OMG It FLOATS!!... ::lol:: - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: OMG It FLOATS!!... ::lol::

Blog Entries
    So you guys have -probably been wondering what i've been doing the last couple days since i've been so quiet.. Floundering would be the truth of it, though in that floundering, we've made some good headway.. Regardless of the sound, The engines are no longer turbine based, and the props are fixed.
    The throtte works in conjunction with the F1 - F4 keys which provide your power band settings for low speed through emergency speed. The throttle itself divides the the joystck throttle in half with foward being from 50% throttle to 100% and reverse being 50% throttle to 0%, with 50% throttle being Idle.. Speeds range from complete stop, through the "oh my god if you dont slow down we're all gonna die anyway " range.. I still have to get it to back out of a slip, so thats next..
    In the mean time.. I'm no videographer so i apologize for the bumps jiggles false start and abrupt ending, but none the less, I hope you enjoy..

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawk72s View Post
    I noticed with engine start-up there is a brief puff of smoke.
    From what I can tell this is happening just about where the stbd. underwater exhaust is..?
    How is this happening as I don't see any smoke or effect defined in the aircraft.cfg.
    Probably a fall back effect to compensate for the lack of effects that were defined in the aircraft.cfg.
    Origin is the engine location, as defined in the aircraft.cfg (same for engine fires, btw).

From the drawing the two exhausts on the port side are under water with some form of water discharge,
    above water line for each engine..?
    Looks about right. Exhaust under water -> no smoke -> less observability.

(A one way valve ensures water tightness when no exhaust gas pressure is present, in case you're wondering.)

Blog Entries
    There are actually several puffs of smoke happening.. Yes, there are the three smoke trails coming off the engines, but Steves bow wave effect also uses smoke as part of the effect.. in fact, all of the smoke generated is part of the various wake and bow effects that the boat currently uses.. That will change as I port this over to P3D . I havent had a lot of time to look at it, but something tells me that P3D is going to be a little bit more complex that just hanging floats under the boat and adding a special effect.

Last night, I found the original mesh for the boat. I'll need to tool up, but it means we can finish the boat and correct all the errors and animations, as well as do a complete UV map and bring you all new textures. It should also allow me to do a native port to P3D, where once its there, I can turn around and update the FSX FDE..

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    ......Last night, I found the original mesh for the boat. I'll need to tool up, but it means we can finish the boat and correct all the errors and animations, as well as do a complete UV map and bring you all new textures. It should also allow me to do a native port to P3D, where once its there, I can turn around and update the FSX FDE..
    Congratulations..!
    Very good news.......

effects

I corrected the textures and effects for overboard discharge.

EDIT: I now have each drain effect associated with its own engine..
    Shut one engine down, the effect stops.

Discovered back in 2009.
    http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/thr...moke-fx.14592/
    Last edited by Seahawk72s; October 9th, 2017 at 15:31.

Effects 2

Playing with more effects, strictly as proof of concept...
    Mild engine smoke while running, all 3 weapons fire plus the engine water discharge..

There are actually several puffs of smoke happening.. Yes, there are the three smoke trails coming off the engines, but Steves bow wave effect also uses smoke as part of the effect.. in fact, all of the smoke generated is part of the various wake and bow effects that the boat currently uses.. That will change as I port this over to P3D . I havent had a lot of time to look at it, but something tells me that P3D is going to be a little bit more complex that just hanging floats under the boat and adding a special effect.

Last night, I found the original mesh for the boat. I'll need to tool up, but it means we can finish the boat and correct all the errors and animations, as well as do a complete UV map and bring you all new textures. It should also allow me to do a native port to P3D, where once its there, I can turn around and update the FSX FDE..

Pam, really happy that you found the source. I appreciate the efforts to resuscitate this project. Very nice indeed!
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Pam, really happy that you found the source. I appreciate the efforts to resuscitate this project. Very nice indeed!
    Thanks Milton.. It's a challenge, but i think i can do it.. Seriously.. With as much trouble as the engines alone are giving me, i'm glad it isnt more complicated :LOL: i took a look at max too.. its familiar and yet a lot of stuff i couldnt remember, so it'll be a challenge too, but thats ok..

As a lover of all things Schnellboote if you are in need of a P3D tester, please let me know!
    -building a new sig as you see this!-

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SH427 View Post
    As a lover of all things Schnellboote if you are in need of a P3D tester, please let me know!
    Consider yourself hired, but it'll be a while as P3D handles watercraft a whole lot differently than FSX does and I need to learn how to port it over..

Wake effects

I have "wake" effects based on smoke gauges with boat speed control but for some reason all "spray" effects tried
    just run all the time ignoring the gauge control.
    (Spray effect was commented out for two of the pics.

Any thoughts...?....

Blog Entries
    I'll be the first to admit that i am ignorant when it comes to effects.. But maybe someone here has some ideas..

I have "wake" effects based on smoke gauges with boat speed control but for some reason all "spray" effects tried
    just run all the time ignoring the gauge control.
    (Spray effect was commented out for two of the pics.

Any thoughts...?....
    Secondary problems using the "airspeed" based gauge.
    I am hoping someone at FSDevelopers can help...

