Old Rhinebeck
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Rhinebeck

Members +

Old Rhinebeck

Joe Binka's Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome scenery. God Bless Him,is sorely missed in FSX...Is anything like that around?...Old Rhinebeck is a National Treasure,where the Planes of yesterday still fly today...Vin<label for="rb_iconid_24"></label>

What an undertaking that would be. Each hangar is unique. . .shoot, each building is unique and would need to have correct textures, not to mention fencelines (they use what I used to call "snow fences" when I was growing up in Jersey) and odds and ends that all make up what is "Old Rhinebeck". A 2 or 3 day visit to that area might get you everything you need to do it correctly.:isadizzy:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Members +
    Yes this would be a great undertaking...One would have to go there..Camera and sketch pad in hand.Interviewing the staff.If Joe Binkas was any indication ..it should it was a a very intense thing.An amusement Park atmosphere.Then there is the Planes? Without the planes , People?? It would be a GHOST AIRPORT.Note my Avatar,With the "LOVLEYS" who do some of the Air Show..To bad Its all in FS9....Vin<label for="rb_iconid_24"></label>

There is a small upgrade to the stock scenery made by Jim Cook - available on Flightsim.com. Not as intense as the old FS9 scenery by Mr. Binka, but still a good alternative.

Btw, I love the recent scenery packages you gentlemen are creating. Keep 'em coming!

<CENTER>FSX - FSX Scenery</CENTER><CENTER>FSX Scenery--Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome
    </CENTER><CENTER>[ Download | View ] </CENTER>
    Name: rhinebeck.zip
    Size: 463,648 Date: 11-13-2009 Downloads: 824

FSX Scenery--Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome (NY94), New York (NY). Here is an improved version of the stock Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome. In FSX it was only a turf strip with no other objects at all. This scenery adds buildings, dirt roads, static vehicles, fencing, and other scenery objects to better represent the Aerodrome. Works best with Ultimate Terrain X. By Jim Cook.
    -Mark

It's an admirable job, certainly far better than the default and it appears he uses only default objects which makes it easy for most to just download and install.:salute:

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    What an undertaking that would be. Each hangar is unique. . .shoot, each building is unique and would need to have correct textures, not to mention fencelines (they use what I used to call "snow fences" when I was growing up in Jersey) and odds and ends that all make up what is "Old Rhinebeck". A 2 or 3 day visit to that area might get you everything you need to do it correctly.:isadizzy:
    ORA is only a 30 minute drive from the home of Golden Age Simulations. Gil and I have a close connection to the aerodrome through an acquaintance on the board of trustees and the publisher of Skyways magazine. We've often talked about having a scenery developed but since we are not scenery developers its only been talk. Here's a few shots of the flight line and we have and can get many more detailed images that could be used to develop a scenery for FSX and P3D

Quote Originally Posted by Snurdley View Post
    What a perfect subject for Orbx.
    Knowing ORBX (I have their New Zealand South Island that I'm very happy with) they'd probably do a bang up job. I'd also love to see what they could do with Aeroflex-Andover in New Jersey, which has to be one of the prettiest little airports out there. There's a very nice freeware rendition of it for FSX, but I'd love to see what ORBX's treatment would be...

N.

Falcon409 and GAS are on it. More to come.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkingManNeil View Post
    Knowing ORBX (I have their New Zealand South Island that I'm very happy with) they'd probably do a bang up job. I'd also love to see what they could do with Aeroflex-Andover in New Jersey, which has to be one of the prettiest little airports out there. There's a very nice freeware rendition of it for FSX, but I'd love to see what ORBX's treatment would be...

N.

Members +
    This is exciting ..The collaboration of GAS and Falcon409.... I know Ed is a hard working guy.With an extraordinary eye and feel for accurate detail..Coupled with his love of this hobby,and Skills It will be wonderful.I too lived for many years near this Enchanted Place In Aviation.A National Treasure.Cole Palen, founder and curator of New York’s Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome,..Would Have been very pleased.The Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome is a true “living” museum of antique aviation.With an international following and interest will be high.I trust GAS will present this work ,when finished ,in their usual professional way as a great moment in Sim History...The Vision of Joe Binka lives on..Well Good Luck Guys Looking foward to all those "FLYABLE" WW1 airplanes...the Happy faces in that crowed, in The Good Ole Summertime at Rhinebeck N.Y.Vin<label for="rb_iconid_24"></label>

This project will be one of grand stature. I myself would love to see it come to fruition purely for the fact that it represents the early era of flight and things past. So much history lies beneath the many roofed structures and around the grounds. A HUGE undertaking in modeling alone. But if done as represented, my god it would be such a master-piece to have visible in virtual flight. Just the thought of it has me all tingly

Do it justice guys. :salute:

Quote Originally Posted by Spad54 View Post
    great news - its in good hands

please keep us posted if you can, I'm sure the whole place here is extremely interested in this project
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Outstanding news!!
    Best, Michael

