FS2004 Screenshots Here!!! - Page 134
Page 134 of 155 FirstFirst ... 3484124126127128129130131132133134135136137138139140141142144 ... LastLast
Results 3,326 to 3,350 of 3866

Thread: FS2004 Screenshots Here!!!

Pioneer

The B-45 was the first jet to drop a live atomic bomb. This is the one that did it, on November 1st, 1951.

48-001 was the first B-45C built and one of the few to retain the C-model's distinctive tip tanks. Only ten C-model bombers were built, not enough to equip a combat unit, so they all went to the Air Research & Development Command. ARDC farmed some of them out to other USAF agencies for various test purposes, and to several private companies for jet engine and other test work, few of which required the extended range provided by the tip tanks.

If you look really closely at the nose you can see that the radome had been replaced by aluminum skinning with a small rectangular window at the tip of the nose. That's for the old Norden bombsight that was needed because the Tornado’s sophisticated bomb/nav system still wasn’t working.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    The B-45 was the first jet to drop a live atomic bomb. This is the one that did it, on November 1st, 1951.

48-001 was the first B-45C built and one of the few to retain the C-model's distinctive tip tanks. Only ten C-model bombers were built, not enough to equip a combat unit, so they all went to the Air Research & Development Command. ARDC farmed some of them out to other USAF agencies for various test purposes, and to several private companies for jet engine and other test work, few of which required the extended range provided by the tip tanks.

If you look really closely at the nose you can see that the radome had been replaced by aluminum skinning with a small rectangular window at the tip of the nose. That's for the old Norden bombsight that was needed because the Tornado’s sophisticated bomb/nav system still wasn’t working.
    I posted a picture! What happened to the picture?!

I’ll try again. Here it is. Or here it should be:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Atomic Test.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	88685

The picture is there now!

Quote Originally Posted by Sphinx_58 View Post
    The picture is there now!
    Yep, there it is. It was there when I posted it the first time, I saw it there (with my lyin’ eyes?) but the next time I looked at the thread it was gone. I dunno how that happened. Curious.

A strange find in our national art museum

You don' t expect to find a plane in an ART museum (even if it's yourClick image for larger version. 

Name:	02.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	187.2 KB 
ID:	88775Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	88776 NATIONAL ART MUSEUM )

hertzie.

We’ll, some planes are works of art.

For those who are interested, it's the Koolhoven FK-23.

hertzie.

Quote Originally Posted by hertzie View Post
    You don' t expect to find a plane in an ART museum (even if it's yourClick image for larger version. 

Name:	02.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	187.2 KB 
ID:	88775Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	88776 NATIONAL ART MUSEUM )

hertzie.
    This Koolhoven FK23 Bantam (although officially the BAT FK23 Bantam) has quite a history. The remains of this (original) aircraft were purchased in England by the Koolhoven Aircraft Foundation in 1990. The aircraft was restored to its current state by a team led by Harry van der Meer, who was the technical curator of the Aviodrome at that time. So it was logical it was displayed in the Aviodrome once finished.

However around 2010 the Aviodrome ran into serious financial problems, which made it uncertain that this museum could remain open. To ensure the aircraft would remain on display the owner (The Koolhoven Aircraft Foundation) sold the aircraft to the National Museum (Rijksmuseum) for the restoration costs.

The National museum wanted to have the aircraft in their collection as it was (quote) :"Mechanization, mobility, weapon technology and Dutch design come together in the Bantam, making the aircraft a dream object for the Rijksmuseum. The Bantam will be part of the 20th century display and will be on display from 2013. The plane shows the influence on the formal language of modernism in the 1920s-1930s".
    Due to the "even continuing" uncertain financial position of the Aviodrome, it is logical the aircraft had to leave there. I'm glad it remained in the Netherlands.

We had a similar story with the Farman from the former Air Force Museum at Soesterberg. When the rumours started the museum had to close and would merge into the new National Military Museum, the owner Louman took his aircraft back an put it on display in his beautiful car museum. Its a pity we can't have a national aviation museum in the Netherlands where all historical aircraft can be found under one roof. But I'm glad somebody at least took the effort to preserve these aircraft for the future. And personally And I think the FK23, has a larger audience in the National Museum than it had in the Aviodrome. Which fits with the purpose of the foundation, as their goal was/is to keep the name Koolhoven as aircraft designer alive (BTW Very nice people who were great support during the development of the FS9 Koolhoven FK58 fighter).

