27" Monitor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 27" Monitor

Charter Member 2015

27" Monitor

I want to go to a 27" monitor. Now I have a 23". I have a 6 core AMD with EVGA 660 graphics card. Any suggestions?

David

I have a lovely HP Pavilion 27 xi IPS panel that's very nice and a good value.

I have the ACER 27 , been running FS now 7/8 years without a glitch ! SUPERB! .... be cheap as chips now i guess <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Quote Originally Posted by Pepere View Post
    I want to go to a 27" monitor. Now I have a 23". I have a 6 core AMD with EVGA 660 graphics card. Any suggestions?

David
    My only suggestion is make sure to get the screen ratio that suits your preference the best. I have a 1920x1200 resolution 25.5" Samsung with a 16x10 ratio screen on my main computer (my FSX rig). Our secondary computer is an all-in-one Dell with a 1920x1080 resolution 23" screen, but it has a wider 16x9 ratio screen. Although 16x9 ratio would certainly be usable in FSX, my personal preference is a 16x10 ratio screen. It seems many manufacturers are producing higher numbers of 16x9 ratio vs. 16x10 ratio screens. While 16x9 is great for HDTV viewing, I find that the 16x10 ratio is more suited for computer use.
    Cheers,
    Dave

A few months back I bought an Assus PB278Q. I'm running FSX at 2560x1440 res. without any real issue. The only one that comes to mind is the much smaller text size on the FSX menu bar, and in some installers.
    "There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
    — Douglas Adams, 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'

Charter Member 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by arrowmaker View Post
    A few months back I bought an Assus PB278Q. I'm running FSX at 2560x1440 res. without any real issue. The only one that comes to mind is the much smaller text size on the FSX menu bar, and in some installers.
    Does the higher rez effect the FPS?

David

I just got a QNIX QX2710 27" monitor on Amazon. It's one of those 2560x1440 models, and while I haven't tried FSX on it yet, the color and clarity just blow me away on other apps. Granted, it would take a reasonably strong video card to drive this baby in FSX, but I haven't seen any monitor yet that can touch it in terms of sharpness and gorgeous color. And it was less than $300 as well.

Check the customer reviews at Newegg.
    After doing so, I bought an ASUS 27 inch from them and am very happy with it.

WARNING....... a 27 inch will look really big for a few days, but it will just seem "Normal" in a couple of days.
    just like when we went from a 32 inch TV to a 55 inch TV...... it doesn't look that big after a few days.

When I moved to Aachen to visit university, I bought a 15.6" Laptop, which I used for more than a year, without an added monitor. Than I got me a used HP w2448hc, it was BIG. Now I really got used to it, perfect for viewing a source and writing at the same time, and wonderful for FSX! I prefer to fly with quite a wide angle, so before I activated the wide screen line in the config I flew with about 0.33 zoom, which gave me view of half of each wing in a Spitfire. Now I am trying about 0.50 with the widescreen line on, and right now I like it, gives a good feel of depth, too!

Downside is that it slowed down FSX by 20-30% for me, might be a result of using the GeForce mobile card 540M only, processor is an I5@2.50 Ghz only, too. But it works now after some tweaking and it´s worth it. It runs at 1920x1200.
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

Does the higher rez effect the FPS?

David
    To be honest, I haven't noticed any major frame rate hit. I would imagine that there is some, but, as I said, nothing major. Any hit's I have had recently are due to maxing out some FSX settings to get the best out of those hungry Orbx airports. If you do go for a high res. monitor be wary of one thing. Not all graphics cards are suitable. Do your research before purchasing.
    "There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
    — Douglas Adams, 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'

Beyond size, you need to consider response time, LCD vs. LED (well, LED's are LCD....just slightly different), density, and frankly your own personal preference.

Oddly enough, you might find less expensive monitors that really look better to you (I compare this to keyboards...it's really very subjective as to what your may prefer). Go to to a brick and mortar store and look a bit.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Quote Originally Posted by TeaSea View Post
    Beyond size, you need to consider response time, LCD vs. LED (well, LED's are LCD....just slightly different), density, and frankly your own personal preference.

Oddly enough, you might find less expensive monitors that really look better to you (I compare this to keyboards...it's really very subjective as to what your may prefer). Go to to a brick and mortar store and look a bit.
    Agreed there....kinda like color TVs. Put 10 of them together (different brands) and get 10 people to review them. More than likely you'll get 10 different opinions on brightness, color, clarity, etc. My wife for instance, just wants a picture on it....not really fussy about the color, etc. Me, I want every pixel in place, every shade perfect.....

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Why not go with a 40" monitor? You can get them these days for $400.00 on sales. They can only go up to 1080p and require a HDMI link, but man, its nice to have the entire back of the desk as a horizon.

My laptop can run this LCD HDTV I have quite well, including my iPhone in bright super high rez via a HDMI adapter.

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

I am happy with a Dell 24" but also thinking of going bigger still. Isn't there an aspect ration limitation, i.e. with 2d panels having elliptical shaped gauges unless you are in either 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratios (which aren't availiabe for each gradation of screen resolution that the really big monitors do)?
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Actually, silly me, I already have a Samsung 40" 1080p sittling right next to PC station. If I run an HDMI line from my new high end PC (coming next week) would that work for FSX? If so, I would not be able to fly conveniently at my work statiion, but instead would want to sit further back in the room e.g., using a remote bluetooth keyboard (which I use in another room and works perferctly). Question: what type of wireless (mini?) joystick/;throttles are available for this kind of setup?
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Forget all this 1080p stuff. Get yourself an HP 30inch monitor running 2560x1600. A mans mans monitor.