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    great news - its in good hands

please keep us posted if you can, I'm sure the whole place here is extremely interested in this project
    Gil and I were up at ORA, yesterday, doing a photo shoot for Falcon409. We are fortunate to have a friend who is on the ORA board who provided us open access to the entire aerodrome, buildings, and hangars. The staff and volunteers, many of which are flight simmers too, are very excited, as well, to see Cole's museum come to life in FSX. We'll be developing the static aircraft and will be converting our New Standard D-25, released a few years back, to full FSX native to accompany the scenery release. Those wishing to see the album of photos taken yesterday may do so by dropping by our Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/<wbr>GoldenAgeSimulation

This is great news Paul
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Quote Originally Posted by beana51 View Post
    This is exciting ..The collaboration of GAS and Falcon409.... I know Ed is a hard working guy.With an extraordinary eye and feel for accurate detail..Coupled with his love of this hobby,and Skills It will be wonderful.I too lived for many years near this Enchanted Place In Aviation.A National Treasure.Cole Palen, founder and curator of New York’s Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome,..Would Have been very pleased.The Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome is a true “living” museum of antique aviation.With an international following and interest will be high.I trust GAS will present this work ,when finished ,in their usual professional way as a great moment in Sim History...The Vision of Joe Binka lives on..Well Good Luck Guys Looking foward to all those "FLYABLE" WW1 airplanes...the Happy faces in that crowed, in The Good Ole Summertime at Rhinebeck N.Y.Vin<label for="rb_iconid_24"></label>
    I would not set the expectation that each of the aircraft at the museum would be flyable. I believe just about every one of the aircraft seen at ORA have examples modeled already. We've done the New Standard (which will be re-modeled) the J-2 Cub, the Menasco and Ranger powered Great lakes, and QCf Waco. All of these will be converted to static aircraft for the flight line. Static models or the Fokker DR-1 Tri-plane, DVII, and Spad are planned. If there are any developers of vintage aircraft out there that would like to supply a static version of some of the earlier planes like the Bleriot or Curtiss pusher, we'd be thrilled to hear from them and they can contact me via forum PM.

Members +
    Yes a lot of research and hands on collection of this Ole Rhinebeck is Critical.This is a living place and does give different looks at different times...Lets Face it Its an Old Place, Faded,Signs of time,growth...As Comfortable as an old Flight Jacket.....I feel it cannot look new!...In any Event Trust Ed to capture this Big task..It will take time....Was wondering ,like other superb scenery ,how can it be shared with the Non Sim World? This as a Documentary Type of sorts?

Years ago ,I observed a group of men,looking like tourists,all gathered and looking at the "ALBATROSS" on the line.I asked them where they came from,and they said Germany,I observed they had misty eyes looking at this iconic WW1 plane....They had come a long way to see it..Well I Bloviated enough,Hard to hide my and others great interest in this.....Thanx Vin

Back in January/February I started to port Joe Binka's ORA into FSX.
    http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showth...28#post1747328

Since then I went back to the Photo Real of the original.
    Frame rate hit with the FS9 Autogen and my modded original AI planes and new traffic file is pretty severe.
    It is a blast to watch them coming in for the show though.
    I can't wait to have an FSX native Old Rheinbeck Aerodrome. Best of luck to you guys. :salute: ...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E, i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP wet), EVGA GTX 970 FTW, 16GB DDR3-2400,
    128GB SAMSUNG 830-Win 7 Ult x64, 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro-FS9/FSX/P3D, WD 1TB Black-FS98, ROF, etc. WD Black 2TB-Storage/Backup,

Good news. Love to see this for FSX.

So once you get this one down, you can replicate EAA AirVenture right?

Seriously, this will be a great addition, still have one CC the wife does not know about- don't take too long though...
    Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.
    (Clarke and Clark)

ORA is only a 30 minute drive from the home of Golden Age Simulations. Gil and I have a close connection to the aerodrome through an acquaintance on the board of trustees and the publisher of Skyways magazine. We've often talked about having a scenery developed but since we are not scenery developers its only been talk. Here's a few shots of the flight line and we have and can get many more detailed images that could be used to develop a scenery for FSX and P3D

Having visited ORA once several years ago, I would expect one of the biggest challenges to it being reasonably represented in a flight sim would be the topography of its physical location. Only hinted at in the photograph above, I seem to recall some pretty steep hills including part of the runway itself.

If there is data available for that area, I'll produce some mesh and see if it gives the necessary "undulations", lol

Current System Specs:

Members +
    Don't fret Folk!...its down there..Some where?...Trust Me OLD RHINEBECK is there! Enjoy the Scenery!..Don't worry be Happy.Its OK!....."OLD RHINEBECK, this is New Standered..Copy??HELLO?

We Know its in the Works..Falcon409 is on the job....The anticipation is very great...Vin

Fear not, work is progressing. I have most of the buildings placed, although work remains in various stages to have them complete. Fences, bleachers, Ticket Booth and entry sign are also in place. . .as are the ground textures and seasonal autogen (which both require some tweaking).:salute:

Current System Specs:

Members +
    NO FEAR Ed, We know this is a GRAND THING you do...Know that you have all our support..Altho no one can really help you...OLD RHINEBECK is a Summer thing..Thanx for the update...And Thanx for doing this....Vin<label for="rb_iconid_24"></label>

Members who have read this thread: 0