside of the empty shell of the model. Nothing to see here folks, just move long. So not a real VC but a big improvement over the old "invisible cockpit" view. Thanks to normb for showing me this trick!

I hope to finish proofing the skins for errors and get the updated T4M posted within a day or two, maybe as soon as this evening.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T4Mv2.PNG 
Views:	52 
Size:	885.3 KB 
ID:	90624

Gosh, I do like those Mick.
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

F190-d

Team Daedalus have released a Fw 190D for CFS2, but works just great in FS9 too, lovely sound set also included, thanks guys, another winner
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails d1.jpg  

Thanks for the heads up Ian. I definitely have a close look at it. But suddenly I'm enjoying flying French jets lately........

(I know the red one is from Belgium)

My wife was watching over my shoulder when I landed the Alphajet at Cazaux AB in France. For sure it wasn't my best landing, but not my worst as well. My wife's comment was that I was lucky it wasn't a commercial flight as most of my passengers would have been scared to death..... My wife clearly doesn't understand anything from flying military jets

Cheers,
    Huub

This little French beauty has always been a favorite of mine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails m1.jpg  

Bsk mossie, with a Morton paint--
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails b1.jpg  

Slightly Delayed

I said a week ago that I was about ready to upload my revision of the old T4M Torpedo Truck as soon as I checked the new skins for errors. I only found one thing I wasn't satisfied with - the base color. As usual, aluminized silver paint and dope gave me fits! I was pretty happy with the silver I used on Alan's Grasshoppers so I used it on the T4M, but after looking at it on the T4M I wasn't pleased at all. It just didn't look as good on that model. So I changed it. Due to a shortage of hobby time it's taken me a week to rework all the skins for the plane on wheels, but they're finished. Now I just have to rework the skins for the floatplane. There aren't nearly so many so it shouldn't take so long, unless real world matters keep stealing my hobby time.

Anyway, here's a preview:

Name:	T4M 2-T-4.PNG 
Views:	14 
Size:	590.4 KB 
ID:	90705

T4M looks great, Mick! You've always had the yellow wing color exact.

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    T4M looks great, Mick! You've always had the yellow wing color exact.
    Thanks Jerry!

It was something of a project to come up with the colors. I started with the color chips in Major Elliott's first Monogram volume, which I didn't have back when I first painted the T4M (and so many of Paul Clawson's interwar Navy planes.) The chips were made from the preserved ceramic plates that are said to be colorfast for at least a hundred years. I scanned the chips and the scans didn't look the same as the chips in the book. So I made big images of the colors that filled my screen and propped the book up next to my monitor under bright light, then adjusted them until they looked to my aging eyes exactly like the chips in the book. But when I tried them on a model some of them looked too dark.

It dawned on me that I was up against a phenomenon that plagued me (and millions of others) back in the days of plastic models: scale effect. You may have seen models painted in authentic colors - dark olive drab and dark sea blue are good examples - where the models looked almost black. But if you look at those colors on real restored airplanes, or good quality color photos where there are people in the shot and their skin tones look exactly right, so the color rendition is good, the colors look nowhere near so dark as they looked on the models. Scale effect makes small bits of dark colors look even darker.

I happen to have good quality period shots of some VB-6 SBC-3 Helldivers with true blue tails, and of a lineup of Marine Corps SBC-4 Helldivers, and the true blue and willow green colors look much lighter than those color chips. Predictably, the lighter colors show much less scale effect. So I got my true blue and willow green by making the colors look like the photos to my aging eyes.

I have a suspicion that I could've lightened the insignia red a bit more than tiny bit that I did, but that looks in the photos pretty much like the chip color. Lemon yellow also looked very close, and of course it's hard to go wrong with black and white.

And yes, you're right. The one color that I found I'd had exactly right all along is the orange-yellow of the top of the upper wings. It's the only one (besides black & white) that I didn't have to alter at least a tiny bit like lemon yellow and insignia red, or more than a little like willow green and true blue. In the past I'd deliberately used a slightly lighter lemon yellow to show more contrast with orange yellow, but in fact the two yellows were very close - so close that once the Navy went from big solid triangles of section colors on the wing top to thin chevron stripes, virtually every squadron felt compelled to outline lemon yellow chevrons in black to make them visible against the orange-yellow wings.