I am far, very far, from being an XML programmer.
    Having said that, I did do some work on the FSX BA F-18 wing-tip vapor effects a while back. If I can be any help, just send me the gauges and effect files, and I can at least LOOK and see if I can figure out what's going on. At worst, I won't.
    The FSDEv forum members are a whole lot better than I am by far. I would definately agree that they're the ones to ask. Sometimes they can be a triffle slow on the response time. Not that I'm any better, just commenting...

Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Untested. The "5" is the speed limit above (or below) which the smoke system is toggled.

Code:
    <Gauge>
    <Element>
    <Select>
    <Value>
    (A:SURFACE RELATIVE GROUND SPEED, knots) 5 &gt; (A:SMOKE ENABLE, bool) ! and if{ (>K:SMOKE_TOGGLE) }
    (A:SURFACE RELATIVE GROUND SPEED, knots) 5 &lt; (A:SMOKE ENABLE, bool) and if{ (>K:SMOKE_TOGGLE) }
    </Value>
    </Select>
    </Element>
    </Gauge>

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Untested. The "5" is the speed limit above (or below) which the smoke system is toggled.
    Hi,
    Thanks but no joy....

Edit: I need to go back and look at all the gauges I've coded...
    Last edited by Seahawk72s; October 18th, 2017 at 15:21.

Edit: I need to go back and look at all the gauges I've coded...
    I re-coded all gauges and combined into 1 xml.
    Smoke and overboard discharges work on seperate engine RPM with spray and wake on boat speed.
    All looks good..

I compared what you posted to what I have for the F-18 LEX Vapor effects. I can see a few glaring differences, that may or may not matter. I really think they do, though.
    Here is the line from the Hornet's file:
    (L:Vapor Calculator, number) 1 &gt;
    (A:SMOKE ENABLE:10, bool) ! and
    (A:SMOKE ENABLE:11, bool) ! and
    if{ 10 (&gt;K:SMOKE_ON, enum) 11 (&gt;K:SMOKE_ON, enum) } els{ }
    and here is yours:
    (A:SURFACE RELATIVE GROUND SPEED, knots) 5 &gt; (A:SMOKE ENABLE, bool) ! and if{ (>K:SMOKE_TOGGLE) }

The L: var for the '18 is just the G force and ambient temperature requirements to enable the vapor. If the conditions are properly met, it returns a 1 to turn the smoke on. Then the section I posted turns on smoke entries 10 & 11. In yours, the surface relative ground speed is the triggering event, and turns on whichever smoke entry you're using. You don't specify which smoke entry in the aircraft.cfg [Smoke] Section is triggered, though: (A:SMOKE ENABLE:10, bool) vs (A:SMOKE ENABLE, bool). See the difference? You need to specify just what [smoke] section line entry you want to trigger, not just a [smoke] entry of some sort.
    Then, the section triggered in yours isn't specified again in the K: Var entry.
    if{ 10 (&gt;K:SMOKE_ON, enum) vs if{ (>K:SMOKE_TOGGLE) }.
    Also, I am not sure the K: var you're using is the right one. K:SMOKE_ON in the f-18 instead of K:SMOKE_TOGGLE in yours. Notice that in the F-18 one, the [Smoke] entry triggered is specified in the line, if{ 10 ... and in yours it's not, again.
    Last, that I see, for what that's worth, in the F-18 line, the entry goes (&gt;K:... but in yours it's just (>K:...

Do all these differences make a owl's hoot worth? I'm not, repeat NOT, an XML programmer, but all the things I pointed out, I believe, may be very significant.

No way will I even try to program your gauge, but maybe you can take a little look, and try making a few changes? Maybe see about making things match, or resemble would be a better word, a little more?

I hope all my babbling may be so some small assistance.
    Pat☺

EDIT: I see now I am way too late in my post. I apologise if I insulted your gauge coding capabilities. I meant no disrespect. I was just trying to help, is all...

Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    I compared what you posted to what I have for the F-18 LEX Vapor effects. I can see a few glaring differences, that may or may not matter. I really think they do, though.
    Here is the line from the Hornet's file:
    (L:Vapor Calculator, number) 1 &gt;
    (A:SMOKE ENABLE:10, bool) ! and
    (A:SMOKE ENABLE:11, bool) ! and
    if{ 10 (&gt;K:SMOKE_ON, enum) 11 (&gt;K:SMOKE_ON, enum) } els{ }
    and here is yours:

The L: var for the '18 is just the G force and ambient temperature requirements to enable the vapor. If the conditions are properly met, it returns a 1 to turn the smoke on. Then the section I posted turns on smoke entries 10 & 11. In yours, the surface relative ground speed is the triggering event, and turns on whichever smoke entry you're using. You don't specify which smoke entry in the aircraft.cfg [Smoke] Section is triggered, though: (A:SMOKE ENABLE:10, bool) vs (A:SMOKE ENABLE, bool). See the difference? You need to specify just what [smoke] section line entry you want to trigger, not just a [smoke] entry of some sort.
    Then, the section triggered in yours isn't specified again in the K: Var entry.
    if{ 10 (&gt;K:SMOKE_ON, enum) vs if{ (>K:SMOKE_TOGGLE) }.
    Also, I am not sure the K: var you're using is the right one. K:SMOKE_ON in the f-18 instead of K:SMOKE_TOGGLE in yours. Notice that in the F-18 one, the [Smoke] entry triggered is specified in the line, if{ 10 ... and in yours it's not, again.
    Last, that I see, for what that's worth, in the F-18 line, the entry goes (&gt;K:... but in yours it's just (>K:...

