OMG It FLOATS!!... ::lol:: - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: OMG It FLOATS!!... ::lol::

Blog Entries
    Oh Gods. Milton.. Thank you.. I must apologize as ive been a complete space cadet this afternoon.. running around all morning plain took it out of me i'm afraid..
    Now if anyone can take the mdl file and regress it back to an editable mesh, please feel free.. I no longer have 3ds max nor the skills to use it. I've changed a lot in the last five years. I'm sorry for that..
    Pam

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    .. However, with the exception of the red stripes on the fore deck, I am confident that this model below is painted correctly with the correct colors..

Oh, and the torpedoes on the model are wrong, but everyone gets that wrong because they're accustomed to American torpedo's
    Are there any other pictures of this model..?
    Any idea what the color is below the waterline..?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawk72s View Post
    Are there any other pictures of this model..?
    Any idea what the color is below the waterline..?
    Yes indeed. There are hundreds of images. Some of them are built by home builders, some by historians, some by kids who figured it would be fun to dabble.. Some have black bottoms which are not likely to have been done as black lead was not that abundant. Some are red lead, and are painted red on the model, and some are the correct red lead showing a slight copper color. It's this last that i believe is historically correct as red lead was abundant and very effective against toredo worms in shallow bay area's. Toredo worms are the nemesis of wooden boats. they bore into the wood then sideways through the grain while they multiply.. At som point the bottom detaches from the ship and you have a mess..
    There are also black and whirtes taken at Cherbourgh in WWII bt someone with better eyes than I would have to look at the waterline and see if they detect more than a black line with a red bottom..

https://www.google.com/search?q=Krie...ih=638#imgrc=_

Blog Entries
    and then theres this thing.. Everything on this model is correct from the ammo cns on the frot 20mm to the 40mm flak gun in the back. You really dont want to know how much it costs.. The Italeri Schnellboot S-100. its almost a legend by itself..

Ah, that beautiful 3 ft monster of a kit! Amazingly enough they also did a PT boat and a Vosper MTB in 1/35 scale too. All are still available with a little searching although the S-100 is now running around $200. I've found the PT and MTB at around $110, actually not too bad considering the prices of scale models these days.

Blog Entries
    thats actually a good price for the MTB and the PT.. But 200 dollars for a model?? Thats a little pricey

Blog Entries
    Seahawk.. Here's the grey I was talking about. Not too far off white, but enough to make everything pop on th page.. And my apologies about not getting it last night. I was pretty wiped out and confused..

Blog Entries
    Currently downloading the solomons scenery for testing the boat. I made a few changes to the FDE and changed the wake effect. I'm still looking for something that does an even remotely believable bow wake.. The boat is slightly faster at the moment, which to be honest, may not be historical, but island hopping in the solomons its a god sent miracle.. However, I'll drop that down later to its historical value of 44 knots ( of which the survivors who were on the ship, swear it never went over 42 ). The problem is that the prow rides too low. The engines would push this boat up out of the water by a good two feet on full speed. Our little boat didnt even come out of the water.. So, now i'm playing around trying to get the boat to behave like its real life counterpart.. Mostly I'm doing amateur stuff while I relearn or try to relearn the skills i lost. Please bear with me..

WIP

First Pass

Blog Entries
    ::LOL:: You nailed that deck texture. Great job..
    The beautiful thing about these boats, is that the way they were painted was left completely up to the Korvettenkapitän ( OK, i copied and pasted because I cant spell it ::LOL:: ), or, in other words the skipper of the boat. I can only assume that it was "highly" recommended that they follow the guidelines set forth by the kriegsmarine. for the most part though, wht you have in the above pictures, is the typical coloration. Sometimes the skippers initials would be painted in the side of the pilot house, most times they werent.

New textures

Look to PM for link to new textures...

whataya think??

Very nice..!
    Going to put your initials on the bridge...?

Blog Entries
    Very nice..!
    Going to put your initials on the bridge...?
    Nahhh... If it wasnt for you it wouldnt look like this.. I like it. I just added the correct insignia on the outside ..

Fantasy

A non realistic set of bridge controls, but its fun to have separate control over the three engines.
    Now if I can figure out an overboard discharge tied to the engines..

Mounted a set of landing/spot lights near the running lights.
    No idea where the S-100 would have carried a spot light.

Blog Entries
    I was thinking about that today. Yes, it's a type 100 schnellboot. It is historically accurate in a few ways, but theres where it ends. The boat rides on four pontoons acting like hydrofoils to support and lift it because if they werent there, the ship would fall straight through the water. The props are constant speed because you cant reverse the transmisions or even go into neutral. You can reverse constant sped props only. How do you reduce the speed of a constant speed prop? You reduce the rpm and the manifold pressure. And therein lies the rub. It's true the engineer had a complete wall of gauges that gave him the data on the engines, and I'm sure rpm and manifold pressure are amongst them, but i've only got a very simple set of gauges in the wheelhouse. So, to slow this boat down, you reduce the throttle AND the rpm. To stop it, you reverse the props.. It mimics a boat very well, and I'll admit, i'm quite proud of my accomplishment, Bit there are so many areas where its operation takes a distinct left turn at Albuquerque it isnt funny.. The panel is definitely not period and I would prefer it in the wheelhouse, but without taking the model apart, thats pretty impossible. still, what i need is an rpm gauge and a manifold pressure gauge.. thats pretty much all I need in the conning tower above the wheelhouse. Speed I dont worry about. The boat can cruise 795 miles round trip ( hmmm, autopilot?? ) I can get around 460 - 530 miles a full speed. Like I said in my PM, full speed right now is 52 knots because FSX keeps lowering the boat down to forty knots, for over a third of the time. the two speeds average out somewhere around 44 knots constant. sill, spending a few hours on flat water is almost as boring as sitting at 40000 feet at night time for a long haul flight. It's the rivers, canals and passages that get exciting. and thats where you nee those gauges..
    Anyway, I'm exhausted and talking in circles.. I'm sorry.. I think the gauges are great.. Thank you ..
    talk soon
    Pam

PS.. The S-100 didnt carry a spotlight, and yes, a fw ended up on a river bank here and there.. If anything, there would have been a hand held signal light in the coning tower. The S-10 series hd spotlights and probably the S-15 and 15 as well, but this model didnt have one..

I was thinking about that today. Yes, it's a type 100 schnellboot. It is historically accurate in a few ways, but theres where it ends. The boat rides on four pontoons acting like hydrofoils to support and lift it because if they werent there, the ship would fall straight through the water. The props are constant speed because you cant reverse the transmisions or even go into neutral. You can reverse constant sped props only. How do you reduce the speed of a constant speed prop? You reduce the rpm and the manifold pressure. And therein lies the rub. It's true the engineer had a complete wall of gauges that gave him the data on the engines, and I'm sure rpm and manifold pressure are amongst them, but i've only got a very simple set of gauges in the wheelhouse. So, to slow this boat down, you reduce the throttle AND the rpm. To stop it, you reverse the props.. It mimics a boat very well, and I'll admit, i'm quite proud of my accomplishment, Bit there are so many areas where its operation takes a distinct left turn at Albuquerque it isnt funny.. The panel is definitely not period and I would prefer it in the wheelhouse, but without taking the model apart, thats pretty impossible. still, what i need is an rpm gauge and a manifold pressure gauge.. thats pretty much all I need in the conning tower above the wheelhouse. Speed I dont worry about. The boat can cruise 795 miles round trip ( hmmm, autopilot?? ) I can get around 460 - 530 miles a full speed. Like I said in my PM, full speed right now is 52 knots because FSX keeps lowering the boat down to forty knots, for over a third of the time. the two speeds average out somewhere around 44 knots constant. sill, spending a few hours on flat water is almost as boring as sitting at 40000 feet at night time for a long haul flight. It's the rivers, canals and passages that get exciting. and thats where you nee those gauges..
    Anyway, I'm exhausted and talking in circles.. I'm sorry.. I think the gauges are great.. Thank you ..
    talk soon
    Pam

PS.. The S-100 didnt carry a spotlight, and yes, a fw ended up on a river bank here and there.. If anything, there would have been a hand held signal light in the coning tower. The S-10 series hd spotlights and probably the S-15 and 15 as well, but this model didnt have one..

I need to rethink the panel.
    3 RPM and 3 Manifold pressure gauges no problem.
    Do you want throttle handles..? That will be more difficult...for a single throw that can move into reverse...

I could do a quasi pop-up engineer panel with the rest of the instruments..

Blog Entries
    Do you want throttle handles..? That will be more difficult...for a single throw that can move into reverse...

Nahh, I dont need throttles.. I gotta admit though, that panel in your picture sure looks sweet.
    Reardinh the weird projection above the center view port, It doesnt exist. Its one of those gimmicks that companies sometimes use to make you feel like your getting something authentic, when in reality you arent: like the blue bathing suit on the girl on Lady in the dark.. Proper color is red..

Stop the Boat

Quote: 'To stop it, you reverse the props..'

Well FSX lets you use the spoiler as a 'water brake' if you make 'spoiler=59.989' in cfg and 'spoiler drag=3000' (or 5000) in air file. You can be moving at 40 kts on, say, approach to a river bank, deploy the spoiler, and then reduce throttle and go into reverse while turning the wheel to do neat manuevering.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    [SIGPIC]i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD-5700 1 Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Acer 23 in LCD, Windows XP SP2, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse[/SIGPIC]

S100 Wheelhouse

Possible S100 wheel house before armored "Skull Cap" was fitted..

Since the shape is the same as the running lights, I assume it's the white top light.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Since the shape is the same as the running lights, I assume it's the white top light.

Thanks... I can't think off any FS light that would be limited like that...

Blog Entries
    yeah, the mast top light is located at the top of the mast, behind and right of center of the conning station ( tower?? where the captain stands ). It's mostly used for in port night time deck work.

Blog Entries
    So now i've done it. i've gone and let the devil in the door. I found basic data on the engines today. OOPs!!.. 14 feet long, 5.5 feet wide, 7 feet high, 20 cylinders, 8000 cu/in displacement, supercharged, 2500 hp @ 1630 rpm monsters. On my first test run, I reached the moon. so, I'm back to the basics, and all because i want the thing to slow down and stop when i reduce the throttle to zero. Oy.. also it doesnt roll for ****e. this is a wet deck boat with a narrow round bottom. It should roll when you go into a turn. I'll be working on that as well, once i can drive it again.