You can find them used on eBay (a lot of the times listed as INOP), but it's really the seller not using the right cable.

Diego

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Actually, silly me, I already have a Samsung 40" 1080p sittling right next to PC station. If I run an HDMI line from my new high end PC (coming next week) would that work for FSX? If so, I would not be able to fly conveniently at my work statiion, but instead would want to sit further back in the room e.g., using a remote bluetooth keyboard (which I use in another room and works perferctly). Question: what type of wireless (mini?) joystick/;throttles are available for this kind of setup?
    I sit about 1 1/2 to 2 feet away from my screen. I have a large desk, the tv is to the very back, works fine.

I love love love it.

Whats great is for developing, all the small little lines of the aircraft mesh in Max (CAD) are huge on this, easier on the eyes.

When I am flying, I can see all that detail in large scale as well.

Menendez is right though, the 1080p isn't brilliant resolution. I would take 40" over 27 or 30 any day. I am thinking of going bigger though.

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

I'm finding this thread very interesting as at our Museum, we are building a FSX based simulator with a local Spitfire/Mustang replica company building us a cockpit into which it will all go. As we are using a complete Saitek panel, we are looking into getting the biggest screen possible. We did think about 3 screens, but are now seriously considering using a large 50"+ TV using a HDMI connection with a 2gig graphics card in the PC.

Martin

Charter Member 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by T6flyer View Post
    I'm finding this thread very interesting as at our Museum, we are building a FSX based simulator with a local Spitfire/Mustang replica company building us a cockpit into which it will all go. As we are using a complete Saitek panel, we are looking into getting the biggest screen possible. We did think about 3 screens, but are now seriously considering using a large 50"+ TV using a HDMI connection with a 2gig graphics card in the PC.

Martin

If you've got the space why not consider a HD projector setup? It'll provide much more realism compared to any LCD/LED/Plasma tv/monitor.

I've been running a Dell 30" 2560x1600 monitor since 2008 and have also used a 47" LCD tv on occasion,but prefer the 30" due to the extra resolution. I've been extolling the virtues of the QNIX 27" 1440p monitors that Joe mentioned earlier, on these forums. For that price point nothing can touch them (and they can also be overclocked to 120hz!).
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Charter Member 2015
    which is the better hookup HDMI, DVI or VGA??

David

Quote Originally Posted by kilo delta View Post
    If you've got the space why not consider a HD projector setup? It'll provide much more realism compared to any LCD/LED/Plasma tv/monitor.

I've been running a Dell 30" 2560x1600 monitor since 2008 and have also used a 47" LCD tv on occasion,but prefer the 30" due to the extra resolution. I've been extolling the virtues of the QNIX 27" 1440p monitors that Joe mentioned earlier, on these forums. For that price point nothing can touch them (and they can also be overclocked to 120hz!).
    Thanks for the suggestion. We were going to try it with an overhead projector, but forgot about it (until you mentioned it!), so when it all arrives will give it a go. We just want (and need) the most clear image we can get that looks accurate, but still large enough to fit above the width of the Saitek panel. I'm going to lug my PC to a friend's house to see how it runs on a 60" TV. Don't think I'm going to be too impressed. Time will tell.

Cheers,

Martin

David
    My experience is HDMI....hands down.

At work I have an operations center some 80 feet across and 60 feet deep. We have a wall of 14 60" LED HD Monitors. All are hooked to HDMI. I can read 8 pitch text on word docs at 75% from the back of the room.

I have another older conference room with HD LED 60" monitors on DVI and no one can read crap from 10 feet away. All have the same GPU. Unfortunately we cannot change the interface at this point (without tearing out the wall) so we're living with it until we can upgrade later this year.
    Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Charter Member 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by T6flyer View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. We were going to try it with an overhead projector, but forgot about it (until you mentioned it!), so when it all arrives will give it a go. We just want (and need) the most clear image we can get that looks accurate, but still large enough to fit above the width of the Saitek panel. I'm going to lug my PC to a friend's house to see how it runs on a 60" TV. Don't think I'm going to be too impressed. Time will tell.

Cheers,

Martin

What resolution are you running at now? If it's 1920x1080 it should perform just as good on the 60" TV (or better if the TV isn't full HD).

When I built my old sim PC I bought 4x Dell 24" LCD's for a quad sli setup. Unfortunately SWMBO had a mini fit when she saw how much space my sim would be taking up so I was forced to sell the 24" monitors and bought the single 30"!

I was offered a C172 or a MS Rallye shell for a sim pit build for my garage,but that won't be happening anytime soon as apparently storage of kids toys,bicycles,a petrol ATV,BBQ and picnic equipment etc etc takes precedence!!!!!
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

SOH-CM-2014

David
    Presently, HDMI.

VGA is horrible with TV's. I think that will be 600X400 or 800X600 and grainy. With HDMI, you can run a movie on an iPhone on a TV and its as clear and pure as downloading it from iTunes. Similar or about the same as with computers and HDMI.

Finding inexpensive cables is the hard part. You can find very inexpensive cables on ebay.

Charter Member 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    Presently, HDMI.

VGA is horrible with TV's. I think that will be 600X400 or 800X600 and grainy. With HDMI, you can run a movie on an iPhone on a TV and its as clear and pure as downloading it from iTunes. Similar or about the same as with computers and HDMI.

Finding inexpensive cables is the hard part. You can find very inexpensive cables on ebay.
    I was referring to hookups on a PC to a PC Monitor? Is HDMI still better than DVI?