For the Dutch museums there is a lot to put on display. There are many beautiful and unique aircraft in storage. for instance we have a beautiful Fokker C.X replica stored somewhere at Soesterberg, there is a Fokker D.XXI hidden on a ceiling, there is a Fokker G.1 replica in stage, there is a Buffalo replica and a Curtiss replica hidden somewhere...... And when somebody wants to spend some money we still have an reasonable original Fokker C.V in the Aviodrome which desperately needs some preservation.

I'm very curious to see what will happen with the unique collection of the Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum. Most museums depend on the financial support of privateers, but in the end it is the owner who owns his aircraft. For the Netherlands you can wonder how long the Spitfires from Frits van Eerdt will remain with the KLuHV, now he has run in to some legal problems.

Cheers,
    Huub

Thanks Huub for your very nice explanation!

hertzie.

Quote Originally Posted by mav View Post

Cheers mav
    Re-shaped wing?

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Re-shaped wing?

Cheers,
    Huub
    No.... lol

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1300898

Cheers mav

Name:	Stateside.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	88947

"Stateside" was an RB-45C of Detachment 2 of the Strategic Air Command's 91st Strategic Reconnaissance Squadron deployed to Far East Air Forces in 1953, during the Korean War. It got from Alaska to its base in Japan by becoming the first jet to cross the Pacific non-stop. Based at Yokota, it flew deep penetration reconnaissance missions from Suwon and Kimpo, Korea, over North Korea, the People's Republic of China and the eastern Soviet Union. The RB-45 was t he first plane to routinely use aerial refueling on operational missions. The hairy eyeball and crocodile jaws were not actual unit markings but they appeared on some other planes that passed through Yokota.

I don't mean to hog this thread but we haven't had any new pictures for a couple weeks now. So here's another screenie from our upcoming B-45 Tornado project.

This is a B-45C-5, a very rare bird. There were only four of them converted to bombers from RB-45C-1s. All reconnaissance equipment was removed and the planes were equipped with the full offensive suite of the B-45A, except for the old Norden bomb sight, no longer needed because the designed-in bombing/navigation system was finally working after years of tinkering with it.

All that remained of the RB was the sheet metal nose, the tip tanks and the in-flight refueling receptacle. With its additional range the B-45C-5 was the most formidable of Tornado bombers.

Name:	85th C-5.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	89100

This one is the airplane formerly known as "Stateside," pictured above, when it was running deep penetration missions out of Japan over the PRK, PRC and USSR in the early 1950s.

Wonderful job there mick. Can’t wait to have a go of this beauty. David’s done another great job.

look forward to his “other” project too
    Alex

Brisbane, Australia

Thanks Alex,

Now that I have a functional confutor the project is moving along after an eight month hiatus. David is doing a couple final tweaks on the models and I’m doing some little fixes on the skins I’ve painted so far. I have several more skins to do and the manual to finish, and the Tornado will be ready to fly.

The B-45 had some unique operating procedures that David managed to model in the 3D and flight models, so the pilot’s notes in the manual will be important. Getting the Tornado up in the air won’t be hard, but if you don’t know the tricks to come back down you could get stuck up there!

As with the B-47 we’ve gone a bit overboard, David making models of every variant we could find out about (except the X-jobs, which were just unique enough to require a whole new model from scratch and wore no interesting markings) and I’m painting skins to show the plane in the colors and markings of every unit that operated the type and the operational versions with every combination of squadron colors and external stores. We like going overboard like that!

I can’t predict a release date yet but it will be pretty soon.

Ilyushin Il-14

I found this model at the LH Simulations site. The model is the Il-14 by Jens B. Kristensen, The VC has been updated by the LH Simulations team.

The Ll-14 was the Russian replacement of the DC3/Li-2.

Hawker Audax. Karachi, India

The Hawker Hart-Audax.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Karachi India.png  
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

Sporting one of Morton's skins....

And a Russian military version of the same aircraft a few posts before (although this one without blisters).

Cheers,
    Huub

Fired up Fs9 for a change, Tutor at Robin Hodd & Sandtoft.

Tempts me to boot up Golden Wings and take a Tutor for a flight!

Been awhile since I last used Fs9, not very good weather for an open cockpit flight.

SOH-CM-2024
    Blog Entries
    Returning Home

Name:	09FCB145-3706-4E49-A66C-6F9E31ECA6B1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	89347