Superbug?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Superbug?

Superbug?

Is the Superbug still the ultimate carrier simulation aircraft or is there any other that would be close? Also confused as to pricing of the bug, online it is about 40 or so bucks but you can get it boxed from Amazon for around 23 bucks?

Quote Originally Posted by TeiscoDelRay View Post
    Is the Superbug still the ultimate carrier simulation aircraft or is there any other that would be close? Also confused as to pricing of the bug, online it is about 40 or so bucks but you can get it boxed from Amazon for around 23 bucks?
    Thats the VRS (vertical reality simulations) F/A-18...you can buy it online or boxed...I see it in the stores.
    FSX Miramar XO, RAZBAM Flying Club founder, Team member, crud crew, beta tester, and all around good guy!

Quote Originally Posted by TeiscoDelRay View Post
    Is the Superbug still the ultimate carrier simulation aircraft or is there any other that would be close?
    Yes, and it still remains the best military jet available for FSX.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwikat View Post
    That would be "in your opinion" ... a rather subjective assertion, in my view, in light of the numerous military jet products available since then.

One could argue the Milviz F-86, the RFN Etendard IV, and the Flying Stations Buccaneer S.1 easily the equal of the VRS bug. Good as it might be, and much as you personally might like it, claiming it to be the best is neither a universal truth - nor does it help the question. And yes, I'm aware the Sabre is not a carrier plane - I say that in the context of "the best military jet available" comment.

I got the VRS Bug, and yes, it, has a myriad systems, superbly detailed, and it has every conceivable repaint - but after a few months, I got bored with it, and it got removed and binned. I have zero to complain with it - it's accuracy and depth cannot be argued - but it just didn't turn my crank like I hoped it would. So even if it's the top selling product, it has to strike a particular chord. For some it has - for some of us it hasn't, and no amount of fanboying is going to change that.

Insofar as "the ultimate" carrier fsx carrier sim aircraft, then maybe if TdR spells out which genre(s) (time periods, etc.) he likes, then one can do a better job at recommending.

DL

I really love the VRS bird. One thing that would make me fly it non-stop would be the addition of realistic buffeting.

Quote Originally Posted by MenendezDiego View Post
    I really love the VRS bird. One thing that would make me fly it non-stop would be the addition of realistic buffeting.
    I would say, more the sound the strakes rumbling(high AoA drag). There's little to no buffeting during maneuvering in the actual Super Hornet. Some cams show high g pulls that seem to show a lot of buffeting but it's deceiving(possibly rough air at low level @ high AoA and/or a loose/flexing cam mount). But generally it's pretty smooth during hard maneuvering.

I added the Gforce vibration gauge to some of my models but it's not correct for many types. Just too much visible shaking going on(more the appearance of a full stall). The old FS9 KBT F-2 model had a nearly perfect representation of the sound made during high g loadings on these fighter. I may see about merging those sounds into the Gforce vibration gauge setup and see how it works.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

absolutely, vrs f/a18 is the best fighter in fsx. add tacpack and it has the most innovative and comprehensive avionics of any fsx payware.

"best"???

The "best" carrier aircraft?

That word--"best"- is suspect. What makes a good carrier a/c? :salute:

I have been trapping in fs carriers for years, and have about 500-600 successful traps in 4 sims--the majority if fs9. Since I am a naval aviation enthusiast, I have flown everything from carrier a/c of the 30's (like the Hawker Osprey and some Blackburn biplanes to today's, many British, many French (Alize and Etendards) , many American (WWII to today), Koerean War jets and Hawker Sea Furies, Seafires, etc etc. I can tell you that almost all have different features in their airfile, and different parameters.
    Two things make a carrier aircraft:
    1. The ability to stop via the hook
    2. The ability to take off or be catapulted before the end of the deck comes up.
    All else is frills and luxury.
    A few carrier a/c that stand out are UKMIL's Buccaneers, the old Alphasim A-7E Corsair, the old Sasala E-2C Hawkeye and A-6 Intruder, the KB Team Hornets, the Alphasim Sea Vixen and a Scimitar I once found, the Gannet, etc, and all the Dino Cattaneo Tomcats and T-45 Hawks, plus the older F3H Demon by Alphasim and many Phantoms, British and American.... No end to the long list. And the series of payware FLIGHT DECK CARRIERS is there for trying, plus many freeware carriers, AI carriers, etc etc.

And of course, you would not want to land oh HMS Ark Royal with a the Superbug if any amount of fidelity is needed.
    To get a real feel for carrier ops, you must try many aircraft and many carriers, older and newer and then you will see how many ways the cat can jump.

How about a Fairey Barracuda? That would give some simmers an unusual plane and some fun too.

Among the tools, do not forget Arrestor Cables (Arrcab), 3 Wire, and all the addons that help one trap and stop on a deck--many out there. Rob Barendregt has some of the best tools also, though his stuff requires learning.

