I wish to announce my retirement - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I wish to announce my retirement

Hi Pat,

(and everybody else reading here),

I usually do not react on these sort of posts, as I see them all the time in the various forums. But since I know Pat......

As a developer and publisher I appreciate the time, enthusiasm and skills put into the hobby. YOUR time most certainly included. I figure that any time someone wants to repaint one of our products, it MUST mean we produced something worth painting....... that's good to know, and it is also good for sales. Heck, even if it should be a bad paint (and I haven't seen any), it still attracts attention. The old adage that even bad publicity is better than no publicity comes to mind.

Having been in this hobby for over 35 years now and in business for more than 15, and I too had a time when I would get all worked up over what people would write. Not anymore. I do my thing, I try to have fun in doing it (although the current economic recession is making that hard if it is not only your hobby) and I tend to go my own way.

This is a hobby that MANY people share, no matter in what way, and as I see it there are plenty of folks appreciating their fellow hobbyists. My advice is to stick with THOSE and ignore the ones that are on a different frequency.

That goes for EVERYTHING in life, actually And life's too short to get worked up over these things. Hope to stay in touch, Pat

Francois
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

Yes I'm with the majority - and you KNOW who we are. Stay on track and stuff him.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

It is very sad to see another talented repainter give up.

Everybody who share his work with the comunity should be honored - without looking at the level of his skills ! The best skill that all repainters have is - they do all their efforts for free and for the comunity of flightsim-enthusiasts.

Dirk

Pat,

I wouldn't take it so hard. You're doing your paints (and nice ones too) because you like doing them, so why stop because of someone else's remark that wasn't even aimed at you?
    Besides, them paint fumes are mighty addictive, you don't want to go to long without them...

JanKees
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Charter Member 2012
    It will be a shame if you don't share your repaints as they are usually much better than the ones I produce (and much better than someone else could mention who should not throw stones on these forums!) and if you are taking that long to do them then you are much more dedicated than I am!

that's now what? 2...3 painters who have left the public frame because of the insult...

...seriously now, someone needs to wake up and smell the f****** coffee! not having a rant just airing my view

....sad to see you stop painting for the public Pat, but at times, we do what we must....:salute:

Sorry to see you stopping Pat... Keep doing it for yourself, not anyone else, do it for the enjoyment, not to provide a 'service' to anyone.
    Good luck.

Got in this late
    Sorry to hear your decision AssieMan, I understand and wish you the best in the future. it seems that it is getting more difficult to please the flight community anymore, not in just this the FSX, but others too.

S!

Master of Disaster
    So the rest of us suffer because of one.......
    If government was the answer, it was a stupid question!

Quote Originally Posted by MudMarine View Post
    So the rest of us suffer because of one.......
    precisely my view.... it's a joke, a really poor excuse of a joke, but a joke nonetheless....

No longer active
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven190 View Post
    Sorry to hear your decision AssieMan, I understand and wish you the best in the future. it seems that it is getting more difficult to please the flight community anymore, not in just this the FSX, but others too
    Unfortunately I have to agree with you.

Well I bet we've all got some of your repaints Pat and it will be us who suffer when you stop publishing them so think again please:ernae:
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Just wanted to add my support for AussieMan (whose Beaufort repaints have graced my GoldenWings install for a good many years) and the other painters who are reconsidering their position as a result of that recent post.

I'm a mere dabbler, little more than a decaller really (I liked that ) but I've produced a couple of things that have met with some degree of appreciation over the years; however I decided just over a year ago not to upload here any longer, for reasons I made quite clear to the site administrators and moderators at the time (the Dragon Rapide I uploaded last week was a one off, for the benefit of a particular poster) - so I'm not going to say "reconsider", because I understand exactly why you are doing this. I just want to say, thanks for all the hard work, and maybe one day we can all find a new home where things are more harmonious.
    Andy

I am confused. this is the internet! Why are people so upset about something they read on a forum on the INTERNET. Remember anyone can say anything on the INTERNET. My suggestion would be to ignore anything you don't like and file it in the same folder as the email from the Prince in the Congo that thinks you are very honest and would like to deposit $1M in your account.

Dave

Unhappy Reply...

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    As no apology appears to be forthcoming following the insult to repainters yesterday by fsxar177 I wish to announce that I am no longer going to repaint aircraft for the flight sim community.

While I am basically a novice repainter I got great pleasure seeing screenshots of my repaints flying about in the FS skies. To do a repaint is not just a simple matter of splashing a coat of paint on a model. There is the time involved researching a particular colour scheme and sometimes creating a paint kit from scratch. Some paint kits are produced with one or two layers only and therefore there is the added time creating new layers. One repaint I have been working on for nine months trying to get it right and at the moment I am getting it ready to put in a zip file and send it to the developer for him to look at and see if he can help me.

