CUSTOM SCENERY

Thread: CUSTOM SCENERY

Hybrid View

Members +

CUSTOM SCENERY

Often wondered ,if there were ways to get ones home airstrip made to reflect reality...For many years I flew from SKYTOP NY03 Roscoe NY...A Grass strip ,on a mountain..In FSX its totally incorrect.Reality is ,its a One Way Grass Strip,which when taking off its like going off a Cliff of which it is...I would pay a fee for this,as this place has great sentimental value for me,as I sit here in the Bone Yard Of Fl...Thanx..Vin.<label for="rb_iconid_24"></label>

http://www.airnav.com/airport/NY03

Sure, it's easy/peazy, LOL. What part is important to you, the way it looks in real life from the air, or that plus the buildings, objects, etc. What do you have that in not default FSX, landclass? UTX, FTXG, GEX, what mesh? i ask as all this will effect the results you want. you can buy the megascenery v2 NY state and it will be like flying over the real thing, but flat, LOL.
    Best, Michael

Members +
    Thanx Michael...This is an almost primitive strip...somewhat like an Ironing Board sticking off a a table.with high trees on both sides!.At the South end,the Tops of the hundred ft trees are below you..So Landing only North is required. Taking off to the South is also required! Wind always a factor!There is ,by the road,one non discript ranch house..a one plane hanger, a Mobil home out back right ..Currently a Huge Log home is being built.part way down the runway....would not need to look at that.It should look like a narrow green ribbon from the air..on the ground facing south? no obstructions can see three states...To the north? butts on the local road!. High trees...if any scenery reflecting most of this exists? i would not hesitate to acquire it..That if I knew where to find it.Again thanx for your reply and questions..Vin<label for="rb_iconid_24"></label>

OK, 5 minutes work. Obviously after looking at it in default FSX, the mountain top issue is something that will have to be addressed. Hopefully having a quality mesh product like FSGenesis or FSGlobal will fix that, but otherwise, the photoreal part is easy, I can blend this with the default, add autogen and adjust the AFCAD and make the default runway be invisible if you want.

Best, Michael

Members +
    Oh my gosh.!!..What you say is great...Its a beautiful place SKYTOP...really no marked strip just grass from road to the end..Main reality is the unobstructed Take off to the South...One can dip below the runway here.Thanx Much for your interest....Vin!<label for="rb_iconid_24"></label>

No problem Vin. in looking at the AFCAD, there are 3 large tanks on a hilltop nearbuy, they kinda stand out, you want me to leave those or delete them? Also since it seems you don't have any mesh installed, I can raise the elevation of the airport a bit to give it that cliff look you want, just let me know.
    If you have any images of the buildings/objects that are the property I can see about making a few objects.
    Best, Michael

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by MCDesigns View Post
    No problem Vin. in looking at the AFCAD, there are 3 large tanks on a hilltop nearbuy, they kinda stand out, you want me to leave those or delete them? Also since it seems you don't have any mesh installed, I can raise the elevation of the airport a bit to give it that cliff look you want, just let me know.
    If you have any images of the buildings/objects that are the property I can see about making a few objects.
    Elevation most important...any buildings not too important..A road side Ranch house,a single hanger close to it, some what behind it a Mobile Home..,a wind sock,where new consrtuction is shown in GOOGLE Pic would round it out beautifuly....Thanx Michael

OK, 5 minutes work. Obviously after looking at it in default FSX, the mountain top issue is something that will have to be addressed. Hopefully having a quality mesh product like FSGenesis or FSGlobal will fix that, but otherwise, the photoreal part is easy, I can blend this with the default, add autogen and adjust the AFCAD and make the default runway be invisible if you want.
    Your water masking is a bit poor.

Joke. Sorry Michael, I just couldn't resist with this one.

Seriously, it is amazing what you can guys do so quickly. I haven't fiddled with sceneries pretty much ever, but I really need to look into photoreal and sketchup stuff sometimes. But not until I've finished gauges with Piglet's Skyraiders. As a complete n00b, I already have a small trouble with reflections on the rotating gauges...

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrunt View Post
    Your water masking is a bit poor.

Joke. Sorry Michael, I just couldn't resist with this one.
    I was using Sim-savvy photoreal as my example, LOL. (no water masking)

Once you do something a few times, it isn't a big deal. I have over a TB of photoreal airports d/led for reference. Doing the base is the easy part, it's the masks, the night and the seasonal textures that are a pain, especially with large areas.
    Best, Michael

I was using Sim-savvy photoreal as my example, LOL. (no water masking)

Once you do something a few times, it isn't a big deal. I have over a TB of photoreal airports d/led for reference. Doing the base is the easy part, it's the masks, the night and the seasonal textures that are a pain, especially with large areas.
    By the way, how FSX handles the water mask? Is it a some black/white image of the certain texture tile (that is land is white, water is black or vice versa) and water mask texture is just marked as a mask somehow (filename?)? If it is, I can understand the pain, especially for larger coastal areas.

Members who have read this thread: 1