Nick<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->
    RCBco-

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwikat View Post
    I rather like Lotus sims L-39 - which I think is the best overall simulation outside of DCS. Not a carrier aircraft I know, but its very worthy of note.

Quote Originally Posted by centuryseries View Post
    I rather like Lotus sims L-39 - which I think is the best overall simulation outside of DCS. Not a carrier aircraft I know, but its very worthy of note.

I tend to agree here........the L-39 was one of my first FSX jets and I have to say....even with its age.....it is tops on my list of current hangered jets that I fly regualrly. Great flight model, and outstanding FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by jinx View Post
    The "best" carrier aircraft?

That word--"best"- is suspect. What makes a good carrier a/c? :salute:

I have been trapping in fs carriers for years, and have about 500-600 successful traps in 4 sims--the majority if fs9. Since I am a naval aviation enthusiast, I have flown everything from carrier a/c of the 30's (like the Hawker Osprey and some Blackburn biplanes to today's, many British, many French (Alize and Etendards) , many American (WWII to today), Koerean War jets and Hawker Sea Furies, Seafires, etc etc. I can tell you that almost all have different features in their airfile, and different parameters.
    Two things make a carrier aircraft:
    1. The ability to stop via the hook
    2. The ability to take off or be catapulted before the end of the deck comes up.
    All else is frills and luxury.
    A few carrier a/c that stand out are UKMIL's Buccaneers, the old Alphasim A-7E Corsair, the old Sasala E-2C Hawkeye and A-6 Intruder, the KB Team Hornets, the Alphasim Sea Vixen and a Scimitar I once found, the Gannet, etc, and all the Dino Cattaneo Tomcats and T-45 Hawks, plus the older F3H Demon by Alphasim and many Phantoms, British and American.... No end to the long list. And the series of payware FLIGHT DECK CARRIERS is there for trying, plus many freeware carriers, AI carriers, etc etc.

And of course, you would not want to land oh HMS Ark Royal with a the Superbug if any amount of fidelity is needed.
    To get a real feel for carrier ops, you must try many aircraft and many carriers, older and newer and then you will see how many ways the cat can jump.

How about a Fairey Barracuda? That would give some simmers an unusual plane and some fun too.

Among the tools, do not forget Arrestor Cables (Arrcab), 3 Wire, and all the addons that help one trap and stop on a deck--many out there. Rob Barendregt has some of the best tools also, though his stuff requires learning.

Nick<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->
    RCBco-
    Nick! How are you? Haven't corresponded with you in a long time! Pete

Attachment 85244

Now this would be a contender. If only.....

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dhazelgrove View Post
    Attachment 85244

Now this would be a contender. If only.....

Dave
    You've got to be kidding me!!!!!:isadizzy:

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    You've got to be kidding me!!!!!:isadizzy:

DaveQ
    Nope. It was a genuine proposal. The basic T5 with swing wings, enlarged ventral tank, new main gear and more weapons.
    I have a copy of the full proposal.
    Of course, you'd have to be a loony to even attempt to land it on a postage stamp - but isn't that true across the board?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dhazelgrove View Post
    Of course, you'd have to be a loony to even attempt to land it on a postage stamp - but isn't that true across the board?

Dave
    You'd have to be seriously disturbed to even contemplate landing a Lightning on a carrier - unless it was the size of Binbrook. I think the Superbug would be a bit more manageable personally!

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

I've said it previously, but I would love to see a highly detailed FJ-4 Fury in FSX.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

I personally believe it IS the best advanced fighter ever produced for FSX. There are some excellent aircraft created, but this is the PMDG of modern fighter jets. Almost no stones are left unturned. It also was the first to do things like working night vision, FLIR, working weapons, and a myriad of other systems long before anyone else created them. TacPack rounded it all out with multiplayer abilities and a myriad of upgrades to the original product.

Sorry, you may agree or disagree with me, but I feel that nothing comes as close to the fidelity and realism put into this product for a modern fighter. Period. Even the aerodynamics are run through a software fly by wire system before they are re-injected back into FSX. Nobody else has been able to successfully do that. Just look at the features page and your eyes will go goo goo by all the features.

And you'd be misinformed, Cody. The first with working weapons ANYWHERE was the MV F-15E. And it too is just chock full of systems as well. Many of the systems in the bug have also been done by others before and after. Added to that, as I understand it, working weapons, FLIR and other systems were/are added by tacpack. Now, no slight to the bug, but get your info right. (Something you might want to do elsewhere as well maybe?).

Just to be clear, it's certain that the bug does all of what it does better than most. No question.