Do all these differences make a owl's hoot worth? I'm not, repeat NOT, an XML programmer, but all the things I pointed out, I believe, may be very significant.

No way will I even try to program your gauge, but maybe you can take a little look, and try making a few changes? Maybe see about making things match, or resemble would be a better word, a little more?

I hope all my babbling may be so some small assistance.
    Pat☺

EDIT: I see now I am way too late in my post. I apologise if I insulted your gauge coding capabilities. I meant no disrespect. I was just trying to help, is all...

Sorry, say what...?
    The code you mentioned isn't mine but a sample from Bjoern.
    This is my code.....for line items 7-11 under the smoke section...

Code:
    <Element>
            <Select>
                <Value>
                    (A:Airspeed select indicated or true,knots) 15 &gt;  if{ 7 (&gt;K:SMOKE_ON) } els{ 7 (&gt;K:SMOKE_OFF) }
                </Value>
            </Select>
        </Element>

<Element>
            <Select>
                <Value>
                    (A:Airspeed select indicated or true,knots) 15 &gt;  if{ 8 (&gt;K:SMOKE_ON) } els{ 8 (&gt;K:SMOKE_OFF) }
                </Value>
            </Select>
        </Element>

<Element>
            <Select>
                <Value>
                    (A:Airspeed select indicated or true,knots) 10 &gt;  if{ 9 (&gt;K:SMOKE_ON) } els{ 9 (&gt;K:SMOKE_OFF) }
                </Value>
            </Select>
        </Element>

<Element>
            <Select>
                <Value>
                    (A:Airspeed select indicated or true,knots) 10 &gt;  if{ 10 (&gt;K:SMOKE_ON) } els{ 10 (&gt;K:SMOKE_OFF) }
                </Value>
            </Select>
        </Element>

<Element>
            <Select>
                <Value>
                    (A:Airspeed select indicated or true,knots) 10 &gt;  if{ 11 (&gt;K:SMOKE_ON) } els{ 11 (&gt;K:SMOKE_OFF) }
                </Value>
            </Select>
        </Element>

Blog Entries
    ok, so, I am still going around in circles with enabling the boat too reverse. The real boat would have a transmission with a reverse setting in it like a car has, and simply reverse the rotational direction of the prop shaft, however, it seems fsx doesnt allow for that possibility. I'll work it out though..
    On another note. In the wheelhouse of the s-100 type, what i have modeled is correct, but incomplete. Off too the left of the throttles, theres a square box with some instruments in it. I've been searching the web for the past two hours looking for an image of either the box, the wheelhouse or both and have come up empty handed.. The current setup as I have it is way too simplified, but then, I never expected anyone to use the wheelhouse before.. kinda boring from in there, but i think we should have them.. and yeahh, I'm a bit defeated and a little upset at my gfailure to find images, but i'll keep looking.. Just hope i can remember how to model them once we find them..

ok, so, I am still going around in circles with enabling the boat too reverse. The real boat would have a transmission with a reverse setting in it like a car has, and simply reverse the rotational direction of the prop shaft, however, it seems fsx doesnt allow for that possibility. I'll work it out though..
    On another note. In the wheelhouse of the s-100 type, what i have modeled is correct, but incomplete. Off too the left of the throttles, theres a square box with some instruments in it. I've been searching the web for the past two hours looking for an image of either the box, the wheelhouse or both and have come up empty handed.. The current setup as I have it is way too simplified, but then, I never expected anyone to use the wheelhouse before.. kinda boring from in there, but i think we should have them.. and yeahh, I'm a bit defeated and a little upset at my gfailure to find images, but i'll keep looking.. Just hope i can remember how to model them once we find them..
    I'll scan my sources to see if I can pull anything at all up on the S-100's wheelhouse
    -building a new sig as you see this!-

Wheel House

I found this modeler who did extensive modifications to a model to try and get it right.
    Scroll down and see the hand built throttle out of aluminum and wheel house snaps.
    Who's to say if he got it exactly right...?
    As well take a look at the only wheel house photo I've seen. We know some of the S-38
    were retro-fitted with "skull caps" so you figure the helms have to be pretty similar. The model
    constructs seem to support this..

http://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/in-the-navy/44790-schnellboot-s-100?limit=8&start=240

Blog Entries
    the one wheelhouse in the images is either from an S-14 or s-20 type. My guess is S-14. however the other images are revealing.. I visited the link given and am impressed. the turtleback thats shown isnt just for an S-100, but rather it's from S-130; the last S-boot to survive the war..I think i can use those images to correct the existing model. It might make for a good distraction away from the fde for a bit..