Price too high - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Price too high

GaryR
    $50 too much?? LOL.... I just paid 1,249.00 ZAR for Steel Beasts Pro PE!
    :ernae:

shredward
    A Great War flight sim, or as Stachel puts it, a wormhole into time, is a very small niche in the sim market. Between Heaven and Hell is further limited in its mass market appeal by it's focus as a historical recreation of the Great War, rather than as an arcade with amazing eye candy. We knew that going in, and accepted that premise, because the war in the air Over Flanders Fields is our passion. As has been pointed out, it doesn't matter how successfully the community thinks we have met our goals, we are never going to sell very many copies. If we gave it away, we still would not hand over many more copies than the numbers we see represented by visitors to this forum. And that isn't a big number.
    Maybe we do deserve to be compensated, but that is a pipe dream, and it was never ours, and it will never happen. There are ten of us, plus a few alumni, and we prolly each spend 30 - 40 hours a week on this, sometimes many more. Multiply that by the number of weeks - months - years - you get the picture. We know we can only sell so many copies, and the pile of loot from that might repay some of the actual costs our hobby has incurred - research, programmes etc. and with any luck, might buy us a new game engine in the future.
    Our payback is the amazing time machine we have created together - it is what we had always wanted in a Great War sim.
    Enjoy!
    :ernae:
    shredward

Flame On!
    Very..............VERY well said, Shredder.

CJ
    ABIT IN9 32X-MAX nForce 680i SLI
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz
    OCZ Platinum Revision 2 4GB (4x1GB) DDR2 800
    EVGANvidiaGeForce8800GTX768MbGDDR

Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 Sound Card

SITTINGDUCK

off3

Dont worry ax,,,i will keep off2 on one computer for mp,,,,

and,,,just for my 2 cents worth..while some people can't comprehend that 60 bucks for a game is a financial decision for other people, unfortunatly thats the situation right now. I suppose there is a difference between that and having the money, and just not willing to pay the price.

But,,,,I was really hoping the people that made off3 are gonna make a bundle...off1 and off2 where free,,,,,,and, gotta belive that they are not going to just sit still...i'm am sure there is an off4 in the future.

RFD

Cool

IMO, this topic borders on silly.

If yer only now finding out about OFF P3, and you don't have the dollar$ to purchase it, enjoy the freebie P2 and start saving up for P3.

If you've been around here long enuf to follow the price point for P3 that was posted here ages ago, and you haven't been saving yer pennies all along, and now that P3 has at long last arrived, just shut up and go away. Geez.

Kudos to the OFF Team for building it - you have, and we've come - thank you one and all for providing what no one else has accomplished, anywhere. THANK YOU ALL!

77Scout
    If a country's currency has de-valued (as mine has as well) then the cost of all things go up...food, oil, and yes, games too. That's reality and complaining is just a waste of breath. If the price of OFF is too expensive compared to other priorities then don't buy it.

I think the price is right on, and in line with other games. Having searched many years for a "modern RB3D" I would have bought OFF at $200 and still been happy. There is nothing else out there.

Baywing
    Not trying to be a smart-alec here, but if the price of OFF P3 BHAH has increased to the OP's country due to currency adjustment, aren't the rest of the games quoted going to increase as well? Currency stuff usually hits across the board, prices in the US on Japanese camera gear has started to rise as a function of the yen vs dollar. I'm sorry the OP can't afford it, but this issue is surely not the Dev Teams fault. They may not be able to lower their prices due to a commitment with their publisher. This is all discretionary spending and it's up to the individual to manage their own budget. If anyone feels they can't afford it, it's a shame, but in the current state of affairs I applaud anyone who has a budget and abides by it.

Prairie_flcn
    PD, right on as always! I really don't see the issue here. I'm not trying to be insensitive either. It's a worldwide financial crisis and people are hurting everywhere and I'm very sympathetic to that.

However, what I've seen posted here is that P3 is about R500 in SA. According to Winder, XBox games are at the same price R500. If P3 is priced the same then it's a great buy. There's no comparison with what you get for the money.

Complain about the economy, absolutely.
    Complain about P3 price, sorry it's a bargain.

ovs
    We know we can only sell so many copies, and the pile of loot from that might repay some of the actual costs our hobby has incurred - research, programmes etc. and with any luck, might buy us a new game engine in the future.
    yea... that, and my now enormous Electric bill I am running up from the huge dip in the power grid I am making with this monster PC Parky devised for me.

Sorry everyone if you see on CNN that the entire Northeastern Power grid gets knocked out this summer... I didn't mean it... :focus:

OvS

Rickitycrate
    What seems clear to me is this, having OFF BHAH is not the priority for some that it is for others. What ever happened to saving up for something? I still do that since I use no credit cards. For example toward vacation expense we start an envelope and tuck a few bucks into it when we can and don't even count the amount accumulated until we need to firm up plans. I want Fallout 3 too, it is commonly available and will turn up at my local Goodwill thrift store for $3- $9. That's when I'll have that one. But my OFF BHAH was ordered straight away. Xbox and P3 games start at $60 for mass produced corporate product. May God bless OBD with unexpected success. I want Trackir... name your price, eh. I'm an old fart bag, 51. Maybe it is a generational thing. Best wishes to those saving up. Meanwhile enjoy P2.

Uriah
    $60 for game and $600 for computer upgrade. I did it, and yes to much but I will love it for years.

James "Taffy" Jones
    Perhaps it would have been better if OBD's pricing was more like the gas stations do in the States. $49.99 looks SO much cheaper than $50! :whistle:Better yet, $39.99!!

Actually, considering there hasn't been a decent WWI sim since RB3D (over 10 years ago), I think $50 is a bargain. If WWI sims aren't your cup of tea, not so much.

Fellows, what P3 means to me is comradeship. The group I fly with once spent a lot of time in P2 with many wingmen who I simply enjoyed hearing and flying with. For whatever reasons, we drifted away from P2 some months ago. When we did that, we drifted away from some of the fine wingmen I enjoyed flying with. The exalted leader of our group never demanded we purchase P3 but I was almost certain he would again be flying OFF once P3 was released. Our leader is much like me regarding the fellowship we all have with each other and I gambled that he would once again be hosting sessions for us in the WWI skies of OFF. I'm an old dude and sometimes tight with my money but $59 U.S. seemed a small price to pay for once again hearing some familiar voices in MP sessions and seeing again those welcome names as part of aircraft labels.

Flying Hobbit
    I haven't spent $50 on a game in my entire life, however BHAH is certainly going to be the first. Everything is Top Shelf and will obviously be worth every cent. Thanks to a mandatory 10% pay reduction at work for at least the next year, a freeze on any raises, and cancellation of sales incentive programs (all due to totally inept CEO and leadership team) I am collecting and cashing in recyclables to save up the money for this. Plus I get the benefit of exercise walking to find them This is a prime case of being willing to spend a bit more even if you have to scrimp and save a bit in order to get the very best product available. I am sure the extra work and waiting will make BHAH even more special for me. A hearty thanks to all who made this possible and I look forward to losing myself in your efforts. Now if you could just make a virtual reality version and the required equipment like in the movie Total Recall. What a concept.
    :typing:

$50 in the US is the going rate for a top-rate, new game.

I can't speak as to the foreign situation, money and taxes being different elsewhere. I will only say that $50 in the US is not out of the ballpark for a new game. It's not cheap, but it isn't absurd either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Défenseur de la République
    Defender of the Republic

On Winder;s request, this is hereby closed. Your Mod!!!
    There are 2 constants in the universe:
    Hydrogen and stupidity!

Members who have read this thread: 0