Curiously, about color names: the Army's just plain "yellow" was much more orange than the Navy's "orange-yellow."

As for the silver, I knew what I wanted, I just found it really hard to get it.

You're an artist, Mick! Plain and simple!

Whatever you come up with, it's worth the wait!

Jorge
    Miami, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
    You're an artist, Mick! Plain and simple!
    Whatever you come up with, it's worth the wait!
    Jorge
    Miami, FL
    Thanks Jorge!

I downloaded your repaints for the F11C and F4B and I think you matched the official colors very closely. I thought you might have been nipped lightly by scale effect on those two troublesome colors, willow green and true blue, but you were pretty much spot on. You probably got as close as I did. We both got a lot closer than I ever did in years past when I was painting Paul's and some other models, like the original T4M skins. And closer than I ever got on my long shelves full of inter-war Navy, Marine and Coast Guard planes in 1/72 scale plastic.

The green was just so light or dark that the Navy specified black as the contrasting color to paint markings on it, but Grumman used white and the Navy accepted it.

Way back in the nineties I wrote to the late, great aviation photographer and historian about a photo in his book U.S. Navy Aircraft 1921 - 1941. There was some uncertainty about the tail colors of a plane in a black & white photo (it was willow green, of course!) and when he wrote back he finished with a comment that I can echo here. My aging memory forces me to paraphrase rather than quote, but he said it was a great pleasure to discuss this stuff with people who understand.

Here's a couple screenies of Naval Air Reserve planes to show my interpretation of willow green and true blue. Not much different from what you came up with.

Name:	Oakland.PNG 
Views:	10 
Size:	676.6 KB 
ID:	90710 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brooklyn.PNG 
Size:	682.2 KB 
ID:	90709

If I remember correctly from things I've read, the "mixing" of colors wasn't that "exact" back then.

Besides, you combine that with months at sea, sea-salt water, sun, and just regular flying, it would all be enough to change the tones a bit.

Take whatever time you need!

Jorge
    Miami, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
    If I remember correctly from things I've read, the "mixing" of colors wasn't that "exact" back then.
    Besides, you combine that with months at sea, sea-salt water, sun, and just regular flying, it would all be enough to change the tones a bit.
    Take whatever time you need!
    Jorge
    Miami, FL
    Yes, of course. The salt sea air wrecked the paints and dopes available in those days amazingly quickly. Airplanes needed repainting and recovering almost yearly. There's a photo in one of the Larkins books of a plane that was no longer in service and left sitting outdoors. It had been there only about a year and it looked like it had been there for a decade or two. In these times of permanent paints and dopes (or I should say "coverings") and lifetime fabrics, it's hard to imagine how much maintenance those old airplanes needed.

And while the Navy had very specific color standards, as manifested by the trouble they went to to make and preserve those ceramic plates, as you said, that doesn't mean that the paint manufacturers always matched those standards. I'm reminded of the old wisecrack, "Close enough for government work," which I admit has some truth to it even though it offends me after a career in government throughout which I never heard anyone say anything like that or act that way.

One thing that frustrates me about this kind of questions is knowing that there is always a correct answer - things were some certain way and not any other way - but we may never be able to discover just what that answer is.

Bekesbourne

Name:	bekesbourne 1916_1.jpg 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	90713

Another lost airfield; Bekesbourne was active from 1916 (home to part of 50 (Home Defence) Sqn RFC); then became civilian, home to Kent Flying Club, finally re-activated as RAF Bekesbourne in 1939-40 it closed after Dunkirk

Runway directions are 'best guess' based on some old cine footage online of Kent Flying Club

ttfn

Pete

Name:	bekesbourne 1940_1.jpg 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	90715

and in 1940; just as the 'Phoney War' period is coming to an end; Lysanders of 13 sqn in residence to carry out reconaissance over the French coast; a couple of visiting Hurricanes

ttfn

\pete

Shapes of things

Name:	BV141_1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	90716

"it's a bird, a plane , a BV141!"

old CFS2 model by a japanese modeller ported into fs9

ttfn

Pete