I am not putting my paint brushes away completely as I will doing paints for myself. There are a couple of developers who, if they think my work is good enough I will work with them but other than that I am finished.
    AussieMan,

While I respect your decision, please reconsider having the actions of one person having such a detrimental effect that they discourage you from this.
    However, if this is your final decision, many thanks for all of your efforts, and may you have continued happiness as you move into the future.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Blog Entries

sometimes one cannot see the forest for....

Quote Originally Posted by Sieggie View Post
    I am confused. this is the internet! Why are people so upset about something they read on a forum on the INTERNET. Remember anyone can say anything on the INTERNET. My suggestion would be to ignore anything you don't like and file it in the same folder as the email from the Prince in the Congo that thinks you are very honest and would like to deposit $1M in your account.

Dave
    Pardon my intrusion... but one thing is clear to me... I tried to follow this thread and cannot make heads or tails of
    Aussieman's reasons... i.e.: there are a bunch of responses as to how he should or should not react... BUT NOWHERE
    is there a quote of the disparaging remarks made by whoever this admin person is... in other words... the whole
    thread seems to assume one SHOULD know what the original remarks were... just like arguing men and wives...
    In my opinion... the root of the problem is merely the assumption that EVERYONE knows what they are talking about...
    Well, gentlemen... I found my curiosity picked by the subject to see what can so offend anyone... and I haven't found out
    yet... My diagnosis... (yes I am a retired doctor) is this: Folks tend to be sort of "clicky"... start using jargon and words
    only THEY know about... and that makes any outsider feel like that... AN OUTSIDER... in other words... alienates folks...
    Taking is a little step further... this degenerates into a sort of disease... we only hear what we want to hear... or agrees with
    our thinking.. and dismiss anything outside that circle... ergo... we make remarks that only hurt OTHERS... but WE think are
    perfectly righteous... Whatever the disparaging remarks were... we need to keep them UP FRONT were they can be seen,
    so then we can opine, feel happy or distressed, etc. Let us not do like the 3 blind men trying to describe the animal by
    the little feel they cop with their hands...

Quote Originally Posted by gaucho_59 View Post
    Pardon my intrusion... but one thing is clear to me... I tried to follow this thread and cannot make heads or tails of
    Aussieman's reasons... i.e.: there are a bunch of responses as to how he should or should not react... BUT NOWHERE
    is there a quote of the disparaging remarks made by whoever this admin person is... in other words... the whole
    thread seems to assume one SHOULD know what the original remarks were... just like arguing men and wives...
    In my opinion... the root of the problem is merely the assumption that EVERYONE knows what they are talking about...
    Well, gentlemen... I found my curiosity picked by the subject to see what can so offend anyone... and I haven't found out
    yet... My diagnosis... (yes I am a retired doctor) is this: Folks tend to be sort of "clicky"... start using jargon and words
    only THEY know about... and that makes any outsider feel like that... AN OUTSIDER... in other words... alienates folks...
    Taking is a little step further... this degenerates into a sort of disease... we only hear what we want to hear... or agrees with
    our thinking.. and dismiss anything outside that circle... ergo... we make remarks that only hurt OTHERS... but WE think are
    perfectly righteous... Whatever the disparaging remarks were... we need to keep them UP FRONT were they can be seen,
    so then we can opine, feel happy or distressed, etc. Let us not do like the 3 blind men trying to describe the animal by
    Dig down to page 2 of the fsx forum and the locked item about repainters is the start of the tiff.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by gaucho_59 View Post
    Can I see a vet instead?

Reply...

Firekitten,

Very funny, but I sent him a PM to catch him up.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Blog Entries

Thanks again....

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    Firekitten,

Very funny, but I sent him a PM to catch him up.
    Thank you for the explanation Rami.... YOU ARE THE FIRST PERSON TO MAKE ANY SENSE!!!
    Personally, I would not take offense... and feel they are basically responsibly stated remarks...
    I try to excel at what I do... and used to professionally do... ANESTHESIA... lol so I perfectly understand where the staff member comes from...
    it is basically true... some hastily done repaints DO detract from the original work... but then again... nobody is perfect...
    Perhaps if the original statement were uttered less sanctimoniously... sort of the Bin Ladin et al pointing little index finger...
    it would have gone unchallenged ...

Thanks again... I exchanged 3 PMs with a certain Dave and never got an answer... just a referral to a post..
    to me... poor savage beginner... a needle in a haystack...
    and at least to me.. proved the validity of my point... We often hear only what WE WANT to hear...
    Arrivederci all,

Not everybody is 'forum savvy' and that is easily forgotten sometimes when one is on-line for most of one's life, as many here are ;-)
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

nothing but losers, grown people acting like children. wahhh, I think I'll go stand in the corner and whine. over a lousy paint for a lousy computer game. Enough is enough.

When words fail to describe dismay, there is always................

Attachment 91527

Hang on there Aussieman :-) We retired Gentlemen need to stick together here and have fun in our own way. We all have differing opinions; some folks are better than others keeping them to themselves. :-) Enjoy life the way you want to.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners