F-4B and C Freeware model WIP shots - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: F-4B and C Freeware model WIP shots

PLEASE !!!! Do a bake for the textures. :salute:

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Warren View Post
    SIR With the flamboyant paints of the 60 and 70s , this is going to be a RIPPER <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
    I can't wait to see and preview this one here: http://www.aviation-art.net/Gallery%...wners%20F4.jpg
    Or, in a cuter version: http://blackheartart.com/Sundowner201wordsweb.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawka4m View Post
    PLEASE !!!! Do a bake for the textures. :salute:
    For sure. Since you have the source it should be easy. You can paint an aircraft completely white with a baked layer and it will look good. Without them, it's just white. They really add a dimension of "life" to the final finish. Ok, back to the paint booth.

Progress shots like awesome by the way. You have a winner here.
    :ernae:

Quote Originally Posted by SiR_RiPPER View Post
    I can't wait to see and preview this one here: http://www.aviation-art.net/Gallery%...wners%20F4.jpg
    Or, in a cuter version: http://blackheartart.com/Sundowner201wordsweb.jpg
    I think Blackheart's model looks more realistic ... just something about that modelling
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Warren View Post
    SIR With the flamboyant paints of the 60 and 70s , this is going to be a RIPPER <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
    Like this one being tested?
    Attachment 94186
    We're almost done with AO maps as far as the exterior goes. They really help the detail pop out of the model! There is yet some work to do.
    Spins dropped some decals on the aircraft to check for stretching and I took it for a flight as I thought it looked cool in those.
    I've posted another update on the dev blog (here), showing some nice details now that we have AO.

When you say you hope to do them all, does that include the RN and RAF versions? I hope so.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    When you say you hope to do them all, does that include the RN and RAF versions? I hope so.
    That would be marvellous, but we'll be happy with whatever is offered.

Dave

Hi,
    This is really a good looking paint scheme and your model looks great!
    Good luck for all the work to come and thank you for sharing!
    Regards,
    Sylvain

I have a question related to one of the shots in the blog. This is something that I asked about years ago and never really got an answer to it. One of the WIP shots is of the fwd cockpit looking straight ahead. It gives the illusion that we are only a few feet above the rwy, which if you've ever sat in the cockpit of an F-4, you know that's not the case. This isn't the only fighter that I've owned that gives that appearance of you almost sitting on the tarmac. Why is that and why isn't it possible to have the view appear higher (more correct)? Thanks!:salute:
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

All versions are up for consideration. Once the F-4B and RF-4B are out of the way, the rest are just modifications. We will follow McDonell's lineage, as this is the easiest way.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I have a question related to one of the shots in the blog. This is something that I asked about years ago and never really got an answer to it. One of the WIP shots is of the fwd cockpit looking straight ahead. It gives the illusion that we are only a few feet above the rwy, which if you've ever sat in the cockpit of an F-4, you know that's not the case. This isn't the only fighter that I've owned that gives that appearance of you almost sitting on the tarmac. Why is that and why isn't it possible to have the view appear higher (more correct)? Thanks!:salute:
    That seems to be an inherent problem of FSX. The VC is rendered on its own, the outside world on its own as well. Then the little bubble (VC) is moved into the big bubble (scenery) and the result is a wrong sense of scale. Think of it like sitting in one of those 360 degree Simpits. The image to the side and front is OK. When you look down you will notice the image stretching. That's almost the same as with FSX.

The only way to properly replicate it is to move the VC model higher than in reality, and it'll feel right in that regard. Cloud9's F-4 has that "issue". The height feels OK, but when parked next to another F-4, you can notice you're sitting much higher than you should.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I'm not sure if Alex has finalized the eyepoint yet, but the height and downward angle are likely factors. Outside references seem to be a factor as well. When I sit on a carrier, I get a sense that I'm sitting much higher.
    I'm sure it'll be adjusted, especially now that there are crew models that can be used for reference.

Jamal

Very different flight characteristics between the USN and AF models, the navy using additional high lift devices to bring the approach sipped down about 20 knots.

regards. T

No longer active
    Not really. E.g. the NAVY F-4B and the Air Force F-4C have identical flight controls/flap systems.
    An approximate 7kts approach speed reduction can be observed with the introduction of the drooped ailerons.

Quote Originally Posted by bstolle View Post
    Not really. E.g. the NAVY F-4B and the Air Force F-4C have identical flight controls/flap systems.
    An approximate 7kts approach speed reduction can be observed with the introduction of the drooped ailerons.
    Indeed, after AFC218, the inboard flap was locked up, the ailerons were drooped and the stabilators (elevators) were modded. That decreased approach speed to ~138KCAS from ~145KCAS @38000lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    Very different flight characteristics between the USN and AF models, the navy using additional high lift devices to bring the approach sipped down about 20 knots.

regards. T
    Both the naval and USAF variants benefitted from the later addition of leading edge slats, which helped increase low speed manoueverability while keeping the approach speed in the mid to high 130s range.

The British Phantoms, apart from some bought secondhand for the RAF, had different engines, and the RN ones had an extended nosewheel leg for catapulting from Ark Royal. It would be a bit more than a simple mod, I think.

The British Phantoms, apart from some bought secondhand for the RAF, had different engines, and the RN ones had an extended nosewheel leg for catapulting from Ark Royal. It would be a bit more than a simple mod, I think.
    Jamal has modeled the F-4 so that we can easily replace individual parts without too much hassle. In that regard, widening the intakes and replacing the engines and nosegear is going to be simple, compared to cutting through a solid model. We would like to make all of them, as we said, but this is a decision that factors in a lot of other variables, not to be discussed now.

BTW, is there a RL ex-pilot of the F-4B/C/N who would like to test fly this for us?

Jamal has modeled the F-4 so that we can easily replace individual parts without too much hassle. In that regard, widening the intakes and replacing the engines and nosegear is going to be simple, compared to cutting through a solid model. We would like to make all of them, as we said, but this is a decision that factors in a lot of other variables, not to be discussed now.
    Brilliant. Thank you.

Charter Member 2015

BTW, is there a RL ex-pilot of the F-4B/C/N who would like to test fly this for us?
    Maybe ask "jmig" from these forums. He flew the RF-4C iirc.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Greetings all,
    Just wanted to post up a small update of the Phantom. I have pretty much nearly completed all the shadow maps, and the plane is ready for program development and painting. Here are the latest pictures taken at Jim Daehaens (sp?) wonderfully awesome NAS Fallon.

Let me know what you all think!

Jamal

More photos from development on my flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27277424@N04/

The modeling and everything else looks stellar Jamal ! Mike :ernae:

That with out a dout is seriously SPOOKY <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

The inlet detail is outstanding. I also think the new 1/48 Academy kit comes molded in the same color!

OUTSTANDING!!!
    Best, Michael

Members who have read this thread: 206