The Shuttleworth Collection Flying Day 06/16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Shuttleworth Collection Flying Day 06/16

The Shuttleworth Collection Flying Day 06/16

Post #1 of 4

Because you guys are seriously into your vintage stuff!

On Sunday, I made my first trip to Old Warden to see the Shuttleworth Collection. They were running one of their many flying days, where they wheel out a large number of their rare vintage aircraft and let them breath the free air for a bit.

I'd been paying very close attention to the weather and decided that a little cloud wouldn't spoil the day. Light for the photography wasn't an issue as I'd already decided that I was going to go for even more severe prop-blur in my shots than at duxford, by shooting at 1/200s, rather than the fairly noob-ish 1/500 - 1/640 I was using at Duxford!

The morning was breezy, but sunny. I was about the tenth car in the queue, so ended up parking almost on top of the flightline. As the morning went on, it got greyer, and then it spat with rain in the middle of the afternoon.....but ended up as a glorious summer day from about 3pm onwards.

I spent over ten hours there......you'll see why I waited on at the end later

Anyway, here are some of the shots I gathered, in order of time. My hit-rate was down, due to extremely slow shutter speeds, but I exceeded what I was hoping for, again! All in-flight shots were taken with the 7D and 100-400 L.

Faces of yesteryear, shot with my shiny new 24-105 L

BBMF Spitfire Mk.PRXIX 'The Last'. Just getting my settings sorted, and he was going too quick to really adjust many settings!

1936 Westland Lysander. The only airworthy example in the world apparently.

1945 Miles Gemini. A beautiful little aircraft indeed

Miles M3A Falcon Six

1942 Fieseler Storch. My personal favourite of the day. It could land and take off using only about 30 yards of runway, it could also turn on a dime. Never seen anything like it!

1946 Avro Nineteen Anson. I was looking forward to this one. During the morning, before the display actually started, he'd been doing a few circuits and low flyovers for the crowd. I sounds absolutely glorious, a lovely low bellow. This one has presence!

Continued below.....

Post #2 of 4

1942 DH82a Tiger Moth

1946 DCH 1 Chipmunk

1939 Miles Magister

1937 Hawker Demon (top) & 1935 Hawker Hind. As was the case all day, when two aircraft were in formation, sharpness for both aircraft was an issue. On the rare occasions I managed to pan at exactly the right speed, they were always travelling at minutely different speeds (as well as changing perspective as they passed), making dual focus really really hard!

1935 Hawker Hind

1937 Hawker Demon

Continued below....

Post #3 of 4

A vintage glider. If anyone knows the name of it, I'd love to know.

This pilot was a legend. Perched precariously on the front, with nothing but an epic moustache for protection, he flew this one flawlessly, making a perfect landing straight towards the crowd.

1941 Hawker Sea Hurricane Ib passing Lulu Belle

1943 P-40 Kittyhawk 'Lulu Belle'

I wanted to test the video function on the 7D, but space on my good cards was limited. Also, we were mid-display, so I didn't want to change lenses. But here's a little footage of 'Lulu Belle' before her departure. Please excuse the sloppy camerawork, I'm not really a video guy, especially holding that combo out at arms length as I had to use the LCD as the viewfinder!

1080p, 25fps.

1941 Hawker Sea Hurricane 1b

1916 Sopwith Pup

1918 Bristol F.2B Fighter

Continued below....

Post #4of 4

1918 Royal Aircraft Factory SE5A

Extra 330SC. This pilot was amazing, simply awesome skills!

It's now the end of the day, so people start tailing off. The announcer says over the tannoy that if we hang around for 40 minutes, whilst a few aircraft come and go and some circuits are flown, they'll see if they can fly some of the edwardian aircraft. So about a third of the crowd stick around. It's a beautiful day now anyway, and what else would I rather be doing on a Sunday evening??

The Storch.....shot at 1/30s, at 220mm. It's the only way to make it look like it's actually moving!

The Miles Gemini, shot against the retreating clouds that haven't threatened us for quite a while.

Unfortunately the winds stayed at 7kts. Two of the Edwardian aircraft can only fly in 4kt winds, maximum, so are wheeled away

BUT, they bring out the replica 1911 Avro Triplane, which capped off an amazing day, looking absolutely splendid against the darkening skies, with the low sun coming from directly behind us.

