OMG It FLOATS!!... ::lol:: - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: OMG It FLOATS!!... ::lol::

Wow drool

and I will now do my Daffy Duck imitation of pulling in my tongue which is lolling for miles this is superb crisp beautiful and all really looking forwad to this. A question which might get me flamed lol but here I go is there any chance it would be backward compatible with us over on Fs9 please say yes that it would be possible if not well might have to go FSX for this one at least for a bit

Akktu

Blog Entries
    Oh Gods srgalahad, Your absolutely correct. Until i saw your post with the images and the paragraoh defining the cockpit construction i never connected that those tubes were speaking tubes. I didnt know what they were to be honest, but was leaning towards assuming they were wire conduits of some form ( like the corrugated tubes in the P-61 ). Thank you for clarifying that.. I would have been making a major mistake in my construction..

Maybe i can put the co-pilot seat in the cockpit..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Akktu Stakki04 View Post
    and I will now do my Daffy Duck imitation of pulling in my tongue which is lolling for miles this is superb crisp beautiful and all really looking forwad to this. A question which might get me flamed lol but here I go is there any chance it would be backward compatible with us over on Fs9 please say yes that it would be possible if not well might have to go FSX for this one at least for a bit

Akktu
    Oh god's Akktu, I really dont know.. No really, i relly dont know. This is my first model for flight simulator. I still have to learn how to animate AND how to texture ( none on there yet, its a raw model your seeing ). Even right now it wouldnt run in fs9 though because theres no textures. I'll see what i can do, but with the learning curve ive given myself already, its probably not going to happen for an fs9 model as that would require learning an entirely seperate SDK and finding a version of Max that can support that SDK.

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    Oh Gods srgalahad, Your absolutely correct. Until i saw your post with the images and the paragraoh defining the cockpit construction i never connected that those tubes were speaking tubes. I didnt know what they were to be honest, but was leaning towards assuming they were wire conduits of some form ( like the corrugated tubes in the P-61 ). Thank you for clarifying that.. I would have been making a major mistake in my construction..

Maybe i can put the co-pilot seat in the cockpit..
    CO-PILOT + 1....sounds great..!:salute:
    MFC-27/migbait

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trowelmaster View Post
    @ srgalahad :It' perfect for Underway/NavalEngagement...!:mixedsmi:
    Want a laugh?? The original designation for the S-boats was a U, so you had U-36, U-523 etc.. These boats were used for laying mines and ASW work. It wasn until S-1 was reclassified as a torpedo boat that they ship gained the now famous S designation.

Want a laugh?? The original designation for the S-boats was a U, so you had U-36, U-523 etc.. These boats were used for laying mines and ASW work. It wasn until S-1 was reclassified as a torpedo boat that they ship gained the now famous S designation.
    In 1928, in light of these limitations and the dismal North Sea weather, Naval command elected to concentrate strictly on a round bottomed displacement hull. Their attention was drawn to Oheka II , a highly innovative luxury motor yacht built in 1927 by the German boatyard Luerssen for a Jewish banking tycoon who emmigrated to the United States from Germany. The name "Oheka" originated from a monogram of its owner's name, Otto HErmann KAhn. It's round bottomed hull was 22.5 m long, and displaced 22.5 tons. It reached a top speed of 34 knots, making it the world's fastest boat in its class. There is no basis in fact for the common misconception that Oheka II was a "rum runner" used for smuggling.
    In Oheka II, Luerrsen overcame many of the drawbacks of the round bottomed displacement hull. The boat ploughed through the water by the brute force of three 550hp Maybach engines. The composite use of wood planks over alloy frames reduced weight. The innefficient tendency for round hulls to "squat" stern-down in the water at high speeds was counterbalanced by a hull form that flattened towards the stern, providing hydrodynamic lift where it was needed. Oheka II's combination of speed, strength and seaworthyness was exactly what Naval command wanted. In November 1929, Luerssen was given a contract to build a boat to the same basic design, but with two torpedo tubes on the forecastle, and a slightly improved top speed. It was to become S-1, the Kriegsmarine's first Schnellboot and the basis for the all other S-Boats built during World War 2.
    MFC-27/migbait