Quote Originally Posted by krazycolin View Post
    And you'd be misinformed, Cody. The first with working weapons ANYWHERE was the MV F-15E. And it too is just chock full of systems as well. Many of the systems in the bug have also been done by others before and after. Added to that, as I understand it, working weapons, FLIR and other systems were/are added by tacpack. Now, no slight to the bug, but get your info right. (Something you might want to do elsewhere as well maybe?).

Just to be clear, it's certain that the bug does all of what it does better than most. No question.
    Oh yeah?

The following video was dated January 8, 2009
    This is the FS9 model official video, but was concurrently working in FSX and released not long after, with many reviews of the FSX version done in 2010.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNsiLBRe-sA

And this video, the official TacPack video (weapons were working at release before this addon, but this added many several new features) was dated January 12, 2011.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zfE_4JzwR4

When was your F-15E released?

The Superbug went live on SimMarket on May 6, 2010. It was available earlier on the website and for those who preordered.
    Your F-15E went live on SimMarket on March 3, 2012, nearly two years later.

Quit taking sniping shots at me. I won't entertain it further.

Oddly enough I'm reading the 'From the Cockpit' book on the Barracuda at the moment and seriously trying to find a gap in my schedule to knock one up! Obviously I'd need some way of simulating the hydraulic pipes rupturing regularly...

Cody, when KC refers to working weapons he refers to actually blowing stuff up/shooting aircraft down. Until the MV F-15E and TACPACK appeared on the scene, no other aircraft could actually do that. The vanilla superbug gave the appearance of it but as VRS themselves state it wasnt a true weapon system.
    -JB

Quote Originally Posted by Naruto-kun View Post
    Cody, when KC refers to working weapons he refers to actually blowing stuff up/shooting aircraft down. Until the MV F-15E and TACPACK appeared on the scene, no other aircraft could actually do that. The vanilla superbug gave the appearance of it but as VRS themselves state it wasnt a true weapon system.
    It was capable of shooting aircraft from the game on it's initial release in 2009, and the FSX release in 2010. That said, the VRS video I showed was a working version of the TacPack which was released in 2011. Closed beta on the TacPack begun Feb 1, 2011 which had complete and full weapons implementation. I think it's possibly arguing semantics at this point, but Milviz wasn't the first. I was looking over Jon's shoulder at internal betas of the product that had near complete weapons systems at his house back in 2010.

Jon's work is and has been iconic in this industry. His work and his team has paved the path for future addons to come. I'm not looking to steal anyone else's thunder, but I want to make sure Jon gets the credit he deserves for being such a pioneer coder and team builder in this industry.

Semantics...you are right there. We werent the first to think of it thats one thing for sure. First to release a product with it yes. But i seem recall seeing a proof of concept for a Saab Draken that someone was working on (it never got released) back in 2009. So it goes back a long way. I have no intention of getting into an argument with you on this but to rather make sure that our definitions are on the same page.
    -JB

Quote Originally Posted by Naruto-kun View Post
    Semantics...you are right there. We werent the first to think of it thats one thing for sure. First to release a product with it yes. But i seem recall seeing a proof of concept for a Saab Draken that someone was working on (it never got released) back in 2009. So it goes back a long way.
    Some of that technology had been poured over if I recall correctly. I think Jon had some collaboration with them at some point. I can't recall how it all ended up, but Jon knew early on he wanted better weapons implementations on his aircraft. Although he could definitely acquire targets on the radar and remove them from the game with missiles, etc, the new effects and coding wasn't implemented initially. At initial release, he couldn't remove buildings, etc from the game. Although he could shoot down planes, they basically disappeared in a ball of flame. It wasn't exactly what Jon wanted, but it suited the needs of the product at the time. When they finally cracked the code, everything became possible. Now with the TacPack, you can track a ground target via FLIR, blow it up on the ground, and that pretty explosion you always got now sends debris flying and removes the object from the game.

It's been a LOOOONG road to this point, but one of the reasons we put out the initial TacPack video was because there was some stirring of various products with weapons for FSX. We wanted to prove that Jon had been looking into that coding long before for the product. With over 128,000 views of the video on my channel alone, I think the marketing campaign was successful for the most part.

Well this thread has become very interesting.

As for what era I am looking for? I have a buddy that worked on the Kittyhawk during Vietnam and he comes over once a week to chat and fly a few FSX planes. I just recently discovered that the Nimtz that is so well done and free was exactly the same as the Kittyhawk so I downloaded that for him to use next time he is over.

Now to find a plane or two. I realize the Bug is a later version but the Kittyhawk had Hornets, A 4 Skyhawks (the plane he managed) and some other aircraft. I wanted to get the most realistic plane because his son is coming to town for a visit and he flew military jets and has FSX and I would like to test him out on the Nimitz and a good plane as I am sure he will know what every little button does and how to use it.

I did look at the A 4 Skyhawk of Virtavia but the Bug really seems to have all the bells and whistles.

Members who have read this thread: 1