The Shuttleworth Collection Flying Day 06/16 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Shuttleworth Collection Flying Day 06/16

Thanks for the comments and praise guys, always appreciated.

Also, some great info posted here too......which is why I choose this place as one of only a few I'll post all of these. Always interesting stuff in the replies. It's good to hear about all the other similar aircraft still flying around the globe too. Seeing these posts, as well as the youngsters in white overalls on the flightline, give me hope that these gorgeous aircraft will be around for quite a while yet

It was after the Avro Nineteen had boomed past, low and fast, that I turned to my friend and said "if that doesn't move you, even slightly, you can't be alive!"

I mean, seriously, just listen to this thing bellow!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    Wonderful aircraft, beautiful shots!

The Glider is a German SG-38 btw.
    Its actually an EoN (Elliots of Newbury) Primary (copy of an SG-38)

http://shuttleworth.org/shuttleworth...ails.asp?ID=44

Oh wow, that''s worth planning a vacation for just to see all these planes. Thanks for sharing this. Some of my favourite planes are there!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkingManNeil View Post
    From the PPRuNe forum:

"Having read the relevant chapters of the Tiger Moth Story, apparently the Tiger passed its trials at Martlesham easily and its spinning characteristics were considered "well mannered". During the war, however, a number of aircraft were exhibiting a reluctance to recover form spins and some of the worst offenders were thoroughly tested at Boscombe Down (?). The worst once took 13 turns to recover! Yikes!

Apparently it was the only one with bomb racks fitted. It turned out that the reason was an increase in weight - three coats of paint as the training colours/camoflague schemes were amended, the addition of mass balance weights in the ailerons, plus bomb racks on certain aircraft... The <nobr>extra weight</nobr> in the wings acted like a fly-wheel... An impressed Tiger that had avoided the <nobr>weight gain</nobr> was also tested and confirmed the findings. The cure was to remove the aileron mass <nobr>balances</nobr> and to fit the anti-spin strakes mentioned in my post above.

Looking at the various pics in the book, post war some civillianised Tigers had the strakes removed (or hadn't been fitted with them) others didn't. Example is the famous Sea Tiger, G-AIVW, which certainly still sported them in the early sixties. I sohuld imagine that many of the aircraft that passed through Rollasons at Croydon were recovered in the course of their civillianisation, thus removing the problem."

N.
    Thanks for filling in the details, Neil. I knew it was something like that. :ernae:

Some great photos there, thanks for the post.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

I got a few more sorted out in post-processing, I'll share them too

1935 Gloster Gladiator

Lulu Belle landing and taxiing

A rather distorted photostitch of one of the hangers

Wonderful photo's Private Custard and many thanks for sharing them.:salute::salute::salute:

Brought back memories of my first ever flight from Yeadon Flying Club ( Leeds Bradford Airport as it is now known).

It was in a Miles Gemini and it was a Birthday Treat, I was seven years old, been hooked ever since.

I loved the Gemini....and not just because it's my star sign!

To be honest, there were a lot of aircraft there that I didn't really know about. It's only my second season getting back into airshows, and I seem to have gotten into a prop/vintage thing, rather than the jets when I was in my teens.

Although that might change a little.....Waddington may have a Viggen this year