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trowelmaster View Post
    In 1928, in light of these limitations and the dismal North Sea weather, Naval command elected to concentrate strictly on a round bottomed displacement hull. Their attention was drawn to Oheka II , a highly innovative luxury motor yacht built in 1927 by the German boatyard Luerssen for a Jewish banking tycoon who emmigrated to the United States from Germany. The name "Oheka" originated from a monogram of its owner's name, Otto HErmann KAhn. It's round bottomed hull was 22.5 m long, and displaced 22.5 tons. It reached a top speed of 34 knots, making it the world's fastest boat in its class. There is no basis in fact for the common misconception that Oheka II was a "rum runner" used for smuggling.
    In Oheka II, Luerrsen overcame many of the drawbacks of the round bottomed displacement hull. The boat ploughed through the water by the brute force of three 550hp Maybach engines. The composite use of wood planks over alloy frames reduced weight. The innefficient tendency for round hulls to "squat" stern-down in the water at high speeds was counterbalanced by a hull form that flattened towards the stern, providing hydrodynamic lift where it was needed. Oheka II's combination of speed, strength and seaworthyness was exactly what Naval command wanted. In November 1929, Luerssen was given a contract to build a boat to the same basic design, but with two torpedo tubes on the forecastle, and a slightly improved top speed. It was to become S-1, the Kriegsmarine's first Schnellboot and the basis for the all other S-Boats built during World War 2.
    And she's still beautiful to this very day..

I think perhaps you may also enjoy reading through this site ( http://www.prinzeugen.com/DesignManufacture.htm ). It has tons of information nd some surprising facts, such as the version of th boat built by Lurrsen for the Bulgarian navy.

Way ahead of you Pam, thank's though....
    MFC-27/migbait

Hidden Gem

Hi,
    Such a beautiful design, have you thought of bringing her back out from the yard...?

Scenes from WarThunder...

https://warthunder.com/en/news/4204-...of-the-seas-en

Blog Entries
    They got THAT in war thunder?? They sure know how too tease someone.. Truth is Yes! I have given it a great deal of thought. Theres three things that are stopping me right now.. I just got rid of a dangerous virus from my system. In the end it cost me almost everything i had, including possibly, the meshes for this boat. Theres one drive thats not in my computer at the moment. On one partition, theres the virus, on the other partition, theres a ton of my applications and files, and hopefully, the mesh will be on there. the second thing i need is a modeler willing to button up all the places where theres gaps in the mesh. Mostly at junctions where a wall meets or runs into another wall.. Not really noticeable but i can see them.. Also wouldnt mind having the pilot house fitted out better. My simpleton skills are no match for what this boat deserves. And lastly, it really needs someone who knows their way around making textures and uv maps.. Let me try and find people who can do those things, once i find the mesh, and i'll be happy to re-release it..

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    I keep getting invalid link specified.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Blog Entries
    I dont know which version your trying to get.. I thought i had uploaded it here, but i could be mistaken. I dont remember so well any more. However it doesnt exist on this server any more. In fact, even Lazarus's S-15 is gone.. Not sure whats up with that.. .There is a version available on the web, but the guy fiddleed with the model and removed the compass from th flying bridge and centering the view point instead of having it in the customary captains position on the left.He also made it umm, tiger striped.. :h well..

One thing i can say for certain. If the blurb states its a highly detailed ship, its the modified version. I would never say that about anything i build that isnt made out of numbers..

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    That's because this is a necro post. This post was from 2013 and now it's back from the grave.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I can appreciate your frustration, not only with the virus's impact but the position of the helmsman and his limited visibility.
    I decided to try an upgrade to the Riva 2D panel, put in some German gauges and a different view. Its a WIP solely for enjoyment
    and has no basis for reality. The crew also enjoys water skiing on sunny days as well...

Almost missed that the torpedo doors open....thanks...!