As always, if anyone wants wallpaper-sized images for themselves, or larger copies for reference (model creation, liveries etc...), just let me know

1500px images are on my flickr page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/private_custard/

Hope you enjoyed these shots

Those are some really terrific shots! You should considering posting them in the photography forum: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...69-Photography

:ernae:

These are a real treat, PC! I like the Storch on takeoff, you can really see the HP leading-edge flaps as well as the trailing-edge ones, but to see the Avro tripe fly definitely put the crown on your day.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Great shots! I particularly love the AVRO Triplane, a model I've always wanted for FsX:ernae:
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Charter Member 2015
    Some fantastic captures there. Very sharp images with just the right amount of prop blur.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Amazing shots which were great to see. Thanks very much for sharing them.

I must visit the collection myself over the summer.

Thanks again,

Ade

Great Bunch of photo's .. Gawd! your not joking about that glider pilot "but an epic moustache for protection" love that <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Doesn't the CWH own an airworthy Lysander in Canada? Also there are Avro Ansons flying in Holland and New Zealand.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Superb photos, PrivateCustard! Thank you for sharing these from this past weekends Shuttleworth event (with numerous Shuttleworth events throughout the flying season, I tend to spend quite a bit of time enjoying taking in photo threads like these from Old Warden). I particularly like the Miles M3A Falcon Six and the Hawker biplane fighters, and Peter Teichman's recently re-finished P-40 looks absolutely superb (any Warbird owner that could afford it would be dumb not to hire Warbird Colour Services to paint their aircraft, if they desired a very authentic paint scheme (tremendously researched) and assorted detailing).

Regarding the Lysander - there are a couple others that are also routinely flown these days, both based in Canada - one is owned and flown by the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum (http://www.warplane.com/vintage-airc...?aircraftId=37), and another is owned and flown by Vintage Wings of Cananda (http://www.vintagewings.ca/Aircraft/...nder-IIIA.aspx). There is also a fourth example, based in Belgium with the Sabena Old Timers collection (OO-SOT), which has been receiving attention for a few years now to fly again soon (it having been flown quite a bit in the 90's) - I'm not sure if it has flown again yet or not. (There is also one under restoration to flying condition right now at ARCo (Duxford).)
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Looking at the Tiger Moth K2585 can someone tell me what that addition to the fuselage just forward of the tail piece is.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    Looking at the Tiger Moth K2585 can someone tell me what that addition to the fuselage just forward of the tail piece is.
    Its something to so with altering the stall / spin characteristics when the Tiger Moth carried dummy bombs under the wings in military service as a trainer. Can't give you the aerodynamic details, but thats the gist of it.

Hogs Heaven for those who love Vintage Aviation. Thanks for posting. I shall come back and look at these again when I have a bit more time to enjoy them.

Matt

Thanks mate.

Cheers
    Pat

My favourite show on earth. I wish I was there! You photography is top notch, as I do feel I was there! Thank you!

Splendid, I also love your commentary!

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Wonderful aircraft, beautiful shots!

The Glider is a German SG-38 btw.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    Also there are Avro Ansons flying in Holland and New Zealand.
    There was an Anson flying here last week, but it's based in England.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by Geomitrak View Post
    Its something to so with altering the stall / spin characteristics when the Tiger Moth carried dummy bombs under the wings in military service as a trainer. Can't give you the aerodynamic details, but thats the gist of it.
    From the PPRuNe forum:

"Having read the relevant chapters of the Tiger Moth Story, apparently the Tiger passed its trials at Martlesham easily and its spinning characteristics were considered "well mannered". During the war, however, a number of aircraft were exhibiting a reluctance to recover form spins and some of the worst offenders were thoroughly tested at Boscombe Down (?). The worst once took 13 turns to recover! Yikes!

Apparently it was the only one with bomb racks fitted. It turned out that the reason was an increase in weight - three coats of paint as the training colours/camoflague schemes were amended, the addition of mass balance weights in the ailerons, plus bomb racks on certain aircraft... The <nobr>extra weight</nobr> in the wings acted like a fly-wheel... An impressed Tiger that had avoided the <nobr>weight gain</nobr> was also tested and confirmed the findings. The cure was to remove the aileron mass <nobr>balances</nobr> and to fit the anti-spin strakes mentioned in my post above.

Looking at the various pics in the book, post war some civillianised Tigers had the strakes removed (or hadn't been fitted with them) others didn't. Example is the famous Sea Tiger, G-AIVW, which certainly still sported them in the early sixties. I sohuld imagine that many of the aircraft that passed through Rollasons at Croydon were recovered in the course of their civillianisation, thus removing the problem."

N.

Wonderful photos. Old Warden is my favorite flying venue..... alas... too far away for me most of the time. Oh, it occurred to me that we are building quite a collection of their aircraft for FSX... the Lizzie, Gladiator, Storch and Cub, and the Anson joining the list soon.
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

Simply great stuff. The P-40 Lulu Belle reminded me it won't be long for Mike upcoming P-40N. Thanks for sharing.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD