FS2004 Screenshots Here!!! - Page 121
Page 121 of 153 FirstFirst ... 2171111113114115116117118119120121122123124125126127128129131 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,025 of 3807

Thread: FS2004 Screenshots Here!!!

I thought Alphasim/Virtavia had release a paintkit for their Gloster Meteor , but it seems the didn't. So I had to make one from scratch. Therefore it took a bit longer than expected.

Aluminium dope is always a challenge to paint. I did the best I could, but it looks nice from one angle and horrible from another.

As the Dutch Meteors were mainly flown without belly or wing drop tanks, I have removed them by "alpha-ing" them out.

I think I'm finished, so I will make it a package and upload it soon(ish).

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post

Aluminium dope is always a challenge to paint. I did the best I could, but it looks nice from one angle and horrible from another.

As the Dutch Meteors were mainly flown without belly or wing drop tanks, I have removed them by "alpha-ing" them out.

I think I'm finished, so I will make it a package and upload it soon(ish).
    Thanks Huub, in reality the silver finish ( from the factory) was known as High Speed Silver, it was a paint that contained a mix of aluminium oxide and a gloss lacquer.
    Haven't seen many good 'in sim representations'

Ttfn

Pete

High speed silver sounds much better than aluminium dope . After your remark I have been reading about this paint, but this must really have been a high gloss paint.

Cheers,
    Huub

This paint drives me to distraction! I've read that during most of the Golden Age the vast majority of airplanes and virtually all airships throughout the world were painted in it. That's because it reflects solar radiation and protected fabric from deterioration due to ultraviolet light. Today we have colored paints and "coatings" that protect fabric from the sun but in those days only aluminized silver could do it.

Some of you know of my fixation on the aircraft of the U.S. naval services, and they were pretty much all painted in aluminized silver paint and dope, though due to adhesion problems there was a period when metal surfaces were painted gray, using a shade of gray that looked as much like silver as possible until improved paints led to a return to silver metal parts in the mid-thirties.

I've been painting models in that finish for a couple decades now and silver paint and dope still gives me fits. As Pete mentioned, it was made by dumping actual metal - aluminum powder - into the paint or dope as the pigment, giving it a true metallic gleam. In photos it can be distinguished from bare metal mostly by its uniformity, compared to the way bare metal looks a little different on different panels.

The best way to imagine this finish, or actually see it in the real world, is to think of or actually see radiator paint, which is the same thing. Back in the daze of my youth our family home had steam heat with metal radiators in each room and they were painted in aluminized silver paint to best radiate the heat from the steam flowing through them. These radiators were extremely common in the U.S. in those days and are still to be seen in many old houses. I've been told that they were (and may still be) common in the U.K., so perhaps also elsewhere in Europe. If you've seen one of those old radiators, you've seen aluminized silver paint.

It's a challenge on a virtual model. It has to have some reflectivity in order to look metallic, but too much makes it look like bare metal; too little and it looks like gray. I've seen (and sometimes borrowed) many painters' versions of this finish and while some look pretty good, few really seem to capture the look.

High speed silver sounds much better than aluminium dope . After your remark I have been reading about this paint, but this must really have been a high gloss paint.

Cheers,
    Huub
    Oh its a horrible paint to work with Huub; back when I was just starting out in RAF it was used on internal areas (inside of engine bays and maintenance bays / hatches ) on the Canberra's I was working on

ttfn

Pete

As the model isn't glossy or reflective, you have to live with a greyish repaint, which I tried to make look like aluminium paint . As far as I know the aircraft currently in the Dutch museums are now painted with modern aluminium paint. The PH-PBY, the Dutch Catalina which has gone to the Collins Foundation was even sprayed with an aluminium coloured epoxy paint.

Enough about the paint! The repaint is available in the library! Get it while it is still warm.

Cheers,
    Huub

Once you have created the paintkit, the rest is so simple......

And the real thing.....

Very nice Huub, good to see the Alpha Meatbox getting some new clothes

As the model isn't glossy or reflective, you have to live with a greyish repaint, which I tried to make look like aluminium paint . As far as I know the aircraft currently in the Dutch museums are now painted with modern aluminium paint. The PH-PBY, the Dutch Catalina which has gone to the Collins Foundation was even sprayed with an aluminium coloured epoxy paint.
    Enough about the paint! The repaint is available in the library! Get it while it is still warm.
    Cheers,
    Huub
    Looks good! Nice work Huub!

The Meteor in camouflage scheme is now available in the library as well. It will most likely be my last repaint before the end of the year.

As the original aircraft has a belly tank in the picture above, I gave this one a belly tank as well. I think the Netherlands are too small to justify the extra tanks under the wings.

A funny thing, I had never realised before I started to read about this aircraft, but until the arrival of the Lockheed F104-G Starfighter the Dutch Air Force was more or less divided in to major sections. The Air Defence Command (Commando Luchtverdediging) which was very British orientated, organised like the RAF and flew with British jets, and the Tactical Air Command (Commando Tactische Luchtstrijdkrachten) which flew American ground support aircraft and was organised much more like the USAAF.

Cheers,
    Huub

One more......

Cheers mav

Hell(Cat) in the Pacific

Attachment 85913

Attachment 85914

Again , thanks for filling the gap in my hangar Huub and Andrew!

ttfn

Pete

When You Feel The Need For Speed

Nuthin else comes close....

Cheers mav

Members +
    VERY nice..
    I feel the need, the need for speed!
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Avro Shackleton MR3 over Dragon Peaks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails grab_012.jpg  
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

Ford trimotor sporting some new skins by UncleTgt.

Cheers mav

Nice skins Mav, but such a pity the wings are mirrored.....

Cheers,
    Huub

I still enjoy this old brilliant classic fs9 addon from Lynn & Bill Lyons! Are you people still flying this odd beautiful goose! Lots of WORK in my newest paintjob...
    Uploaded at flightsim.com this evening and aviable tomorrow sometime. Not a easy model to paint but close enough to me. The real plane has retractable pontoons/wingtips.. or what they are called.

Cheers
    daypharris
    Dag :-)

Another picture..

And this 1941 Grumman G-21A Goose "N119AA" will also be aviable. I think this old masterpiece diserves some fresh new liveries! Maybe the only clean white paintjob on this Bill Lyons Goose..

Quote Originally Posted by mav View Post
    Hi mav,

Where did you find this single seat CFT F-16 ? made by Kirk Olsson obviously
    I had been searching for one but not luck

Cheers
    L'iguane