Blog Entries
    No thanks needed Seahawk. Originally, there were supposed to be two 53cm torpedo's coming out of those tubes, but i'm really only lucky with numbrs and with other things, not so good.. I couldnt figure out how to make an effct that would launch the torps.. for the time, i think i had some cutting edge idea's. I just didnt have the knowledge to pull it off.. OOps!.. I still have my fingers crossed that its on one of these drives laying around here.. ..

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    Me too...unable to open pictures on post #1
    "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"
    Regards

Blog Entries
    Those picks would be over five years old by this time.. It's a whole new world for the outhouse, photobucket, everyone.. those links are gone not due to anyone mishandling of them, but the very nature of the web itself.

Links..

Here is Warchild's S-100, prebeta release.
    With his gracious permission of course....

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...kUtNU5sODQzZlk

A little paint

I've tried a little repaint and find myself really loving this boat.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you can find the resource files to bring her to fruition.
    Don't mind the color on the stern, that's just me finding what is where.

Its definitely a very nice model and thank you for doing a repaint for it!

Huub

Blog Entries
    I like the way that repaint brings out the detail on the boat. I used white because oddly enough, the Kriegsmarine found that white disappears against the water at night time ( truth ). Could you possibly do another repaint?? This one would be a much lighter grey over all with deep green grey fore and aft decks while the walkways too the left and right of the pilot house are wooden planks and the non slip planking below the guns are round.. If you could, that would be awesome.. Not sure about the red green and yellow on the mine ramp though ::lol::
    I hear someone made a bow wave effect, that this boat desperately needs.. She should have a bow wake coming half way up her freeboard as she plows her nose slightly into the air ( its a 200000 pound boat guys.. it doesnt fly well ).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Its definitely a very nice model and thank you for doing a repaint for it!

Huub
    Glad you and others are liking it Huub. Thank you .. it's very appreciated..

.... This one would be a much lighter grey over all with deep green grey fore and aft decks while the walkways too the left and right of the pilot house are wooden planks and the non slip planking below the guns are round..
    Can you do me a favor and give me a sample of the color grey and deep green you are looking for...?

I have been trying to add more wooden planks on and around the pilot house but I think some textures are missing.
    Using ModelConverterX I get errors about missing DDS texture files.

What I wish is that someone who knows what they are doing could check what objects are missing textures and map new ones.
    If you know someone who could help..?

Until that happens I'll try making some new texture files and rename to those missing. Pretty much hunt and peck.

Hi Pam,

I agree; well done model and yes, it floats and drives very well. :-) Nice "flight model".

I pulled it up in MCX and it does show some missing textures so if you find the source, maybe you can surface those missing texture names shown in the attachment.

SH72, if you look at the object report, it will show you what objects have materials. The objects that show a color are without materials.

You can isolate those objects to see which ones they are; there are many.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2017-oct-5-002.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Hi Pam,

I agree; well done model and yes, it floats and drives very well. :-) Nice "flight model".

I pulled it up in MCX and it does show some missing textures so if you find the source, maybe you can surface those missing texture names shown in the attachment.

SH72, if you look at the object report, it will show you what objects have materials. The objects that show a color are without materials.

You can isolate those objects to see which ones they are; there are many.
    Knowing how confused and lazy i was getting, I can only speculate that the objects without textures were assigned materials in 3DS Max, that were of that type and color material. At least this would b true for everything except the walkways to the left and right of the pilot house. Those were wood. whether they were dark or light to begin with i dont know as salt water has an interesting effect on different woods. I can speculate that they were some deeper color of mahogany as the entire ship is made from a very special and rather rare mahogany grown by the company who made the boats.
    As too the colors themselves, My reference materials from years ago were much different than whats available now. Mostly i had pictures of hyper expensive models with brass fittings to use for reference and historical documentation. However, with the exception of the red stripes on the fore deck, I am confident that this model below is painted correctly with the correct colors..

Oh, and the torpedoes on the model are wrong, but everyone gets that wrong because theyre accustomed to american torpedo's