QF-16 takes flight

Thread: QF-16 takes flight

Charter Member 2015
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Blog Entries
    I understand the "WHY" they did it, but it is really hard watching an F-16 fighter being used as a target!!! Next to the F-86, the F-16 was my personal favorite. It had a remarkable beginning and the cost to build was just as remarkable. Great video though!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Wow - I feel old. I remember when these jets were first stationed at McConnell AFB. We were really excited to get them there, but sad to see the F-4s leave. Then the 16s left and some came down here to the 162nd FW, and some went to the Boneyard. And now this

Charter Member 2015
    Now they've turned their attention to the "Electric Jet" maybe they'll leave what's left of the Phantom force alone?
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

I'd like to see a forward facing camera view; that would be cool watching ACM sans lé pílote!

Attachment 93563

Quote Originally Posted by kilo delta View Post
    Now they've turned their attention to the "Electric Jet" maybe they'll leave what's left of the Phantom force alone?
    Let's hope! I hated seeing the bright orange on the few F-4s I saw flying here during testing for the QF program, knowing what their fate would be. Apparently this will also be the fate of the older 16s ---->

Although I can't complain too much, what with being able to see fully restored Rhinos flying around all weekend once a year during the Heritage Flight hosted at DM

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    I understand the "WHY" they did it, but it is really hard watching an F-16 fighter being used as a target!!! Next to the F-86, the F-16 was my personal favorite. It had a remarkable beginning and the cost to build was just as remarkable. Great video though!
    Ted
    That's kind of my thought, but adding also that for me I remember when the F-16 first went operational and so it's a bit disconcerting to see the oldest ones being used for target practice!

Ken

Makes me feel my age ... we had QF-86's and QF-4's at NAS Point Mugu during my 4 years there .... If I see the day that the F/A-18A has a Q designation ... wow ! Mike