Short Shetland Released

Thread: Short Shetland Released

Short Shetland Released

I uploaded my rendition of the Short Shetland to simviation and flightsim this afternoon. It is already up at Flightsim and should be at simviation soon.

The Short Shetland was a very large flying boat intended for long range patrol duties. It was to be a replacement for the iconic Short Sunderland. It had a wingspan of 150 feet and a length of 110 feet which made it the largest flying boat made in the UK up to then. Two prototypes were built and it first flew in late 1944. However, the Sunderland continued to perform beyond expectations, the eminent end of the war and the fact patrol flights were being taken over by long range land planes led to no interest in the Shetland. The prototypes were retired with only 90 flight hours between the two.
    Almost all the reference data I used for this project was from the Feb, 2013 issue of Aeroplane Monthly magazine.

This is a native FSX Aceleration project. It is modeled after the military prototype which had fake turrets and a camo paint scheme. It has all the usual animations. The textures are in DXT5.DDS format. The landing lights are under the wings and swing down when illuminated. Most of my VC's have been called on the sparse side but that is politically correct for this project. The photo I have which was taken behind the pilot and copilots seats show the cockpit was indeed sparse. However, there are the usual flight and engine instruments so the plane was controllable. I assume there were many more engine and data recording instruments at other stations but I have no data on them so I didn't attempt to model them. All the instruments and controls in the VC are either directly identified or have tool tip ID. The panel instruments are illuminated for night ops. Most of the gauges are default, but I put them all in one .cab file for convenience. I didn't add pilot figures to this model because (in IMHO) they are hardly visible at all let alone to any detail on a project of this size. Also, I just don't really care for figures in the VC. All the photo's I have of the Shetland show it was a little the worse for wear, so I did not add any shine to the textures. In fact, I created a dirty layer which I call "grunge" and added it to the top of the textures with a very low opacity. This was a very large heavy aircraft so it does need a long take-off run to get airborne. It will rotate with up elevator when it gets to 100-105 knots. It also does not want to slow down very fast when it lands so I added thrust reverse. After landing just hit Ctrl+F2, wait a few seconds and advance the throttles and it slows down very well. Come out of reverse thrust by hitting Ctrl+F4. You can see the prop pitch levers in the VC move when you do reverse and back. I have included a sound file for a P & W R2800 engine. The real Shetland had Bristol Centaurus engines. There is a good Centaurus sound file out there but it just doesn't sit well with the Shetland; it works great with my Sea Fury. (one engine vs. four?)
    Best, Paul

Attachment 93222 Attachment 93223 Attachment 93224 Attachment 93225

Thanks PutPut!

Haven't had time download it yet, but I will have a look-see this week.

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

Great news--Paul!
    Off to dl.

Michael

Thanks Paul
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Very interesting choice Paul! To be honest I had never heard of this aircraft, but when I thought the pictures I immediately thought it was a Sunderland on steroids.

Thanks,
    Huub

THANKS paul, just to cool!!!
    Marvin Carter
    No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats.

First flight, Sangley Point to Cubi Point in the Philippines. Passing Grande Island in Subic Bay enroute back to Sangley. I love Paul's stuff.

Formation flying with the Martin Mars Hawaii water bomber.....just in case the Shetland's engines catch on fire.....

The Shetland is a nice addition to the FSX flying boat scene. Notice how the camo is effective in breaking up the lines of the aircraft. What a sight and sound it would have been had the Shetland been converted to a water bomber too.....

Tommy

ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

tommieboy,
    How do you set up the Mars to so you can join up on it in the Shetland?

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    tommieboy,
    How do you set up the Mars to so you can join up on it in the Shetland?
    I use a payware product called AirTrafficFX.....

I think there may be an older freeware version of this out there at http://mudpond.org .... It's not as robust as the payware AirTrafficFX version though.

Tommy
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

Tommy, thanks for the info. :salute:

Nice Work Paul , you continue to impress!

Best CJ

Same Model?

The Shetland and the Mars have a lot in common. Including the 'auto shutoff' of the strobe (lights) when throttle gets below 80%. Has anyone noticed this? I kinda LIKE my strobes to stay on until I reach cruising alt. And are they both the same base model? They sure are 'birds of a feather'.

Tried (but GAVE UP) making the Shetland a Turbo Prop as was not having any luck. I can't figure out why it gets so messed up with edits. Tried everything I know (or think I know). It either won't take off, or flys 700 kts, or won't slow under 115 kts (even after using spoiler, full flaps, and reverse thrust!!!). I used a different air file too. I do edits, but with this model I GOT BURNED.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    [SIGPIC]i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD-5700 1 Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Acer 23 in LCD, Windows XP SP2, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse[/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by napamule View Post
    The Shetland and the Mars have a lot in common. Including the 'auto shutoff' of the strobe (lights) when throttle gets below 80%. Has anyone noticed this? I kinda LIKE my strobes to stay on until I reach cruising alt. And are they both the same base model? They sure are 'birds of a feather'.

Tried (but GAVE UP) making the Shetland a Turbo Prop as was not having any luck. I can't figure out why it gets so messed up with edits. Tried everything I know (or think I know). It either won't take off, or flys 700 kts, or won't slow under 115 kts (even after using spoiler, full flaps, and reverse thrust!!!). I used a different air file too. I do edits, but with this model I GOT BURNED.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    Very strange; the strobe lights (actually a rotating beacon light, I didn't give it a strobe light per se) on my model stay on at all times unless I turn them off with the switch in the VC. (No auto turn off) Also, the flight dynamics files are not related to the Alphasim Mars in any way. I sympathize with changing it to a turboprop. I tried that on a couple of projects in the past with no more success than you. Flight dynamics are a black art for me.

Best, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by napamule View Post
    The Shetland and the Mars have a lot in common. Including the 'auto shutoff' of the strobe (lights) when throttle gets below 80%. Has anyone noticed this? I kinda LIKE my strobes to stay on until I reach cruising alt. And are they both the same base model? They sure are 'birds of a feather'....
    Maybe I don't have the most up-to-date model(s), but my Virtavia Martin Mars doesn't have flashing strobe lights. I don't recall it ever having them.

Tommy
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

Members who have read this thread: 3